2K20: Game #14 - Kansas City at New Orleans

onejayhawk

Big game this week. The Saints are not going as well as they were, but they are easily the best team remaining. The others are the Falcons and the Chargers.  

Mahomes' poor game against Miami has heated the MVP race. Aaron Rodgers is having one of his best seasons, with more TDs and now fewer INTs than Mahomes. It's a very close race, so the last few games will matter and the matchup with the Saints will get a lot of attention. As noted before, Rodgers may have a leg up because it could be his last chance.

The playoff picture is starting to come into focus. The Steelers' loss puts the Chiefs in control of home field through the playoffs. Even if we slip against the Saints, we still own the tie breaker. Here is a link to the ESPN calculator. There is also a thread. 
http://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

Snap counts are interesting. Yasir Durant had his first real exposure of the season when he replace Remmers. Tyreek Hill led the team in rushing with one carry. OK, it was 30+ yards to the House, but still. Le'Veon Bell had only 11 plays, two carries and three targets. Clyde played 74% of the snaps and was involved in the passing game with five receptions. Mecole Hardman continues to have restricted snaps, but still made an impact with 40 yards on the receptions and a highlight reel PR TD.

On defense, Mike Danna impressed in only 39% of the snaps. He looks to be back up to speed, finally. Wilson went out, so Niemann played almost the full game. Gay did not see a substantial rise in his snaps. When Ward went out, Fenton stepped in for his most snaps in over a month. Wharton played 57% of the snaps, while Pennel and Nnadi played 31% and 34%. It's clear who the Chiefs like for inside rush. Overall, rookies Sneed, Danna, Wharton and Gay played 153 game snaps, 43.4%, plus another 31 on ST. 

J

We still do not have an update on Mike Remmers (which is bad news at this point). Back injuries are inherently serious.

Yasir Durant played about a quarter against a good Miami defense. While he gave up a sack, he did not embarrass himself. Absent a FA signee, I expect him to start against the Saints. HC Reid had some nice things to say. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/12/14/kansas-city-chiefs-andy-reid-on-yasir-durant-mike-remmers-week-14/

Kelce is getting recognition for his league leading season. No TE has ever led the league in yardage. it's a good thing he signed a new contract before doing this.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/chiefs_star_te_travis_kelce_on_pace_to_accomplish_historic_feat/s1_127_33566108

J

Edited by onejayhawk

Folks, did you see a QB on the field during NO's performance against the Eagles this weekend?? You did? A competent one?

Answer to the first question: It Hurts ... to the second: no ..

Folks, unless Drew Brees suits up I'm not worried the least about that game. I think it's going to be boring. Hill throwing a somewhat catchable pass beyond 15 yards? Come on ... 

Edited by KC_Guy

4 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

We still do not have an update on Mike Remmers (which is bad news at this point). Back injuries are inherently serious.

Yasir Durant played about a quarter against a good Miami defense. While he gave up a sack, he did not embarrass himself. Absent a FA signee, I expect him to start against the Saints. HC Reid had some nice things to say. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/12/14/kansas-city-chiefs-andy-reid-on-yasir-durant-mike-remmers-week-14/

Kelce is getting recognition for his league leading season. No TE has ever led the league in yardage. it's a good thing he signed a new contract before doing this.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/chiefs_star_te_travis_kelce_on_pace_to_accomplish_historic_feat/s1_127_33566108

J

We do have Rankin activated and on roster. Depending on how his health has progressed, they could opt for him at RT over Durant. I think we have Witzmann on the PS as well.

At this rate, we're going to be able to field an entire OL of street free agents by the end of this.

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

We do have Rankin activated and on roster. Depending on how his health has progressed, they could opt for him at RT over Durant. I think we have Witzmann on the PS as well.

At this rate, we're going to be able to field an entire OL of street free agents by the end of this.

And hopefully they go on to earn us some comp picks. 

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

Four street free agents and the #1 overall pick. ;)

All kidding aside, Durant may be something. He was considered draftable last spring. He's not going to become Will Shields, but he may become a solid starting OG. Lucas Niang is the premium young OL we seem to lust after. His injury knocked him to late 3rd round, but he was top 50 talent. With LDT coming back, the only position that needs to be addressed is C. Everything else is longer term. 

J

Here's the story on Isadora.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/12/15/kansas-city-chiefs-danny-isidora-poached-by-pittsburgh-steelers/

I doubt he's getting picked for his knowledge of the system. The Steelers are as hard hit by injuries as we are, with Matt Feiler, Kevin Dotson and Chukuwama Okorafor being out. They had Wisniewski but released him in October. We signed him and brought him up, so the Steelers couldn't get him back from our PS. 

J

9 hours ago, KC_Guy said:

I sincerely doubt he will. Chiefs better plan without him. But they should know by early March.

I could see that too, but even doctors don't make NFL money, at least not at first. I think he has a good chance of shooting for another ring. 

As you say, we will know early in the offseason.

J

57 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Here's the story on Isadora.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/12/15/kansas-city-chiefs-danny-isidora-poached-by-pittsburgh-steelers/

I doubt he's getting picked for his knowledge of the system. The Steelers are as hard hit by injuries as we are, with Matt Feiler, Kevin Dotson and Chukuwama Okorafor being out. They had Wisniewski but released him in October. We signed him and brought him up, so the Steelers couldn't get him back from our PS. 

J

Wis still is on the PS. He was elevated for the last game only under Covid rules and returned to the PS immediately after the game (without having to clear waivers).

The full injury report. If both Remmers and Fisher are out, things could be serious. The Saints are well short of 100% as well.

Player Injury Participation*
LB Damien Wilson Knee DNP
OT Mike Remmers Back/Neck DNP
OT Eric Fisher Back DNP
WR Tyreek Hill Hamstring FP
TE Nick Keizer Ankle/Knee FP
DE Alex Okafor  Knee FP
DE Tanoh Kpassagnon Hip FP
DT Derrick Nnadi Ankle FP
C Austin Reiter Knee FP
OL Martinas Rankin Knee FP

Player Injury Participation*