2021 MOCK OFF-SEASON V1

BayBubbPackFan

Seeing all of the other mocks gave me the itch to do one myself, and pass the time.

Remainder of season:

-Earn the #1 Seed

-Win Super Bowl XV........Beating the Chiefs 42-35 (Thanks to a Jaire Alexander interception).

2021 Off-Season:

1) Personnel Moves:

Release:

Christian Kirksey: We are better off with Martin and Barnes taking over. Saves ove $6mil in cap space.

Rick Wagner: We save $4mil in cap space, and we didn't draft all those interior linemen for nothing.

Dean Lowery: We are getting better production from Keke, and save over $3mil in cap space. 

Re-Sign:

Jamaal Williams: 2yr deal.

Lane Taylor: 1yr deal.

Tavon Austin: 1yr deal.

Restricted Free Agents:

All RFA's are brought back.

**Robert Tonyan and Allen Lazard are given 2nd Rd Tags. Costing about $3.4mil each.**

Not Re-Signed:

Corey Linsley: With Elgton Jenkins and the drafting of Runyan and Stepaniak, we allow him to go elseware.

Kevin King: Injuries and play, we let Josh Jackson take over and go to the draft.

Marcedes Lewis: Retires after Super Bowl XV.

Extensions:

Davante Adams: 4yr extension, saving cap space.

Re-Structure:

Preston Smith: Approached and agrees to re-structure.

Roster Bonuses converted to Signing Bonuses:

Aaron Rodgers, David Bahktiari, Zadarius Smith, and Kenny Clark.

**Great savings on 2021 and 2022 cap**

Free agents:

Jordan Thomas, TE (RFA): 2yr deal. Comes in to help take over the Y tight end (Marcedes Lewis) duties.

2021 NFL Draft:

Comp picks: two 4 rounders and a 6 rounder (Just a guess).

RD1) TRADE: With no one with a 1st round grade left, they trade back and receive early 2nd and 4th round picks.

RD2A) Asante Samual Jr: CB, Florida State.

Watching him reminds me of Jaire Alexander, no fear, fast, has great instincts, and sticky in man coverage .

RD2B) Patrick Jones II: Edge, Pit.

Never can have enough pass rushers, he may not fall this far, but would be a steal here. 

RD3) Dazz Newsome: WR, NC.

Fast, shifty, is excellent at getting seperation. Can come in for the movement and be our slot wr.

RD4A) Brady Christensen:OT, BYU.

Ton of starting experience, can be swing tackle and groomed as future right tackle.

RD4B) Tedarrell Slayton: DT, Florida.

Gutey takes someone that will help in the run game. 6'5" 350+ lbs, allows Kenny Clark more one on ones.

RD4C) Javian Hawkins: RB, Louisvile.

A spark plug that has amazing speed. Great in space and would be good in the outside zone scheme.

RD5) Trey McBride: TE. Colorado State.

Drafting a Y tight end, to provide that competition to help replace Marcedes Lewis.

RD6A) Monty Rice: ILB, Georgia.

Athletic and good in the run game.

RD6B) Talanoa Hufanga: S, USC.

Drafted to compete for the Raven Greene role. 6'1" 215lbs.

RD7) Dez Fitzpatrick: WR, Louisville.

Physical receiver, smooth athlete, with the size to help in the run game.

I know it is very early and a lot of things may change from now, but I feel the depth added and potential for big role players were added. Let me know your thoughts.

• Like 3

First off, welcome to the forums if I haven't already done so.  Hopefully you'll be a regular.

What exactly has you intrigued with Jordan Thomas?  He really hasn't gotten a ton of burn with New England, and the Packers have invested back-to-back 3rd round picks into TEs, and they have an emerging in Robert Tonyan.

CWood21: Just like the big body of Thomas, would be cheap to come in, and he would know that he has one role. Which allows the entire off-season to perfect it...blocking.

JBURGE: Though I love Linsley, he is 30,  and GB doesn't usually sign player to a 3rd contract outside some exceptions.  King is not worth the money. Aaron Jones may cost too much.. Also, we don't know if the salary cap will be stay the same or go down to that $175mil...also, we have Jaire Alexander to re-sign and other player contracts are going to have higher cap hits. May not have money to spend,  which is part of the reason I traded back, get some extra picks to fill out the roster.

56 minutes ago, BayBubbPackFan said:

CWood21: Just like the big body of Thomas, would be cheap to come in, and he would know that he has one role. Which allows the entire off-season to perfect it...blocking.

JBURGE: Though I love Linsley, he is 30,  and GB doesn't usually sign player to a 3rd contract outside some exceptions.  King is not worth the money. Aaron Jones may cost too much.. Also, we don't know if the salary cap will be stay the same or go down to that $175mil...also, we have Jaire Alexander to re-sign and other player contracts are going to have higher cap hits. May not have money to spend,  which is part of the reason I traded back, get some extra picks to fill out the roster.

Logical approach.  I think we will need to shave down from $197 million to about $170 million, leaving $5 million to sign draft choices.  Your approach of extending Adams now makes sense as you could drive his cap number down in 2021 and then have it go up real high in 2022 when the cap goes back to $225 million.  The other player you may be able to restructure is Za'Darius Smith.  I agree that a restructure of Preston Smith's contract would be preferable to cutting him (unless you draft a replacement as you need 3 good outside rushing linebackers in this scheme in case someone always gets hurt).  I think we keep Dean Lowry one more year as his play has picked up again in the last several weeks.  If that continues into the playoffs I could see us keeping him.  

Feel like this is a rebuilding off-season and not a "go for it" one. You create all this cap, and then use none of it?

SB contenders don't carry over loads of cap, especially ones with a 38 year old QB. Rodgers may only have 1 year left next year if you subscribe to the idea that we'll part with him when his cap hit grows to almost 40m. 

Need to add FAs, push your chips in. Going into cap hell for a year and struggling with Love is fine. Got us Raji and Matthews in Rodgers first year and set us up for SB runs.

Until we know where the salary cap is going to be, it is best to think that it may be at $175mil. The front office is most likely planning that way. Of course if it stays at $200mil, I have created enough space to go and get a viable #2 receiver or corner or re-sign Aaron Jones. When we do know where the cap will be, I will adjust my mock off-season accordingly.

20 hours ago, BayBubbPackFan said:

Until we know where the salary cap is going to be, it is best to think that it may be at $175mil. The front office is most likely planning that way. Of course if it stays at $200mil, I have created enough space to go and get a viable #2 receiver or corner or re-sign Aaron Jones. When we do know where the cap will be, I will adjust my mock off-season accordingly.

It's really not. Neither the owners nor the players want a $175 million dollar cap. The 0 cap growth is all but inevitable. 

After the season, the owners and the players union will sit down and hammer out how many years in the future they'll be pulling future cap from. 

21 hours ago, BayBubbPackFan said:

I think you'd be hardly making an outlandish statement to expect the salary cap to stay at the same level it was this year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I think you'd be hardly making an outlandish statement to expect the salary cap to stay at the same level it was this year.

I agree. I'm not sure how much the TV deals have generated in the past but I remember reading that they were about to sign new deal for 100 billion over 10 years. That would be 10b per from TV. Merch might stay flat though idk