2018 NFL Draft Prospects - picks and draft board pg 1

WizardHawk

7 minutes ago, CT Cowboy Fan said:

Arden Key, what’s the deal with his suspension/leave of absence? This kid can really rush the passer, and would be a great compliment opposite Lawrence and quite possible that he can he had at #19.

From what I've read, he's extremely talented but raw...no moves to speak of and basically has been getting by on pure athleticism. Hopefully not another Vernon Gholston...but ya never know.

That said...if he were there at #19, I'd strongly consider him and let Marinelli polish him up.

19: R1P19

WR JAMES WASHINGTON
OKLAHOMA STATE
51: R2P19

TE MARK ANDREWS
OKLAHOMA
83: R3P19

RB SONY MICHEL
GEORGIA
121: R4P19

EDGE JOSH SWEAT
FLORIDA STATE
136: R4P34

CB JORDAN THOMAS
OKLAHOMA
139: R4P37

LB JOSEY JEWELL
IOWA
174: R5P35

LB SKAI MOORE
SOUTH CAROLINA
176: R5P37

WR DANTE PETTIS
WASHINGTON
197: R6P19

G SCOTT QUESSENBERRY
UCLA
238: R7P19

EDGE AUSTIN BRYANT
CLEMSON

36 minutes ago, DaBoys said:
19: R1P19

WR JAMES WASHINGTON
OKLAHOMA STATE
51: R2P19

TE MARK ANDREWS
OKLAHOMA
83: R3P19

RB SONY MICHEL
GEORGIA
121: R4P19

EDGE JOSH SWEAT
FLORIDA STATE
136: R4P34

CB JORDAN THOMAS
OKLAHOMA
139: R4P37

LB JOSEY JEWELL
IOWA
174: R5P35

LB SKAI MOORE
SOUTH CAROLINA
176: R5P37

WR DANTE PETTIS
WASHINGTON
197: R6P19

G SCOTT QUESSENBERRY
UCLA
238: R7P19

EDGE AUSTIN BRYANT
CLEMSON

God I would love this.

I'd be beyond thrilled to land Bryant in the 7th. Guy is imo way better than Clelin Ferrell who's viewed by some as a top five/ten pick. 

Love the draft overall. Jewell and Moore would be huge gets for the LB corps, and Washington and Andrews along with Michel...just, awesome.

6 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

*spends time actually looking at prospects that could fit our team and no one comments. Someone plays a draft game and everyone loves it. Anger ensues*

I liked your draft, too. 

21 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Latest Mock:

• Round 1: Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia
  • Round 2: Harrison Phillips, DL, Stanford
  • Round 3: DJ Chark, WR, LSU
  • Round 4: Duke Dawson, CB, Florida
  • Round 4 (comp): Sony Michel, RB, Georgia 
  • Round 4 (comp): Joe Ostman, DE, Central Michigan
  • Round 5:  Keishawn Bierria, LB, Washington
  • Round 5 (comp): Austin Golson, C/OG, Auburn 
  • Round 6: Jake Campos, OT, Iowa State
  • Round 7: Quinton Flowers, QB, South Florida

Love picks 1-5. You're missing a comp pick. 

On 1/1/2018 at 5:37 PM, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Latest Mock:

• Round 1: Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia
  • Round 2: Harrison Phillips, DL, Stanford
  • Round 3: DJ Chark, WR, LSU
  • Round 4: Duke Dawson, CB, Florida
  • Round 4 (comp): Sony Michel, RB, Georgia 
  • Round 4 (comp): Joe Ostman, DE, Central Michigan
  • Round 5:  Keishawn Bierria, LB, Washington
  • Round 5 (comp): Austin Golson, C/OG, Auburn 
  • Round 6: Jake Campos, OT, Iowa State
  • Round 7: Quinton Flowers, QB, South Florida

I haven't seen much of Chark, Dawson, or Ostman, but I'm a fan overall from rounds 1-5 at least. Roquan, if he makes it to 19, would be awesome. Transitioning from Lee to Smith would be great for the defense. I also love Phillips as a 1-tech, super underrated player. Michel is my guy in that 4th round range if available, I think he's the perfect complimentary back.

34 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Realistically speaking, what position or prospect would have the greatest impact year 1?

