Defense Discussion [2017]

CentralFC

21 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

What do I want?  Jalen Collins.  When do I want him?  Right now.

Somebody tell me how stupid I am for wanting him.  He's 24 years old until March. 

Raiders just fired their defensive coordinator and they have less wins than us.  Why can't we fire Capers?  Because his defense performed well the last two weeks against two bad offenses. 

This post is everywhere. 

But you do have to wonder why Atlanta gave up on him...

On 11/21/2017 at 12:40 PM, skibrett15 said:

The injury excuse - 

2016 adjusted games lost on defense: 19th (higher is worse) with 35.3 AGL.

2015 AGL on defense: 14th with 26.5 AGL

2014 AGL on defense: 9th with 31.0 AGL

2013 AGL on Defense: 29th with 59.3 AGL

2012: can't find full data, team overall was 32nd (most injured team with) 100+ AGL across both offense and defense.

2011: same thing, but team was 16th rather than 32nd.

AGL is really questionable with this defense because you don't get the depth you need when it comes to stacking injuries. Stacking injuries has been our downfall in recent  years. Losing our entire secondary last year killed us, but you only lose credit for losing the first 2/3 with AGL. When you lose 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6. That's where as a DC, you're kind of screwed. 

5 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

AGL is really questionable with this defense because you don't get the depth you need when it comes to stacking injuries. Stacking injuries has been our downfall in recent  years. Losing our entire secondary last year killed us, but you only lose credit for losing the first 2/3 with AGL. When you lose 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6. That's where as a DC, you're kind of screwed. 

We had 26 AGL at DB in 2016 which was 5th worst at that specific position last year.

It was bad for sure, but it wasn't historically bad, and was 10th worst from 2014-2016.

I think this idea is overblown.  Other teams get ravaged by injuries at specific positions all the time. 

If the 2016 DL and LBs weren't also below average, they would have made up the difference and been simply a mediocre defense overall once those injuries struck.

8 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

We had 26 AGL at DB in 2016 which was 5th worst at that specific position last year.

It was bad for sure, but it wasn't historically bad, and was 10th worst from 2014-2016.

I think this idea is overblown.  Other teams get ravaged by injuries at specific positions all the time. 

If the 2016 DL and LBs weren't also below average, they would have made up the difference and been simply a mediocre defense overall once those injuries struck.

And they usually have a corresponding change in play quality. 

9 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

We lost 18 games of Shields

We lost 6 games of Randall

We lost 1 game of Burnett

We lost 6 games of Rollins

I'm already at 31 games lost and I haven't even looked at questionable/probable or Hyde, HHCD, or Brice. 

AGL isn't a good way of doing this

On 11/23/2017 at 8:47 AM, AlexGreen#20 said:

We lost 18 games of Shields

We lost 6 games of Randall

We lost 1 game of Burnett

We lost 6 games of Rollins

I'm already at 31 games lost and I haven't even looked at questionable/probable or Hyde, HHCD, or Brice. 

AGL isn't a good way of doing this

Other teams have similar situations, and everyone is measured in the same way, so while it may not account for everything, AGL is getting most of the picture in the long term. 

I don't think GB is a particular outlier over the past 3-5 years, outside of perhaps that one position group.  The patriots made it work for a while with Julian Edelman and Troy Brown at times at CB.

The larger issue was the quality of play from both starters and role players in the secondary.  Injuries forced some of those players onto the field, but those players performed much worse than the average replacement DB.

On 11/22/2017 at 9:59 PM, skibrett15 said:

And all those other teams are probably bad as a result of those injuries too.

3 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

Other teams have similar situations, and everyone is measured in the same way, so while it may not account for everything, AGL is getting most of the picture in the long term. 

I don't think GB is a particular outlier over the past 3-5 years, outside of perhaps that one position group.  The patriots made it work for a while with Julian Edelman and Troy Brown at times at CB.

The larger issue was the quality of play from both starters and role players in the secondary.  Injuries forced some of those players onto the field, but those players performed much worse than the average replacement DB.

Normally I'm a big fan of trusting the numbers, but in the case of last year, I believe it works poorly. 

Just now, jontat83 said:

Another great game by Martinez, playing at a Pro Bowl type level this season. His game could be even better if we had a pass rush to help.

He didn't have Kenny Clark making it easier for him last night, either.  At the end of this season, there will be two positives: Our draft position, and the development of Martinez and Randall. 

Randall, Martinez, Clark, Daniels, Perry, Clinton-Dix, King, Lowry, Adams, Jones.

Possibly Burnett. 

Our next coordinator is going to have a lot to be happy about.  More if Matthews does the right thing and takes a pay cut and/or moves to the inside or we switch to a 4-3 and he remains a linebacker. 

6 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

He didn't have Kenny Clark making it easier for him last night, either.  At the end of this season, there will be two positives: Our draft position, and the development of Martinez and Randall. 

Randall, Martinez, Clark, Daniels, Perry, Clinton-Dix, King, Lowry, Adams, Jones.

Possibly Burnett. 

Our next coordinator is going to have a lot to be happy about.  More if Matthews does the right thing and takes a pay cut and/or moves to the inside or we switch to a 4-3 and he remains a linebacker. 

I was about to say something of this sort. I really think we're a pass rusher and a Capers firing away from being a legit defense.

After allowing the Steelers 31 points last night, the Packers are now tied with 4 other teams for 18th overall in defensive PPG (meaning there are only 10 teams that give up more points defensively per game).

That rank should improve for Dom's unit after facing the 23rd and 32nd ranked scoring offenses the next two weeks.

2 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Possibly Burnett. 

Is this wishful thinking? I wouldn't be surprised at all if Capers is back next year.  This isn't even close to his worst year as a coordinator, and the injury bug will probably still be an excuse.

+ Damarious Randall is playing terrific football.

+ Kevin King will be a very good player. Especially if we can get that shoulder fixed. Hope he can take a leap year 2.

+ HaHa is still a good player. This might be a down year, but let's not forget what life was like with MD Jennings. 

+ Jake and Blake might be unspectacular, but they are really solid and good enough at ILB.

+ Josh Jones needs to take a big step next year. He has the physical tools to be a game changer, needs to be much better in coverage.

Archived