Defense Discussion [2017]

CentralFC

Just now, skibrett15 said:

why was clay good today?

Oh, it was definitely not him being good and it was somebody else sucking.  No way Clay Matthews has any value left.  He's washed up for sure and can't ever be good.  He's so bad he shouldn't even be on the team next year. 

23 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Oh, it was definitely not him being good and it was somebody else sucking.  No way Clay Matthews has any value left.  He's washed up for sure and can't ever be good.  He's so bad he shouldn't even be on the team next year. 

I think most just don't care for his contract .. he can still play.  He was really on today, but it's not like he's lived up to that contract the past few years.  I am intrigued as to whether a new coordinator could figure out how to get more out of him.  I think Dom does a lot to find him good opportunities, but our blitzes are so predictable that other teams see them coming from a mile away.

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think most just don't care for his contract .. he can still play.  He was really on today, but it's not like he's lived up to that contract the past few years.  I am intrigued as to whether a new coordinator could figure out how to get more out of him.  I think Dom does a lot to find him good opportunities, but our blitzes are so predictable that other teams see them coming from a mile away.

I think Horizonto was being sarcastic.  lol

10 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Now the casuals will realize he's good lol

It's just funny to me how he's literally the most promising NT in the league right now, he turned 22 a month ago, and people here were "meh" on him because "he didn't get enough sacks."  It's completely indicative of Packer fandom right now.  Packer fans would call Mack a bust after his rookie year.  They would have cut Clowney each of his first three years. 

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

It's just funny to me how he's literally the most promising NT in the league right now, he turned 22 a month ago, and people here were "meh" on him because "he didn't get enough sacks."  It's completely indicative of Packer fandom right now.  Packer fans would call Mack a bust after his rookie year.  They would have cut Clowney each of his first three years. 

That's kind of how it works with a lot of fans, of any team. You need to be making turnovers to show up. Or sacks in this case 

10 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

who was meh on KC before the season.  He was almost unanimously projected as the guy most likely to make a leap.  Once the season started, it was extremely evident he's one of our top players.

On the other hand, being disappointed with clowney because of availability is completely reasonable, and if a guy like mack doesn't flash pass rush ability in his rookie year, then that's a concern.  Those guys are meant to get after the QB, Clark... not so much.

The guys who were the most polarizing on here pre-season were Randall and Rollins.  Randall had a rough start and has come on really strong.  Rollins had a rougher start and then got injured.

As far as this week:

Whitehead played a few too many snaps since we were without King.  He got roasted early.  Hawkins was a little better.  We didn't see any of pipkins or Marwin Evans on defense, and we played 3 safeties a LOT, sometimes 4, and sometimes we played with 3 safeties plus 2 CBs and Joe Thomas.  That was an interesting combo.

It was a bit strange that we didn't play more CBs, and preferred to use safeties.  I had thought Hawkins had the trust of the coaching staff, but it appears they are looking to improve and play more guys who are versatile zone defenders who can blitz.

41 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

who was meh on KC before the season.  He was almost unanimously projected as the guy most likely to make a leap.  Once the season started, it was extremely evident he's one of our top players.

On the other hand, being disappointed with clowney because of availability is completely reasonable, and if a guy like mack doesn't flash pass rush ability in his rookie year, then that's a concern.  Those guys are meant to get after the QB, Clark... not so much.

The guys who were the most polarizing on here pre-season were Randall and Rollins.  Randall had a rough start and has come on really strong.  Rollins had a rougher start and then got injured.

As far as this week:

Whitehead played a few too many snaps since we were without King.  He got roasted early.  Hawkins was a little better.  We didn't see any of pipkins or Marwin Evans on defense, and we played 3 safeties a LOT, sometimes 4, and sometimes we played with 3 safeties plus 2 CBs and Joe Thomas.  That was an interesting combo.

It was a bit strange that we didn't play more CBs, and preferred to use safeties.  I had thought Hawkins had the trust of the coaching staff, but it appears they are looking to improve and play more guys who are versatile zone defenders who can blitz.

Just wait till next season when Capers unleashes the 8 safety goalline package

Archived