Probably a 1-tech or maybe a safety honestly. A LB might get on the field due to injury, but would be a rotational piece otherwise. Can't see a WR coming in and unseating T-Will, for better or worse.

37 minutes ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

Probably a 1-tech or maybe a safety honestly. A LB might get on the field due to injury, but would be a rotational piece otherwise. Can't see a WR coming in and unseating T-Will, for better or worse.

Doubt any safety drafted is starting over Earl Thomas & the other three amigos.

1 hour ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Realistically speaking, what position or prospect would have the greatest impact year 1?

Well a LB would be nice, but as long as Sean Lee is healthy he is still one of the best LBs in the game. Regardless of his age and injury history, if he is ready to go then he plays. Ideally you want Jaylon Smith to be the other guy. You invested a lot of time and patience and a 34th overall pick in him. We need to replace Hitchens but that could be done with a pick like Kendall Flowers from Clemson or Skai Moore from SC or Josey Jewell Iowa. There looks to be several good LBs in the 3rd-5th range right now. Hitchens was a 4th rounder.

A CB would be over kill with Awuzie, Lewis, Woods, and Brown. At the same time, if he were an elite talent like Lattimore from last year then he could probably crack that roster and have an impact.

A safety as FM pointed out. A Landon Collins type prospect could come in and immediately start, as Frazier and Byron were rotating SS. And Jeff Heath is playing deep. Not exactly stacked there. The killer is that we drafted Byron Jones over Collins.  But yeah, an elite safety could have a huge impact, simply because the # of snaps a DB plays and how thin we are there.

Obviously some questions need to be answered on the DL. Lawrence is no longer under contract, David Irving is an RFA. If we can't retain Lawrence then DE immediately goes to top of my list. Even if we can bring him back, Tyrone Crawford was our starting DE opposite Lawrence. I think we could do better. If Arden Key or someone like that is the real deal then he could have a huge impact. Having both DEs bringing pressure would be huge.  On the other hand you just spent a first on Taco, and you have the wild card in Randy Gregory. 

Richard Ash is our starting 1-tech. Obviously a good NT could see opportunity by winning that job. Yet the team refuses to draft DTs in that mold. So I've stopped getting my hopes up years ago.

I think a WR could have an impact, but he would only get Brice Butler's snaps at first. And maybe work his way up to unseating TWill. I do think they will look to upgrading the position though. Everyone agrees the passing game was off. Some say Dak, some say Dez, and some say Linehan. Well Jerry Jones has recently voiced where he stands when he expressed interest in keeping Linehan, and then calling out Dez. It wouldn't surprise me if they drafted WR #1 just to create flexibility with Dezs' contract, light a fire under Dez, and add another potential WR1 without paying $10M in FA. 

TE is not an option in Rd. 1 imo. 

OL is certainly on the radar. Ideally we have our big 3 starting with La'el at RT. Cooper is a FA and looked to have suffered a big injury in week 17. If a guy like Nelson falls to 19 because he plays OG and not LT then we certainly have to look at him. His impact would quantified in Zeke's output.

And QB. Dak looked like garbage over the last half of the season. Because he had a year and a half of looking great, I'm not ready to give up on him. But he looked a lot like the guy we wanted when we drafted him. Which was simply a QB that could win us a few games if Romo gets hurt. He was never supposed to be our starter, but rather a competent backup that could lead the team if Romo got hurt.  He has exceeded expectations obviously but these last 8 games should be an eye opener enough to make you lose sleep. I'm not convinced that Dak could win an open competition with an elite prospect.

And RB. Zeke needs his breaks and the offense shouldn't go in the ****ter every 3rd series. Morris was okay but this line is like the steering wheel of a Bugatti.  Everyone looks good behind it. Obviously not a first round option but a rookie RB picked in the 3rd-5th could have a very tangible impact right from the start.

See, I want to say I agree about WR - but the transition period is so challenging that I don't know if year 1 you see a major impact. Hell, Juju is just NOW coming alive. And Mike Williams and Corey Davis and John Ross did virtually nothing this year. 

I'd imagine DT would be the most ready impact. Or LG, frankly. Maybe TE, if they are an able blocker & can somehow supplant Witten.

But of all I expect are possible in round 1, I think LBer would get the most amount of snaps as the season goes on.

Archived