Defense Discussion [2017]

CentralFC

10 minutes ago, cannondale said:

No hindsight involved. I would have fired Capers after the 15-1 season when our defense set records for futility but our offense masked it all. Capers track record had already been established long before he got here. Quick turnaround with a downward spiral after that. The problem here isn't hindsight, its MM and fans sticking their head in the sand hoping the problems go away. Looking back on some wasted years, now that would be a sad hindsight.

I'm talking about being in charge in general. Not Capers specific. I knew I should have clarified all that.

I've wanted Dom gone for a while. I hoped the players would respond or we'd add talent and gain momentum. But nothing.

11 minutes ago, cannondale said:

So if I want Capers gone, I am advocating myself for DC

So that must mean if you want him to stay, you want to be President of Operations ?

No you have two other options. Aranda or Leonhard lol

That's not what he was getting at anyways

Ken Flajole coached his 17th season as a coach in the NFL and his first in Philadelphia, where he will took over as the team’s linebackers coach. He's had stints as DC with the Rams. He also coached under Jim Fox in Carolina as LB coach, when they had studs like Dan Morgan and Jon Beason. Trying to come up with a little list of good possible replacements for Dom. Thoughts? Anybody else got some?

3 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

No you have two other options. Aranda or Leonhard lol

That's not what he was getting at anyways

I thought of Aranda too but honestly I sorta think the 3-4 is a dying defense in the NFL because teams are passing more and more. 

22 minutes ago, cannondale said:

No hindsight involved. I would have fired Capers after the 15-1 season when our defense set records for futility but our offense masked it all. Capers track record had already been established long before he got here. Quick turnaround with a downward spiral after that. The problem here isn't hindsight, its MM and fans sticking their head in the sand hoping the problems go away. Looking back on some wasted years, now that would be a sad hindsight.

This is spot on. 

Anybody think Darren Perry, Joe Whitt Jr., Winston Moss, Mike Trgovac are ready or any good for the defensive coordinator position? I personally am not a fan of Winston Moss for some reason, I guess I've seen his MLB's do nothing in his time here, so I'm not a fan of his. Trgovac is only a 3-4 guy and like I stated in a earlier post I'm not sure that's the defense to run anymore. Perry seems to me like a guy that could make a good/descent DC in this league. Whitt Jr. I really know nothing about him for some reason. Thoughts?

17 minutes ago, cooters22 said:

I thought of Aranda too but honestly I sorta think the 3-4 is a dying defense in the NFL because teams are passing more and more. 

I feel the talent being put out still fits 34olb better. That being said, everything is so multiple anymore I don't hardly think allignment matters anymore

13 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

This is spot on. 

And along with firing Capers what other decisions would he have made?

This is the point I'm trying to make. Adams is probably on another team. Or Bakhtiari, etc. When you get to pick and choose the easy ones after the fact, you miss all your own **** ups you would have made to.

It's not impartial. It's just easy.

I would have been the world's greatest GM under these rules.

5 minutes ago, cooters22 said:

Anybody think Darren Perry, Joe Whitt Jr., Winston Moss, Mike Trgovac are ready or any good for the defensive coordinator position? I personally am not a fan of Winston Moss for some reason, I guess I've seen his MLB's do nothing in his time here, so I'm not a fan of his. Trgovac is only a 3-4 guy and like I stated in a earlier post I'm not sure that's the defense to run anymore. Perry seems to me like a guy that could make a good/descent DC in this league. Whitt Jr. I really know nothing about him for some reason. Thoughts?

Gun to my head, I'd go with Whitt or Perry. I like the idea of going with a younger DC with some actual life in him. If not, I'd be fine with a Fangio given the similarities in scheme. 

7 minutes ago, cooters22 said:

So hard to even project honestly.

I suspect Moss is in the best position to make the move? Disregarding the one position he coached which probably isn't that important to the my making of a good DC.

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Gun to my head, I'd go with Whitt or Perry. I like the idea of going with a younger DC with some actual life in him. If not, I'd be fine with a Fangio given the similarities in scheme. 

Whitt feels like he has the energy young guys might like, that's my feel there. Maybe I'm wrong though.

1 minute ago, NormSizedMidget said:

And along with firing Capers what other decisions would he have made?

This is the point I'm trying to make. Adams is probably on another team. Or Bakhtiari, etc. When you get to pick and choose the easy ones after the fact, you miss all your own **** ups you would have made to.

It's not impartial. It's just easy.

I would have been the world's greatest GM under these rules.

I was simply referring to the point about Capers. I would have fired him after the 2011 season as well. 

6 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I feel the talent being put out still fits 34olb better. That being said, everything is so multiple anymore I don't hardly think allignment matters anymore

Oh yes our talent is way more 3-4 oriented but honestly how much talent do we have. Clay can play in any defense at this point and time in his career. Part of me I think Kenny Clark and Mike Daniels would be good in any defense. 

Archived