QB of the Future: Trey Lance

DoleINGout

2 hours ago, Starless said:

Extremely high upside. He's obviously got a huge arm and elite athleticism. And he's in a class that, other than Lawrence, has no outstanding QB prospects, while there are a lot of QB-needy teams. Years like that are when teams overdraft QBs.

I don't think he's going to necessarily be a bust. But there are a TON of things he needs to work on before I'd feel comfortable putting him on the field. I'd put him on the Colin Kaepernick program - redshirt him as a rookie and only play him in year 2 if it becomes absolutely necessary. 

He's not a guy I'd want on the Patriots unless we had a capable veteran for him to learn under.

Extremely high upside.

This is every GM that drafted on upside ! 😁 Just playing Star.

Falling Off Cliff Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock

He's not a guy I'd want on the Patriots unless we had a capable veteran for him to learn under.

I'm not comfortable drafting a QB that high in the draft with so many holes in his game and holes on our roster.   Especially when you have potential stars that will be available at positions we desperately need. TE,WR and CB. The draft is loaded with quality CBs. CB replaces Gilmore.

List is impressive.

1. Patrick Surtain II

2. Caleb Farley

3. Jaycee Horn

4. Shaun Wade

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 1

Patrick Mahomes makes me view 'raw talent' guys like Lance more favorably than I did a few years ago. But even Mahomes was drafted into an extremely favorable situation that allowed him to sit for a year, then take over the reins of a team that was already in the playoffs and had a ton of talent around him. The Pats are nowhere near that point right now. 

17 minutes ago, Starless said:

Patrick Mahomes makes me view 'raw talent' guys like Lance more favorably than I did a few years ago. But even Mahomes was drafted into an extremely favorable situation that allowed him to sit for a year, then take over the reins of a team that was already in the playoffs and had a ton of talent around him. The Pats are nowhere near that point right now. 

That what I mean when I talk about the so call draft experts. I thought Mahomes was the 2nd best QB in the 2017 draft. Can you believe some of them had him in the 2nd RD.  They are talking about Lance the same way they did with Mitchell Trubisky.

IMO they are smarter guys in this forum. You and I included!!! 😁

2 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

I'm hopeful that Gilmore can replace Devin McCourty in a year and still contribute at corner in the interim. JC Jackson maybe can get an extension too, but probably say goodbye to Jason McCoutry or Jonathan Jones.

I would like to see Gilmore stay and do just what your saying, however guessing to much cost for BB. BB turns to the draft and get a safety. Draft loaded with good ones. Andre Cisco (Fav) or Paris Ford.

I think the money saved  will be used to sign JC and Jones. which is probably better for cap reasons. I hate giving up Gilmore, but I understand.

Edited by m haynes

12 hours ago, Starless said:

A guy can be a genius and also extremely arrogant, believing he can turn a scrub like Hill into an NFL starter. It's not rare. In fact, it's too common. 

This. It's almost like he's trying to justify the extension himself. He's always had a hard on for Hill. No different than when he'd put him under center in the red zone to run the read option instead of using weapons like Kamara, Thomas, and Murray.

Similar to why he brought in Winston. Some coaches feel like they can fix players that really aren't fixable. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Zach Wilson will be the best QB from this class. 

Wilson is my baby.😁  I'm not sure you can say that because IMO Wilson and Lawrence will be successful. No wait I take that back,  Lawrence is going to the Jets. They will find some way to ruin the kid!!!.

Seriously,  I think it will be a debate through the years who was the better pick. It will be like Elway (Lawrence) and Marino ( Wilson)

Edited by m haynes

This draft could end up with a lot more, "solid but not special" QB's than we've seen in awhile. I think the only person with big bust potential is Lance, all 5 of the other consensus top 6 I think could stay in the league playing at a decent level ( average starter to really good backup). 

Lance could be a pro bowl, dual threat QB ( sitting for 1-2 years) .. or he could be Trubisky. BB could also think he can "fix" Trubisky and end up signing him this off season.. fingers crossed he doesn't though. 

I don't think Gilmore is back.. we end up with a 2nd or 3rd for him and he will be gone this off season. His house going on the market at the trade deadline just screams internal drama that he had with BB. I'm surprised he's come back and played so much, I was expecting him to have a reduced role. Jason McCourty I think stays one more year and retires with Devin. 

Don't sleep on JoeJuan Williams though.. he could be the FS of the future playing alongside Dugger. That or he will end up playing a lot of corner next season with Gilmore gone.