The Dirty Dozen Dynasty league (Discussion thread)

sammymvpknight

On 5/13/2021 at 10:29 AM, Sllim Pickens said:

I still don't like it in a 12 team league.  If you have a super flex it overvalues them just because even the bad ones are typically more consistent points in the flex than a WR4 or RB3.  Its a huge advantage to have two QBs starting and when there are not enough QBs for everyone to have a third, it tips the value.  Last year there were 20 QBs in the top 40 players. Even if you scale down their stats a little, there would be 30 in the top 100.    

I ran some stats with the followingadjustments:

- Stat changes at QB: 

• changing passing TDs from 4 to 3.5
  • changing points/passing yard from 0.04 to 0.03 (unable to change to 0.035)
  • I kept the rushing stats the same because you can't change the stats just for the QB position.

Here were the outcomes of QBs as the total number of players within each group (last year/this year projection based on current settings/this year projections based on stat changes above):

Top 10: 8/8/3

Top 25: 13/12/5

Top 50: 20/21/12

Top 75: 22/24/18

Top 100: 25/27/26

So ultimately, most of the projected starters are projected to be top 100 players...but not 30. Not even 30 were top 100 players last year. I personally am not as concerned about the top 100, I'm just more concerned about the top 50. And as you can see, less than a quarter of the players will be QBs with the setting changes...that's opposed to almost half with the current settings. Considering that you can start a position other than QB at the Superflex position, I think that's reasonable.

Regarding the timetable, there is no way that it's happening this year. I don't like the idea of it happening next year either. Sure...some may have two starter quality QBs, but that is usually more based on chance than actual strategy. If the point is to increase the strategy within the league, then it really should be pushed back a few years and give teams an actual chance to strategize for this pretty significant change. As it stands, there aren't enough votes to adopt it this year. If people change their votes, we'll reconsider.

Edited by sammymvpknight

1 hour ago, sammymvpknight said:

I ran some stats with the followingadjustments:

- Stat changes at QB: 

• changing passing TDs from 4 to 3.5
  • changing points/passing yard from 0.04 to 0.03 (unable to change to 0.035)
  • I kept the rushing stats the same because you can't change the stats just for the QB position.

Here were the outcomes of QBs as the total number of players within each group (last year/this year projection based on current settings/this year projections based on stat changes above):

Top 10: 8/8/3

Top 25: 13/12/5

Top 50: 20/21/12

Top 75: 22/24/18

Top 100: 25/27/26

So ultimately, most of the projected starters are projected to be top 100 players...but not 30. Not even 30 were top 100 players last year. I personally am not as concerned about the top 100, I'm just more concerned about the top 50. And as you can see, less than a quarter of the players will be QBs with the setting changes...that's opposed to almost half with the current settings. Considering that you can start a position other than QB at the Superflex position, I think that's reasonable.

Regarding the timetable, there is no way that it's happening this year. I don't like the idea of it happening next year either. Sure...some may have two starter quality QBs, but that is usually more based on chance than actual strategy. If the point is to increase the strategy within the league, then it really should be pushed back a few years and give teams an actual chance to strategize for this pretty significant change. As it stands, there aren't enough votes to adopt it this year. If people change their votes, we'll reconsider.

I would be open to it if it were more along those lines.  That way you actually have a decent chance of competing if you don't have a second QB playing in a bye week.  It may eve be a bit too skewed the other way with those numbers.  What does it do if you just change the yards from .4 to .3 and leave TDs alone? 

Quite honestly I don't really care at this point.  I am in leagues that do it both ways.  If people want to move that way I am ok doing it and would vote for next year.  Any further out and its tough to maintain the same group of guys and someone could sell off QBs and quit. 

On 6/7/2021 at 6:04 PM, Sllim Pickens said:

I would be open to it if it were more along those lines.  That way you actually have a decent chance of competing if you don't have a second QB playing in a bye week.  It may eve be a bit too skewed the other way with those numbers.  What does it do if you just change the yards from .4 to .3 and leave TDs alone? 

Quite honestly I don't really care at this point.  I am in leagues that do it both ways.  If people want to move that way I am ok doing it and would vote for next year.  Any further out and its tough to maintain the same group of guys and someone could sell off QBs and quit. 

