Defense Discussion [2017]

CentralFC

19 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

you seriously need to stop saying things like this.  Just post the first part; your point is well made.

I said, "This post is very not good."  "Very not good."  If that ain't clear I wasn't being condescending, I don't know what is.  I made it clear in the first paragraph and the last paragraph I wasn't trying to take it out on him, just a general perception of Clinton-Dix.  So you seriously need to send a PM to Cwood or Ray the next time you take issue with my posting style because you telling me this is twice as bad as anything you're chastising me for. 

7 minutes ago, Kenrik said:

Green Bay has never stopped anyone in the redzone from scoring?

Looks like it according to Fennell.

He also details just how bad the pass defense is on 3rd down.

Ben Fennell @BenFennell_NFL 8h8 hours ago
More3rd Down Defense: Completion Percentage

T-1. BAL/KC 50%
3. JAX 50.9%

30. MIA 69.1%

31. GB 70.9%

32. OAK 72.7%

1 hour ago, deltarich87 said:

pass rushers wanted in GB....desperately

I feel like we keep drafting edge players who aren't really edge players. We did it with Ryan and moved him inside. Fackrell looks like he may be headed inside. I feel the same way about Biegel, I know it's real early on him but he doesnt look like an edge player. He just looks like Jake Ryan playing edge. The guy we missed on was Lawson. A true bulky, mean edge player who was there for the taking several times. I know he had medical concerns but no more than Biegel...

3 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

100% success rate in the red zone is kinda a slap in the face to the title of bend but don't break. 

That's because "bend but dont break" is a myth. Just a catch phrase that Dom apologists have manufactured over the years to try to explain or excuse our defense way underperforming the last 7 years under Capers.

23 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

That's because "bend but dont break" is a myth. Just a catch phrase that Dom apologists have manufactured over the years to try to explain or excuse our defense way underperforming the last 7 years under Capers.

Is football outsiders an Ernest apologist website? One of their key metrics is 'bendability'.

19 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I'm not a Capers apologist, but the defense does tend to be pretty high in turnovers:

2009: 2nd     2010: 3rd   2011: 2nd     2012: 17th    2013: 23rd     2014: 4th     2015: 18th     2016: 15th    2017: Currently tied for 5th

Obviously there's a little more to it than just turnovers but it seems 2012 is when offenses started to 'figure him out'.  2014 was the year our offense was dropping 50 in a half so it makes sense we'd be high on the interceptions for that year. 

37 minutes ago, KFP7 said:

I'm not a Capers apologist, but the defense does tend to be pretty high in turnovers:

2009: 2nd     2010: 3rd   2011: 2nd     2012: 17th    2013: 23rd     2014: 4th     2015: 18th     2016: 15th    2017: Currently tied for 5th

Obviously there's a little more to it than just turnovers but it seems 2012 is when offenses started to 'figure him out'.  2014 was the year our offense was dropping 50 in a half so it makes sense we'd be high on the interceptions for that year. 

Also coincides with the decline/departure of Charles Woodson and Tramon Williams.

Again, I still think the most important thing for this defense is two SOLID corners. Allows Capers to run that complicated secondary where it gives the safeties freedom

Archived