Defense Discussion [2017]

CentralFC

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

who was meh on KC before the season.  He was almost unanimously projected as the guy most likely to make a leap.  Once the season started, it was extremely evident he's one of our top players.

On the other hand, being disappointed with clowney because of availability is completely reasonable, and if a guy like mack doesn't flash pass rush ability in his rookie year, then that's a concern.  Those guys are meant to get after the QB, Clark... not so much.

The guys who were the most polarizing on here pre-season were Randall and Rollins.  Randall had a rough start and has come on really strong.  Rollins had a rougher start and then got injured.

As far as this week:

Whitehead played a few too many snaps since we were without King.  He got roasted early.  Hawkins was a little better.  We didn't see any of pipkins or Marwin Evans on defense, and we played 3 safeties a LOT, sometimes 4, and sometimes we played with 3 safeties plus 2 CBs and Joe Thomas.  That was an interesting combo.

It was a bit strange that we didn't play more CBs, and preferred to use safeties.  I had thought Hawkins had the trust of the coaching staff, but it appears they are looking to improve and play more guys who are versatile zone defenders who can blitz.

I must have addressed the fact Kenny don't have enough sacks at least ten times this year... They were using it to say he was meh.

11 hours ago, Pugger said:

And remember when Ted took Kenny in the draft and how unenthused folks were with this pick?  It might end to be one of his finest hours.

Those seem to be the picks that pan out for Ted. When he takes the "safe" pick that everybody expects he ends up being a bust.

4 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Packers D has improved to 19th overall after 12 games, giving up 22.3 points per game.

They have a real chance to improve on that ranking given that they face the worst scoring offense in the NFL (14.7 ppg) this weekend in Cleveland 

And then when they play a good offense they'll go back to getting torched. Who cares. I don't believe in this defense.

1 hour ago, strat1080 said:

And then when they play a good offense they'll go back to getting torched. Who cares. I don't believe in this defense.

Yes, if you only count the games against good offenses, every offense looks lousy.

People just want to rip on this defense.

5 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

As far as this week:

Whitehead played a few too many snaps since we were without King.  He got roasted early.  Hawkins was a little better.  We didn't see any of pipkins or Marwin Evans on defense, and we played 3 safeties a LOT, sometimes 4, and sometimes we played with 3 safeties plus 2 CBs and Joe Thomas.  That was an interesting combo.

It was a bit strange that we didn't play more CBs, and preferred to use safeties.  I had thought Hawkins had the trust of the coaching staff, but it appears they are looking to improve and play more guys who are versatile zone defenders who can blitz.

Tampa Bay used more heavy sets with 3 TEs and sometimes an extra OL lined up as a TE.

GB just matched with more safeties to counter the run and extra TEs

16 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Yes, if you only count the games against good offenses, every offense looks lousy.

People just want to rip on this defense.

"Want" is not the correct term. I don't "want" my team to consistently under-perform on defense. Heck, I have nothing against Capers, I wish he was the top defensive coordinator every freaking year if that were possible. I don't "want" to rip on the defense. But I'm also not going to defend something that isn't working just for the sake of defending it, and whether it's Capers' scheme, TT's lack of ability to add talent or the positional coaches' inability to develop, the "defense" is not working. That's why i rip on the defense. 

16 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Tampa Bay used more heavy sets with 3 TEs and sometimes an extra OL lined up as a TE.

it's true, but I saw adam humphries (their 3rd WR) out there playing 55% of snaps.  They averaged 2.34 WRs per snap and 3.67 WR/TE per snap.

We averaged 1.84 CBs per snap, and 4.93 DB per snap (3.09 Safeties).  So the additional safeties weren't just for additional TE/RB from TB.  We were very content to play nickle vs them, but it was our heavy nickle.

I think this was a "kevin king is out" response more than anything.  But why the heck was jermaine whitehead playing.... and playing 30% of snaps at that.

3 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

it's true, but I saw adam humphries (their 3rd WR) out there playing 55% of snaps.  They averaged 2.34 WRs per snap and 3.67 WR/TE per snap.

We averaged 1.84 CBs per snap, and 4.93 DB per snap (3.09 Safeties).  So the additional safeties weren't just for additional TE/RB from TB.  We were very content to play nickle vs them, but it was our heavy nickle.

I think this was a "kevin king is out" response more than anything.  But why the heck was jermaine whitehead playing.... and playing 30% of snaps at that.

I'll be honest I didn't know Whitehead was on our active roster. I was like who the hell is 35

1 hour ago, JBURGE25 said:

I'll be honest I didn't know Whitehead was on our active roster. I was like who the hell is 35

I think I saw him on specials and I'm like uh, when this dude come back lol. I caught his name on his back or I would have no idea.

6 hours ago, packfanfb said:

"Want" is not the correct term. I don't "want" my team to consistently under-perform on defense. Heck, I have nothing against Capers, I wish he was the top defensive coordinator every freaking year if that were possible. I don't "want" to rip on the defense. But I'm also not going to defend something that isn't working just for the sake of defending it, and whether it's Capers' scheme, TT's lack of ability to add talent or the positional coaches' inability to develop, the "defense" is not working. That's why i rip on the defense. 

The defense was a net of -13 yesterday. That's an above average performance in the one stat that matters. Yes the yards suck and the TOP sucks, but when you're struggling as a team, sometimes you have to win ugly. A net of -13 on defense with that performance is the definition of winning ugly. 

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The defense was a net of -13 yesterday. That's an above average performance in the one stat that matters. Yes the yards suck and the TOP sucks, but when you're struggling as a team, sometimes you have to win ugly. A net of -13 on defense with that performance is the definition of winning ugly. 

Yes, and if we had a functioning offense/QB the TOP probably isn't so lopsided either.  How many freaking 3 and outs did we have in the second half?  :/

Archived