Defense Discussion [2017]

CentralFC

1 hour ago, ugLymayNe said:

If they don't add another CB, sure, but I think King and Randall outplayed him this year.

I think losing King is the bigger loss than not having House out there. 

Anybody hear any word on House's injury from yesterday?

I would imagine it's a pinched nerve for House, went down holding his back, then grabbed various points on his right leg on the cart. I would assume he had nerve pains shooting down his leg. Either that or we're dealing with two separate injuries. Wouldn't be too hard to imagine Gordon running full speed and hitting him with a knee in the back causing something to be out of alignment there.

49 minutes ago, cooters22 said:

Why would we do that we are finally in the top 20 after facing two porous offenses?

Actually, the Packers D is currently tied for 20th with KC at 22.2 points against per game.

However, if NE puts up its usual total tonight, Dom's crew should move into a tie for 19th.

On 12/10/2017 at 11:26 AM, MNPackfan32 said:

Reports are that the Bears are firing Fox, let's all pray that we scoop up Vic Fangio

If we make the playoffs, good chance we will miss out on him. Another reason why it's hard to maintain success. Good teams lose good coaches and are still playing when other teams are hiring cast offs.

1 minute ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I don't know what that is but it sounds way more terrible than a two week injury lol

Carr came back after missing one week, that's what he had this year. Romo missed a week, Mike Conley Jr missed 19 days in the NBA. Newton had that injury when he rolled his truck.

I'd say probably 2-3 weeks for House.

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Carr came back after missing one week, that's what he had this year. Romo missed a week, Mike Conley Jr missed 19 days in the NBA. Newton had that injury when he rolled his truck.

I'd say probably 2-3 weeks for House.

Well that's decent news at least. It just sounds terrible to me lol

Vic Fangio has been fired as a DC 7 times, if Chicago dumps him, that makes an even 8.

All those teams fired him thinking they could do better with somebody else calling the shots. That's a lot of firings. And that's kinda the story in the NFL. When you have good/great players - you are great. When you don't - you're not great. When Fangio was in SF with a loaded defense, he was great. But then Willis got hurt, Aldon Smith was a dope, Bowman got hurt, Justin Smith got old. And then Vic Fangio was back to being not great and lost his job.

I think I like Fangio as an option, but let's have a little perspective here. We need to find the right guy and Vic Fangio may or may not be that guy. But the first order of business is better defensive players, that's a much bigger issue and predictor of success than who is calling the defense imo.

Vic Fangio worked for Capers in Carolina, he was the DC. And they held teams to 13 points/ game in 1996. Pretty impressive

Until they came to Lambeau and got lit up for 30 points in the NFCCG . By 1998, Fangio's defense was ranked 27th and he was fired. Panthers then brought in defensive guru George Seifert of 49ers fame. Fans rejoiced !

Seifert then went 8-8, 7-9, 1-15 and got fired... Despite Seiferts' pedigree as a top defensive dude, his defenses finished 26th, 12th, 28th in points given up during his quickly-terminated 3 year tenure. They fired Fangio for running a 27th ranked defense and got the 28th ranked defense with a shiny new guy poached from a perennial contender.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

I'm totally fine with making changes, but let's not live in the imaginary pretend world that making a coaching change cures the defense

It doesn't; and that's a fact jack.  :)

Archived