Defense Discussion [2017]

CentralFC

48 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

If 15 T Tackles, INT, fumble recovery and Passed defensed isn't a spectacular game for a MLB, I don't know what is.

I won't argue there. What I'm saying is in general. Blake is good, he's not Luke Kuechly, but we really don't need to invest heavily to upgrade the position. 

1 hour ago, MNPackfan32 said:

I won't argue there. What I'm saying is in general. Blake is good, he's not Luke Kuechly, but we really don't need to invest heavily to upgrade the position. 

I agree that Ryan is unspectacular, but would argue blake is much closer to spectacular than solid lately.

1 minute ago, deltarich87 said:

Pair Blake with a speedy ILB who can cover and let Blake feast vs the run. Ryan fills out the depth behind both

Yupp, and that's what we have in Burnett and Josh Jones. This defense is strong up the middle.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

I agree that Ryan is unspectacular, but would argue blake is much closer to spectacular than solid lately.

That's fair. I'm not wild about Blake in coverage, but maybe some of his tasks are unreasonable. Blake is definitely playing the best ILB we have seen since... What? Peak Bishop?

54 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

Pair Blake with a speedy ILB who can cover and let Blake feast vs the run. Ryan fills out the depth behind both

Like Joe Thomas? Or Morgan Burnett? Or Josh Jones? :)

Too bad we haven't had those 3 all healthy this year...sigh. I'd take another true LB with cover skills though on this squad.

1 hour ago, deltarich87 said:

This. We shouldn't be satisfied with Ryan. He's average. We need to hit on a Mosley or Shazier, the guys we have been close to getting  the past few years and put him in the middle with Blake.

6 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

This. We shouldn't be satisfied with Ryan. He's average. We need to hit on a Mosley or Shazier, the guys we have been close to getting  the past few years and put him in the middle with Blake.

And if we are drafting in the mid-teens this spring we have a shot at getting such a player.  Most of these types are long gone once you hit #20+ like we've been these past several years.

9 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Man, Martinez and Shazier would be fun together.

Just now, Pugger said:
8 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

And if we are drafting in the mid-teens this spring we have a shot at getting such a player.  Most of these types are long gone once you hit #20+ like we've been these past several years.

If we take an ILB in the first round the one year we have a top 15 pick I will lose my mind. I would much rather take another shot at a corner, or take a pass rusher. Martinez is plenty good enough for us and we still have him for 2 more years. We don't need a second ILB when nickel is our base. Seattle does it because they have the secondary to handle running base a lot. 

Just now, JBURGE25 said:

If we take an ILB in the first round the one year we have a top 15 pick I will lose my mind. I would much rather take another shot at a corner, or take a pass rusher. Martinez is plenty good enough for us and we still have him for 2 more years. We don't need a second ILB when nickel is our base. Seattle does it because they have the secondary to handle running base a lot. 

I don't know if we need to get yet another CB in the first.  Randall seems to be coming around and King has shown a lot of promise.  I do agree - a pass rusher is the top priority this time around.

9 minutes ago, Pugger said:
14 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

I don't know if we need to get yet another CB in the first.  Randall seems to be coming around and King has shown a lot of promise.  I do agree - a pass rusher is the top priority this time around.

This is of course all predicated on what our defense looks like next year. I don't think we switch to a 4-3 now, but if we did I would want an edge with a look at an off ball linebacker. 

4 hours ago, ArthurPensky said:

Re-signing Burnett is looking like a priority to me. I'd rather have him over Ha-Ha next year at this point.

Clinton-Dix is a 25 (in December) year old safety that has flashed elite ability and people were talking about him becoming a top 3 safety in the league.  He's having a bad year in a year where we've got two new corners, one of which is a rookie.  This Clinton-Dix indeference is getting a little old.  No offense to you, but people need to quit acting like this year is a career projection season.  We've got zero pass rush.  It's a miracle any defensive back looks like anything more than a 5th string JAG.  The only reason Burnett seems so obviously better than Burnett this year is because he's playing about twice as close to the LOS as Clinton-Dix. 

Burnett is, has been and could continue to be great for us, but he's 29 at the end of the year and he's missed 26 games in his career.  Clinton-Dix will be 25 and he's missed 0 games in his career. 

Again, no offense, but this post is very not good.  I have no reason to doubt HaHa couldn't thrive by doing what Burnett has done this year, and I have no reason to doubt Burnett might struggle doing what HaHa has been doing this year. 

Archived