I think that WE-R-Lions and my biggest objective last year was just to keep things going through a difficult year, bring in great replacement owners, and do a better job of being transparent. But moving forward, I think that keeping things fresh will be important for manager retention. The current league is great, but what can we do to keep people engaged while not making it too gimmicky. I think that a SuperFlex may be a way to do that. But I don’t like the look of the SuperFlex leagues on this forum...they would just be too heavily weighted toward QB with 12 teams. I’ll try to get around to running the stats on just adjusting passing TDs.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I think that WE-R-Lions and my biggest objective last year was just to keep things going through a difficult year, bring in great replacement owners, and do a better job of being transparent. But moving forward, I think that keeping things fresh will be important for manager retention. The current league is great, but what can we do to keep people engaged while not making it too gimmicky. I think that a SuperFlex may be a way to do that. But I don’t like the look of the SuperFlex leagues on this forum...they would just be too heavily weighted toward QB with 12 teams. I’ll try to get around to running the stats on just adjusting passing TDs.

Yes, @sammymvpknight& I put in a lot of work recreating the league for everyone to enjoy. That said, I'm not as enthusiastic about adding another staring roster spot to change our league to a SuperFlex w/o making other changes. Adding another starting position would give us 12 starters out of 12 keepers (not sure if were changing to 13 or not)? Basically limiting GM's to filling bye wk's & Inj'ed players with draft pk's, and limiting a GM from holding on to a rookie that has promise. I also feel it would limit a GM form having to decide who to start based on matchups wk to wk, making the GM's less involved in manage their teams. (basically set it & forget it)

It's a bigger impact/change to the league than to just dummy down the QB scoring we would need to consider if we added another starting position to change to Superflex.    

4 hours ago, WE-R-Lions said:

Yes, @sammymvpknight& I put in a lot of work recreating the league for everyone to enjoy. That said, I'm not as enthusiastic about adding another staring roster spot to change our league to a SuperFlex w/o making other changes. Adding another starting position would give us 12 starters out of 12 keepers (not sure if were changing to 13 or not)? Basically limiting GM's to filling bye wk's & Inj'ed players with draft pk's, and limiting a GM from holding on to a rookie that has promise. I also feel it would limit a GM form having to decide who to start based on matchups wk to wk, making the GM's less involved in manage their teams. (basically set it & forget it)

It's a bigger impact/change to the league than to just dummy down the QB scoring we would need to consider if we added another starting position to change to Superflex.    

Just as an update:

The only setting changes that passed were:

#1 changing rolling waivers to FAAB

#2 changing IR spots from 3 back to 2.

#3 increasing return yardage

#2 is easy enough. Commishes will discuss specifics about #1 and #3.

The setting changes that were proposed but NOT passed were:

#4 SuperFlex league

#5 increasing number of keepers from 12 to 13

Next year if people are interested they can be voted upon again. Our goal is transparency and we’re definitely interested in suggestions. For future reference, there will be a one year buildup for a change such as SuperFlex. So if it gets the votes next year (2022), the change won’t take place until 2023. So if you’re going into this years draft wondering, there you have it. If it gets put up for vote again next year, we will better clarify the associated changes. 

The season is quickly approaching so stay tuned on updates.

@WE-R-Lions

Regarding those specific changes, I would probably just change a flex position to a SuperFlex position so it doesn’t change the total starting positions. I’d also doctor the stats at the QB position (reducing the points/passing TD makes the most sense in my opinion). I appreciate the dialogue...and if it gets put up for vote next year we’ll have time to discuss then...but I think that pretty good framework has been established (unlike this year)...so people will know what specifically they are voting upon.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, deathstar said:

I appreciate what you all are doing! Next off season I would suggest a vote on superflex in conjunction with increasing the number of keepers to 15. I would also suggest a vote on eliminating k/def.

I’ve update the 1st page to keep a running list of things to address for 2022. I highly doubt that the jump to 15 keepers would pass considering the increase to 13 didn’t pass this year 

19 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I’ve update the 1st page to keep a running list of things to address for 2022. I highly doubt that the jump to 15 keepers would pass considering the increase to 13 didn’t pass this year 

I understand; I think it would compliment an additional SF starting spot as We R Lions pointed out and may as well vote on it! :)

Edited by deathstar