Defense Discussion [2017]

CentralFC

7 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Gun to my head, I'd go with Whitt or Perry. I like the idea of going with a younger DC with some actual life in him. If not, I'd be fine with a Fangio given the similarities in scheme. 

I'd lean Perry only because like I said I just haven't heard much about Whitt but Perry seems to get a lot of good publicity and I like the idea of a younger guy. 

9 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Vic Fangio (Bears) might soon be available.  Another possibility?  How about Chuck Pagano?  He was part of the dominant Ravens defense before he got the gig in Indy.

For some reason he looks like a moron as a HC, that isn't saying he wouldn't make a great coordinator her though. 

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Gun to my head, I'd go with Whitt or Perry. I like the idea of going with a younger DC with some actual life in him. If not, I'd be fine with a Fangio given the similarities in scheme. 

Is the Pittsburgh style 3-4 an antique ? That's the million dollar question for me. LeBeau was the only one that could run it with sustained success and that was with big money invested on that side of the ball and sustained veterans. What was once considered the way to go because personnel was easy to find, it certainly doesn't seem to be the case anymore. That would be my reservation with Whitt or Perry. 

There will be a transition and nothing is guaranteed, but the reward has far outweighed the risk of making a change for some time now

Honestly this defense needs better pass rushers first and foremost and they need to pick guys that play with aggression. The defense’s body language and the way they play is passive... which I don’t inherently have a problem with, if the defense was technically sound. What do I care how they stop an offense as long as they stop it? They can lay the hammer on people or they can merely wrap up and just pull them down, a stop is a stop.

I just feel that if being technically sound consistently is beyond our players (for whatever reason) I at least want them aggressive and intimidating. Have some edge.

I think a DC can help this but it’s more of a new culture... they need to draft players that are like that. You can’t teach a person to be aggressive... they just already have it. I want more Daniels and Josh Jones... less Fackrells, Clinton Dixs ( this year).

18 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I was simply referring to the point about Capers. I would have fired him after the 2011 season as well. 

Exactly but the entire conversation talked about being in charge of decisions.

This isn't personally projected at anyone, I'm just as guilty. But when you say yeah but I would have done this ages ago. The implication is that you are better at making the decisions than those who have. I would say anyone who wanted Dom gone before is correct and vindicated of that opinion. At the same time those who often demand firings also have other opinions that tend to be irrational at times and would have led to other poor decisions, the sum of which is maybe if not probably worse than the net gain of letting Dom go already.

What I'm saying is, none of us are geniuses for wanted Dom fired already. Especially when we already know he's a complete lame duck.

15 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Is the Pittsburgh style 3-4 an antique ? That's the million dollar question for me. LeBeau was the only one that could run it with sustained success and that was with big money invested on that side of the ball and sustained veterans. What was once considered the way to go because personnel was easy to find, it certainly doesn't seem to be the case anymore. That would be my reservation with Whitt or Perry. 

There will be a transition and nothing is guaranteed, but the reward has far outweighed the risk of making a change for some time now

Why is the personnel harder to find now? What is that even based on?

19 minutes ago, cooters22 said:

Oh yes our talent is way more 3-4 oriented but honestly how much talent do we have. Clay can play in any defense at this point and time in his career. Part of me I think Kenny Clark and Mike Daniels would be good in any defense. 

Sorry I meant coming out of college is. I think we fit a traditional 43 well enough, if not just as. Maybe better.

9 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

It was well documented back when we made the change. Everyone was running the 4-3 and looking for Reggie Whites. Grabbing the next OLB from Troy in the 4th round was attractive. Add a NT and you were supposedly all set to go. I thought this was pretty common knowledge. A lot more teams running the 3-4 now 

11 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

What I'm saying is, none of us are geniuses for wanted Dom fired already.

In 2012, the year after Dom was "virtually" fired by the omniscient Packer fans, the Packers defense was # 11 in both points and yards given up

1 hour ago, cooters22 said:

Ken Flajole coached his 17th season as a coach in the NFL and his first in Philadelphia, where he will took over as the team’s linebackers coach. He's had stints as DC with the Rams. He also coached under Jim Fox in Carolina as LB coach, when they had studs like Dan Morgan and Jon Beason. Trying to come up with a little list of good possible replacements for Dom. Thoughts? Anybody else got some?

There's so much wrong with this... that it almost makes sense.

Ken Flajole (who? is that a kind of soup?)

17th season... and I've never heard of him?

Jim Fox... ok

Studs like Dan Morgan and Jon Beason... awhat?  Beason flamed out super quick right?  That was so long ago in the NFL that his experience almost isn't relevant.

1 hour ago, cannondale said:

No hindsight involved. I would have fired Capers after the 15-1 season when our defense set records for futility but our offense masked it all. Capers track record had already been established long before he got here. Quick turnaround with a downward spiral after that. The problem here isn't hindsight, its MM and fans sticking their head in the sand hoping the problems go away. Looking back on some wasted years, now that would be a sad hindsight.

The losses of Collins (injury) and Jenkins (Ted's decision) really hurt and thus I was willing to give Dom a pass for that horrific 2011 defense.

Allowing Colin Kaepernick to run wild in the playoffs after the 2012 season, coupled with the criticism by Woodson (and others) afterwards, should have been the last straw.

Instead, since 2012 it has been a steady stream of excuse-making, undue optimism, and false bravado when it comes to the Packers defense.

Which begs the question, why would Dom get canned after this season when the D really is not really any different than what we've seen from the Packers organization during the last 7 years?

16 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

every team can use the personnel vs in the past the key spot was the NT (vince wilfork, Jamal Williams) since everyone wanted that guy.  But the DEs were viewed as "undersized DTs" for the 4-3 at the time, and the OLB/edge guys were easy pickings because they were viewed as "too small" to play 4-3 DE.

So that's the general trend, and teams are more multiple and playing a ton of Sub, so undersized DTs and DEs aren't an issue 

5 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

There's so much wrong with this... that it almost makes sense.

Ken Flajole (who? is that a kind of soup?)

17th season... and I've never heard of him?

Jim Fox... ok

Studs like Dan Morgan and Jon Beason... awhat?  Beason flamed out super quick right?  That was so long ago in the NFL that his experience almost isn't relevant.

Flajole coached for the Packers back in the 90's .. been around a long time.

17 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

The losses of Collins (injury) and Jenkins (Ted's decision) really hurt and thus I was willing to give Dom a pass for that horrific 2011 defense.

Allowing Colin Kaepernick to run wild in the playoffs after the 2012 season, coupled with the criticism by Woodson (and others) afterwards, should have been the last straw.

Instead, since 2012 it has been a steady stream of excuse-making, undue optimism, and false bravado when it comes to the Packers defense.

Which begs the question, why would Dom get canned after this season when the D really is not really any different than what we've seen from the Packers organization during the last 7 years?

Just a Packer fans hope for a brighter tomorrow and proof that there is a merciful God

Archived