The Florida Gators thread

Scalamania

On 10/8/2018 at 5:00 PM, Nozizaki said:

So, I thought Trask was a year younger than Franks and that's why he wasn't starting, but they're actually the same year.

Are they both bad?

Trask should've never gotten a scholarship to play at UF, he was a backup 2 star QB - the previous staff panicked because they missed their other targets and settled for him. 

• 2 weeks later...

With the SEC East out of the picture, Mullen needs to make a decision on the QB. If Emory is his guy for the future, I see no reason why not to play him for the rest of the season. No need to keep Franks in there if he's not the guy long term and bring Emory in cold next season. 

Defensively, if Henderson can't go next week, then Grantham needs to adjust. You can't play the ultra-aggressive attack based defense with CJ McWilliams and Donovan Stiner in the secondary. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, eggybucsfan31 said:

With the SEC East out of the picture, Mullen needs to make a decision on the QB. If Emory is his guy for the future, I see no reason why not to play him for the rest of the season. No need to keep Franks in there if he's not the guy long term and bring Emory in cold next season. 

Defensively, if Henderson can't go next week, then Grantham needs to adjust. You can't play the ultra-aggressive attack based defense with CJ McWilliams and Donovan Stiner in the secondary. 

Emory needs to start moving forward. People will say, "What happens if he makes freshman mistakes?" Well, that won't be any different from Franks. Difference is that Jones can run this offense the way it's supposed to be run. Franks is missing too many gimmes and turns the ball over with stupid plays far too often. It's time to bench him and move on. Pull the trigger. Jones looked much better today.

And Grantham definitely needs to adjust. By adjust, I mean don't play McWilliams. Play Edwards. If he can't get it done, put CGJ outside at CB and put Stewart or Davis in the slot.

Edited by jrry32

I saw that coming with Franks. I didn't see such a poor defensive performance coming. Time for our guys to rebound. It's just one game. However, I can't help but think about if there might have been another path this year. Watching how electric KaDarius Toney is, I truly wonder if the right decision might have been to pull an Art Briles and play him at QB this year to buy time for Emory Jones to develop. It's probably a crazy thought, but Franks has been such a liability that I'm just not sure that Toney would have offered less. Obviously, his ability to stay healthy would be the big question in such an arrangement.

If Florida can win out (very possible), it is still a really good season to build off for Mullen. I've been impressed with the improvements we've seen on the O-Line (something not seen since Urban was the coach) but it is painfully obvious that the players aren't there. But 9 wins would get Florida to a decent bowl game. Plus now they don't have to lose a NY6 bowl and have that hang over the team all offseason.

• Like 1