Post Your Top 5 for Defensive Player of the Year Award

BayRaider

1 hour ago, BigTrav said:

Where the hell did this guy come from?? Never heard of it him before this season, now he's a stud

Another guy from our insane 2017 draft.  He's always been a solid pick up, but this year he's far surpassed all expectations.

Lattimore, Kamara, Ramcyzk, Hendrickson, Anzalone, Williams all form the same draft.  

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

I’m not sure how Donald was more impressive than Howard or Watt this year? Donald had a super easy schedule, and 4 of his 13 sacks came against one NFC East team. It’s also probably not even in Donald’s Top 3 seasons. 

No pass rusher was super great this year to be honest.

He’s being doubled and tripled and winning lol????? 13.5 from a DT Is insane 

15 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I would put Marlon Humphrey squarely in the top 5 tbh. 

Tackles   Fumbles Def Interceptions
Rk Player Year G Solo Ast QBHits TFL Sk FF FR Yds TD Int Yds TD
1 Xavien Howard 2020 15 36 11 0 1 0.0 1 0 0 0 9 71 0
2 Marlon Humphrey 2020 14 69 12 4 4 2.5 8 0 0 0 1 8 0

Xavien has more INT's, Marlon has more...everything else, and they're both equally good in coverage.

9 more INTs is a pretty substantial difference lol...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, renndawg37 said:

9 more INTs is a pretty substantial difference lol...

So is 8 FF's to 0? What's your point, they've both created 8 turnovers. I also believe that 3 of Humphrey's FF's have been returned for a touchdown this year. Also, 8 more INT's.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

So is 8 FF's to 0? What's your point, they've both created 8 turnovers. I also believe that 3 of Humphrey's FF's have been returned for a touchdown this year.

How many of those fumbles were recovered by the defense though? 

33 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

No, I don't think PFR started tracking it until 2018, which is why I was wondering.

Torched playing the slot? lol I think he allowed one touchdown this year...sure, he allowed some receptions but I'd also like to know how many yards he gave up compared to the other guys as well, but absolutely does not get "torched" playing the slot.

EDIT: Just found it. According to PFR:

Humphrey Yards-Per-Reception: 10

Howard YPR: 13

Alexander YPR: 9.5

Humphrey allowed 60 more yards than Howard did, despite allowing 20 more completions. So yeah, there's no realistic argument for him getting "torched".

Sure there is. If he’s shutdown outside, but still gave up 60+ completions on 100+ targets, then logically that means he’s getting picked on inside. 

Revis was really not known for takeaways. He had 2 seasons with 5+, but more often than not it was <5 INT's/season, which is pretty standard for CB's who are shutdown. I'd actually say Richard Sherman in his 2-year stretch of 2012-13 was a better example of shutdown + turnovers.

You framed it like guys are either one or the other - the truly great CB seasons are not recognized without the interceptions, just doesn’t happen. Peanut’s 10 FF season isn’t placed all time. Revis was a shutdown CB that still took the ball away in his best seasons. So did Woodson. Humphrey didn’t. 

Not sure. I don't view it was interceptions vs. FF's, I view it as turnovers, since the result is the same. If people want to say "well he only had 1 INT", that's their problem for ignoring the EIGHT forced fumbles.

You can say that, but their opinions matter, because it’s something people vote on. Interceptions matter for DBs in the DPOY discussion.

Speaking of CB's with only 1 INT, I see a lot of people putting Jaire Alexander on their lists...hmmmmm....

Barely watched the Packers this year, but at least he has something to hang his hat on: 39 completions allowed (as of last week), 51% completed balls, 68.4 passer rating allowed, 370 yards let up. They didn’t throw it at the guy. 

He wouldn’t be in my top 5 for DPOY either, FWIW. Both behind that guy you called a scrub, though (hint: an UDFA with more picks this season than your man’s Humph has for his career 😉)

Edited by Yin-Yang

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

And way more important than FF’s which is not a 100% guaranteed turnover. 

Humphrey also hasn't been at the amazing/top tier level in coverage this year, so this comparison goes nowhere. He's "just" been very good this year overall.

1 minute ago, wackywabbit said:

Humphrey also hasn't been at the amazing/top tier level in coverage this year, so this comparison goes nowhere. He's "just" been very good this year overall.

Yes, the person who posted tends to overrate players seasons a little bit... I still think Marlon is a Top 5 Corner in the NFL and a stud player. 

4 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Yes, the person who posted tends to overrate players seasons a little bit... I still think Marlon is a Top 5 Corner in the NFL and a stud player. 

Not really. I never said he was a shutdown CB this year. I think his season is underrated because people think that creating turnovers via fumble is less than creating turnovers via interception, and my point has only been proven the more people post and say that FF's don't matter and INT's do.

8 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Sure there is. If he’s shutdown outside, but still gave up 60+ completions on 100+ targets, then logically that means he’s getting picked on inside. 

He hasn't played outside very much this year because we lost our slot CB's to injury.

You framed it like guys are either one or the other - the truly great CB seasons are not recognized without the interceptions, just doesn’t happen. Peanut’s 10 FF season isn’t placed all time. Revis was a shutdown CB that still took the ball away in his best seasons. So did Woodson. Humphrey didn’t. 

Nnamdi Asomugha was being recognized every single year and he was never targeted. Richard Sherman, same thing. This is just blatantly untrue. Greatness is recognized all the time. Humphrey was 1st team All-Pro last year with 3 INT's and 2 FF's. Saying he hasn't taken the ball away this year (when his coverage stats aren't as good) is just admitting you haven't watched him play.

You can say that, but their opinions matter, because it’s something people vote on. Interceptions matter for DBs in the DPOY discussion.

Barely watched the Packers this year, but at least he has something to hang his hat on: 39 completions allowed (as of last week), 51% completed balls, 68.4 passer rating allowed, 370 yards let up. They didn’t throw it at the guy. 

He wouldn’t be in my top 5 for DPOY either, FWIW. Both behind that guy you called a scrub, though (hint: an UDFA with more picks this season than your man’s Humph has for his career 😉)

It's weird how coverage stats matter until they're for a guy like. Then suddenly a 13.7 Yards/reception is good. 5 TD's against is good. 58% completion is suddenly somehow vastly lower than 61%? Like, come on....if all you care about is INT's than just admit that and then tell me that DeAngelo Hall is the best CB of all-time.

8 minutes ago, renndawg37 said:

Also, 10 is more than 8. 

Having a hard time counting today? Marlon Humphrey had 9 turnovers. 8 + 1 = 9.

15 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I would put Marlon Humphrey squarely in the top 5 tbh. 

Tackles   Fumbles Def Interceptions
Rk Player Year G Solo Ast QBHits TFL Sk FF FR Yds TD Int Yds TD
1 Xavien Howard 2020 15 36 11 0 1 0.0 1 0 0 0 9 71 0
2 Marlon Humphrey 2020 14 69 12 4 4 2.5 8 0 0 0 1 8 0

Xavien has more INT's, Marlon has more...everything else, and they're both equally good in coverage.

3 minutes ago, renndawg37 said:

Yeah, literally nobody said Humphrey isn't a stud and one of the best in the business. He simply ain't the 2020 DPOY though. 

Nobody is saying he is.