2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

4 hours ago, reddevil said:

As much as I have questioned some of the moves we have made - I don’t think there’s any need to be impatient at this stage.

Take CB for example. It could be that Poole is there preferred option and they are willing to wait in the hope they sign him. They feel either he’s worth waiting for or that there will still be some options if he doesn’t sign. Or that the market is saturated and that they can get good value. Or even that they are confident some good CBS will be cut later as teams scramble to reduce their cap.

Same with Safety. I do wonder if there’s a slim chance that the rumour about Boston around him signing late so he can avoid camp could be true and he’s effectively already signed - but not officially....

each week we wait to sign a CB the cheaper they are

15 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Apparently we're still interested in Sherman. 

Part of me thinks Mayock finally is running things because of the level of conservatism.... versus Gruden ... well ridiculousness.

but good players are drying up and we have 3-4 major holes in this roster:  RT FS CB (sCB)

I’d hate to go into the draft having to force picks to fill needs 

3 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Part of me thinks Mayock finally is running things because of the level of conservatism.... versus Gruden ... well ridiculousness.

but good players are drying up and we have 3-4 major holes in this roster:  RT FS CB (sCB)

Like the last 2 years. It makes us reach for picks. 

3 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

The last few years we've rushed to sign high profile FA and none of them have worked out for us. 

There are still some decent veteran stop gap options on the market. 

OT: Mitchell Schwartz, Alejandro Villanueva, Russell Okung, Rick Wagner, Bobby Massie, DJ Fluker, Bobby Hart

CB: Steven Nelson, Casey Heyward, Quinton Dunbar, Richard Sherman, Brian Poole

FS: Tre Boston, HaHa Clinton-Dix, Malik Hooker 

I don't think CB is a major hole currently. We've invested a ton of draft capital into the position over the last two years. I'd like to bring in a veteran like Sherman, Dunbar, Poole or Heyward. But I'm also assuming that the staff feels comfortable with Mullen/Arnette as starters and like what we have in Isaiah Johnson and Amik Robertson. 

I definitely would like to see us bring in a veteran OT and FS though. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I was thinking this after the first few days of FA. 

I'm a big believer that if we leave Mayock to do the personal, Gruden to do the offense and Gus Bradley to do the defence we'll be onto a winner. 

I expect some good defensive picks.  One thing that follows Gus Bradley around is getting stud defensive players.  Maybe he's got a good eye and knows what he wants. Maybe he's a good coach. But I'm hoping it translates. 

Right now I'd be happy with a placeholder FS that can last this season if needed and a vet corner. I wouldn't be surprised if Arnette moves into nickle if we get Sherman, or atleast get some snaps there

I wouldn’t expect much from now until the draft is over. Those vet DBs and OTs that are there now will probably still be there when the draft is over. FA has slowed down. Month away from the draft. See what you get in the draft and go back into FA after to fill anything else you need. 

2 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

I wouldn’t expect much from now until the draft is over. Those vet DBs and OTs that are there now will probably still be there when the draft is over. FA has slowed down. Month away from the draft. See what you get in the draft and go back into FA after to fill anything else you need. 

The question with this strategy is, do we reach in draft to fill these spots. Also do the price go up after draft when teams fill spots cause they missed the guys they wanted in the draft. 

23 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Adoree was a special occasion, shocked he was cut

Adoree has been hurt the last two seasons and hardly played last year and is now one of the highest paid CB's in the NFL. Ronald Darby, Shaquil Griffin, and William Jackson III also got pretty big contracts and neither played great last year. And Patrick Peterson got $10M from Minnesota. 

The only veteran CB's left that make sense are Casey Hayward, Richard Sherman, and Quinton Dunbar. 

1 hour ago, dante9876 said:

The question with this strategy is, do we reach in draft to fill these spots. Also do the price go up after draft when teams fill spots cause they missed the guys they wanted in the draft. 

Probably not because most teams won't have cap space.