Defense Discussion [2017]

CentralFC

33 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

I just don't see how the lack of pass rush is on Dom.

Stupid coverage makes pass rush obsolete even when it does succeed, and it's pretty hard to motivate your pass rushers when you're 69 years old with Lego hair and you sit in a press box all game. 

2 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Stupid coverage makes pass rush obsolete even when it does succeed, and it's pretty hard to motivate your pass rushers when you're 69 years old with Lego hair and you sit in a press box all game. 

If they aren't motivated because the coach is in the press box, they shouldn't be on the team.

And while there are times where we give up quick passes, there are also plenty of times where we give QBs way more then 3 seconds to make a decision. 

I'm not arguing about the backend, I'm just saying we need more talent up front. That's the #1 issue with this defense. 

6 hours ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

I'm not arguing about the backend, I'm just saying we need more talent up front. That's the #1 issue with this defense. 

I wouldn't disagree from a purely player standpoint, but I'm not gonna agree that Capers isn't to blame as well.

Going into this season, how many people would say the Steelers had more talent on the front 7 than we do?  Steelers are second in sacks and points and we're like past 20th in both.

The Patriots literally have one good pass rusher and they were like dead last for the first four weeks of the season and now they have two more than us.

We lack an elite pass rusher, but having an elite pass rusher is not the only way to have a pass rush.  Especially not when you have Daniels, Perry, Matthews, Brooks...

8 hours ago, MNPackfan32 said:

There is depth concerns at EDGE. What do we want though? We need 11 all-pro's and 6-8 back ups that are pro bowl players to yield a top 10 defense?

A 3-4 defense needs talent at OLB.  The lack of OLB talent on this team is a direct result of TT paying very little attention to the position since drafting Perry.  In the 5 drafts since Perry was drafted, Fackrell has been the only edge player taken by GB in the first 3 rounds.  Couple that with the injury history of both starters, and you have a very predictable problem at the position.  Signing Peppers helped mask the problem for a year, and Books probably would have done the same this season had he been healthy.  The core problem is only going to be improved by hitting on some picks in the upcoming drafts, and that needs to happen soon b/c Clay already appears to be a replacement level player.

Just now, spilltray said:

They've been making mid picks at OLB that havent panned out. There is the talent there to be average to decent is my point.

There was a discussion here earlier where I wanted us to throw picks at pass rusher instead of WRs like we did this year and people said it was pointless to throw flyers at pass rushers and it made sense to do that at wide receiver.  I agreed with them even though they were proving me wrong.  You don't throw flyers at pass rusher.  That's a position you aim for in the first three rounds. 

1 hour ago, spilltray said:

They've been making mid picks at OLB that havent panned out. There is the talent there to be average to decent is my point.

What picks?   The only LB picks I see in the first 5 rounds since the 2012 draft have been Bradford, Ryan, Fackrell, Martinez and Biegel.  Of those names, only Fackrell and Beigel projected to OLB on the day they were drafted.

No, I do not consider RD6+ picks to be legit attempts to restock the position, and even if I did, the only additional name would be Palmer.

Archived