BDL Discussion Thread 2021

Jlash

6 minutes ago, Jlash said:

I mean, Joe Burrow wasn't even willing to compete with either of them..

To be fair, Burreaux wins the OSU job if he doesn't break his thumb/throwing hand in Spring Practice. Talk about bad timing/circumstances.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jlash said:

I think it worked out incredibly well. 

Yes/No

Clearly, winning a National Title, Heisman, and being the #1 overall first pick is hard to argue against. Had he done it in his home state, imagine how awesome that would have been for him. He's passionate about Ohio, then does it in HS, College, and the NFL (plays in those places).

I think, and I don't have a good explanation for this, but some College Programs consistently fail to develop Pro quality talent at certain positions despite that talent appearing incredibly talented at the NCAA level. My only explanation would be that despite coaching changes, some schools insist on keeping similar schemes and develop players specifically for the NCAA level and not for what they could achieve beyond it.

9 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I think, and I don't have a good explanation for this, but some College Programs consistently fail to develop Pro quality talent at certain positions despite that talent appearing incredibly talented at the NCAA level. My only explanation would be that despite coaching changes, some schools insist on keeping similar schemes and develop players specifically for the NCAA level and not for what they could achieve beyond it.

I mean, yeah, colleges are going to recruit players for their scheme and they're going to teach those players to succeed in that scheme whether it translates to the NFL or not. That's part of the problem with the NFL using NCAA as a substitute for a real developmental league: the college coaches have no incentive to prepare players for the differences at the NFL level instead of just running what works with the college game.

I think the talent difference at programs like Alabama, Ohio State, etc. masks flaws with prospects at those schools as well. It's easier to look good when you don't have to make up for your teammates' shortcomings or the team doesn't ask you to consistently excel (or even play a full four quarters every week).

Edited by Blue

14 minutes ago, Blue said:

I think the talent difference at programs like Alabama, Ohio State, etc. masks flaws with prospects at those schools as well. It's easier to look good when you don't have to make up for your teammates' shortcomings or the team doesn't ask you to consistently excel (or even play a full four quarters every week).

You also generally have a lot of "NFL Coaches" on those teams (look at Saban and his staff, or guys like Coombs and Larry Johnson at OSU for example). There's a reason I'd take an OSU DB or DL most years, or an Alabama WR.

It's also the same reason I'd be hesitant to grab an Alabama RB, because their OL and scheme is so beneficial to them. For every Harris, you get a TRich or Eddie Lacy.

43 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

You also generally have a lot of "NFL Coaches" on those teams (look at Saban and his staff, or guys like Coombs and Larry Johnson at OSU for example). There's a reason I'd take an OSU DB or DL most years, or an Alabama WR.

It's also the same reason I'd be hesitant to grab an Alabama RB, because their OL and scheme is so beneficial to them. For every Harris, you get a TRich or Eddie Lacy.

But some of those guys were in the NFL as coaches and failed miserably. It's a different game.

Also, how many of those OSU DBs have actually panned out? Be honest here. There's Lattimore, maybe Vonn Bell, and Denzel Ward has been fine when healthy (big caveat). Lotta guys have come out of that program and failed.