2018 NFL Draft Prospects - picks and draft board pg 1

WizardHawk

13 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Bobby, what traits do you see that you really liked? Maybe it's the lack of coffee but he looked very stiff and robotic. 

You should check out Florida DT :)

Pad level, strength, hand usage, and the way he uses his weight to manipulate one-on-ones is all ?

Also, there are a couple of clips in there that have been slowed down purposefully.

And Taven Bryan is on my list to watch. Just got his film.

38 minutes ago, BobbyBelt said:

Pad level, strength, hand usage, and the way he uses his weight to manipulate one-on-ones is all ?

Also, there are a couple of clips in there that have been slowed down purposefully.

And Taven Bryan is on my list to watch. Just got his film.

OH! Well that explains it. I am watching and thinking this is such slow motion. I thought it was just my phone. lol.

4 hours ago, BobbyBelt said:

Talked to someone yesterday who said Marcus Davenport is aiming for 40 on the vertical and 4.55 on the 40 in his training.

Sooo a workout warrior whos training for the numbers?

While many years ago @Dirk Gently predicted Chris Johnson "CJ2K" based on combine numbers, persuaded me to think higher of him and got me to restudy his game film to see if it translated (it did), I really have a deep rooted dislike for numberhawks and combine trainers. I want football players. Run a 4.8 or 5.0 as a receiver, i dont care if its slow if you can run a route, track a ball well, catch the ball often, and separate from a defender. Theres more guys who run 4.3 to 4.6 who cant separate on the field and amount to nothing, than there are 4.6+ guys who are too slow for the NFL.

14 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

While many years ago @Dirk Gently predicted Chris Johnson "CJ2K" based on combine numbers, persuaded me to think higher of him and got me to restudy his game film to see if it translated (it did), I really have a deep rooted dislike for numberhawks and combine trainers. I want football players. Run a 4.8 or 5.0 as a receiver, i dont care if its slow if you can run a route, track a ball well, catch the ball often, and separate from a defender. Theres more guys who run 4.3 to 4.6 who cant separate on the field and amount to nothing, than there are 4.6+ guys who are too slow for the NFL.

Great point. I would love a prime Anquan Boldin who ran a what 4.7? Big difference between timed speed and playing speed, along with the points you made about route running and getting separation.

14 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Umm...no. The film more than speaks for itself.

Literally every single prospect sets training goals for the combine. APEC, MJP, EXOS...whatever, you name it. They are all given thresholds to hit for the combine during their training. Davenport is quite literally like every other prospect training ahead of the draft.

3 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

Great point. I would love a prime Anquan Boldin who ran a what 4.7? Big difference between timed speed and playing speed, along with the points you made about route running and getting separation.

It's really not a great point in the overall context of what he just said. To ding a player for having combine goals is stupid. Every player sets them at the training complexes they are at. It's what the trainers at those facilities demand.

Anquan Boldin and his 4.7 also had training goals. Being a freak athlete who wants to display the best of your abilities is hardly a ding. That's overthinking things for absolutely no reason.

20 minutes ago, BobbyBelt said:

Umm...no. The film more than speaks for itself.

Literally every single prospect sets training goals for the combine. APEC, MJP, EXOS...whatever, you name it. They are all given thresholds to hit for the combine during their training. Davenport is quite literally like every other prospect training ahead of the draft.

The film.eh? Where are you getting your film from? Im curious what film you are watching. Because Davenport is about as sloppy mechanically as they come. The athleticism is there. But he has a long ways to go to being a football player still - and that is a huge problem to me if he isnfocusing on combine numbers and not improving the drills and skillsets that will showcase his mechanics, which will be the top thing scouts will want to see after watching tape.

24 minutes ago, BobbyBelt said:

It's really not a great point in the overall context of what he just said. To ding a player for having combine goals is stupid. Every player sets them at the training complexes they are at. It's what the trainers at those facilities demand.

Anquan Boldin and his 4.7 also had training goals. Being a freak athlete who wants to display the best of your abilities is hardly a ding. That's overthinking things for absolutely no reason.

