Defense Discussion [2017]

CentralFC

58 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Clinton-Dix is a 25 (in December) year old safety that has flashed elite ability and people were talking about him becoming a top 3 safety in the league.  He's having a bad year in a year where we've got two new corners, one of which is a rookie.  This Clinton-Dix indeference is getting a little old.  No offense to you, but people need to quit acting like this year is a career projection season.  We've got zero pass rush.  It's a miracle any defensive back looks like anything more than a 5th string JAG.  The only reason Burnett seems so obviously better than Burnett this year is because he's playing about twice as close to the LOS as Clinton-Dix. 

Burnett is, has been and could continue to be great for us, but he's 29 at the end of the year and he's missed 26 games in his career.  Clinton-Dix will be 25 and he's missed 0 games in his career. 

Again, no offense, but this post is very not good.  I have no reason to doubt HaHa couldn't thrive by doing what Burnett has done this year, and I have no reason to doubt Burnett might struggle doing what HaHa has been doing this year. 

HaHas body language seems awful at times. I legit think he hates Dom

1 hour ago, JBURGE25 said:

This is of course all predicated on what our defense looks like next year. I don't think we switch to a 4-3 now, but if we did I would want an edge with a look at an off ball linebacker. 

I'm slowly becoming the go 43 guy. Which I used to laugh at. 

I'm becoming the change for the sake of it guy :(

10 minutes ago, LargeFarva said:

Mostly from Cincinnati having a garbage oline. Jones is good if he can beat the blocker to the hole, but once someone gets their hands on him he's done.

And I don't think that kind of athlete should be hyped from blitzing either. 

42 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

HaHas body language seems awful at times. I legit think he hates Dom

He's probably tired of being preoccupied trying to cover up mistakes from our corners. 

He should be roving, reading eyes, taking chances, but it seems like they have him on alert at all times for a mistake on the boundary

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Clinton-Dix is a 25 (in December) year old safety that has flashed elite ability and people were talking about him becoming a top 3 safety in the league.  He's having a bad year in a year where we've got two new corners, one of which is a rookie.  This Clinton-Dix indeference is getting a little old. 

The "demise" of HHCD is absolutely confounding.

I was sure he was going to be elite in 2016. I chalked up his mediocre season to all the injuries at CB.

This season?

I have no idea why he looks so bad, but I do worry he might be the next dback after Hayward and Hyde to go elsewhere and flourish.

It must be as demoralizing to play for a mediocre (at best) defense year after year is it is for fans to watch it.

46 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

They just don't buy what he sells anymore, right or wrong. That's my feeling.

I'm sure it's demoralizing to hear opposing QB's comment on how they knew what the GB defense was doing the entire game, and they simply audibled to the matchups they wanted.  No doubt that's the source of some of the bizarre matchups we've seen for the ILB's in coverage, not to mention the regular breakdowns on 3rd and long. Capers is a lot of things, but his days of being a trailblazer in the scheme dept are long past.

2 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

HaHas body language seems awful at times.

He reminds me of Sharper the Matador out there in recent games

My guess is an undisclosed injury, bad shoulder or something. He's not laying the wood, he's "ushering" guys to the ground and is letting others do the heavy hitting. Seems like he's protecting an injury, but that's just speculation

17 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

He reminds me of Sharper the Matador out there in recent games

My guess is an undisclosed injury, bad shoulder or something. He's not laying the wood, he's "ushering" guys to the ground and is letting others do the heavy hitting. Seems like he's protecting an injury, but that's just speculation

I've wondered the exact same thing

23 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I'm sure it's demoralizing to hear opposing QB's comment on how they knew what the GB defense was doing the entire game, and they simply audibled to the matchups they wanted.  No doubt that's the source of some of the bizarre matchups we've seen for the ILB's in coverage, not to mention the regular breakdowns on 3rd and long. Capers is a lot of things, but his days of being a trailblazer in the scheme dept are long past.

With how much film study QBs do I'm not surprised they all know what every defense is doing.  So it all comes down to execution and/or talent.  We have some talent but a lot of it is very young and inexperienced.  If you can't rus the passer and give even a pedestrian QB time back there you're gonna get burned no matter who is in your secondary.

Archived