The difference is that Boldin was clearly ahead of the curve with his play. His route running was top of his class. His ability to separate was top tier in the decade before him. He had superb hands and his lack of perceived "game breaking speed and athleticism" was never an issue on the field because the dude played football, not put on a show working out.

Combine #s have their relevance and their place. But letting them speak louder than their ability to play football gets teams into trouble more often than not. And more players habe great numbers and fail, than players have crap numbers and succeed. The number one question should always be: Can they play football, or are they winning in college because they are just a better athlete?

EVERYONE in the pros is big, strong, fast, and athletic. In college, a good athlete can win solely on their athleticism. But then lack the football abilities (mechanics, understanding, awareness on the field, work ethic, the little things that help you outmatch someone as big/strong/fast as you) to do much in the NFL.

Most top draft busts failed for this reason. Reggie Bush, Akili Smith, a slew of Cleveland guys, and a metric f-ton of pass rushers especially where people seem to put too much value on athletes over footballers.

Watt...football player.

Jamaal Anderson...athlete.

Get the idea?

Where am I getting my film from? The schools and NFL. But continue to lecture me with your 240p Draft Breakdown cut-ups.

I know your long-standing bit as "I coach small town high school football, worship my takes," but every NFL scout and coach I've spoken with thinks you're wrong. He's raw, but his natural ability is unmatched from any edge prospect in this draft.

7 minutes ago, BobbyBelt said:

Where am I getting my film from? The schools and NFL. But continue to lecture me with your 240p Draft Breakdown cut-ups.

I know your long-standing bit as "I coach small town high school football, worship my takes," but every NFL scout and coach I've spoken with thinks you're wrong. He's raw, but his natural ability is unmatched from any edge prospect in this draft.

Davenport is going to be a good one. Would love to have him here.

13 minutes ago, BobbyBelt said:

Im not preaching as a coach nor speaking down to you one bit. Im stating the other side of the coin and speaking against the relevance of numbers and how it gets teams into trouble, and orevents players from training the proper things.

For one, Im not a coach anymore. It no longer paid enough for me to afford my divorce and logistics associated with it. Second, I also was a coach in the NCAA as both a position coach and a grad assistant, and was a recruiting assistant and assistant scout..so Ive seen qll sides really. But honestly. Whats any of that matter? Im speaking as a fan. Im not saying im better than you or vice versa.

Theres just a long track record of athleticism being a key to failure more than success. Players who need to improve their play but focus on what will get them the bigger contract end up as Jamaal Anderson and not JJ Watt.

As for getting yoir film from NFL ..ur an NFL employee then? Because their governing bylaws prevent coach film, scout film and recruiting film from being dispersed..I know from having worked twice under G. Schiano (dbag of a guy really)...unless it is all 22 film, but that comes from NFL footage not college. And i doubt all these ncaa schools are just giving you film on the players..

Personally, I record a lot of stuff and download a lot of stuff. I completely avoid highlight reels because they NEVER show the typical everydown stuff or negatives. 

12 minutes ago, Desperado82 said:

Davenport is going to be a good one. Would love to have him here.

Oh I think he is going to be good too - if he will work hard.

He is more the athletic, nimble footed raw guy who needs to develop some moves and learn to play with balance than the polished football player who will come in and kick butt. He has the skills to do very well, but hes no finished product. 

Which is what concerns me...if hes fixating on combine performance and not improving his drill performance and practicing his true craft, hes wasting precious time and focusing on the wrong thing. Practice the combine, it makes you more money - but practicing football will take him further than perfecting some straight line, unimpeded sprint in shorts.

2 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

As for getting yoir film from NFL ..ur an NFL employee then? Because their governing bylaws prevent coach film, scout film and recruiting film from being dispersed..I know from having worked twice under G. Schiano (dbag of a guy really)...unless it is all 22 film, but that comes from NFL footage not college. And i doubt all these ncaa schools are just giving you film on the players..

Personally, I record a lot of stuff and download a lot of stuff. I completely avoid highlight reels because they NEVER show the typical everydown stuff or negatives. 

I work with people in the NFL and NCAA every day...you can doubt what they give me if you want, but I have access to their professional perspectives and film...

Film_1.jpg

Film_2.jpg

Film_3.jpg

Archived