2021 DT/NT Thread

MSURacerDT55

3 hours ago, BowlesDawgDX said:

He IS coming back

Good for him, the dude is talented but honestly he has not accomplished much on Georgia.  Has tons of potential though and could be a 1st round pick with a dominating year next season.  He has just been ok and has yet to reach his potential, would not have been a 1st round pick in 2021 anyway.  Jordan Davis preseason is the #1 DT in 2022 arguably outside of DeMarvin Leal who is potentially a 3/4 DE or 4/3 DE instead of a DT but could play that as well.

Christian Barmore could absolutely shoot up draft boards because he has high end ability some others probably do not have, and he can get to the passer.  Twyman probably made a mistake sitting out, would not be surprised if Barmore maybe is picked over Twyman.

These guys to me are the top NTs potentially.  Scott I was kind of disappointed in him this year, thought he could have been a lot better but was an odd season especially for Oregon who had basically the entire secondary opt out before the season to prep for the draft.  Tonga is a good one and Shelvin has some upside but has not played in awhile.  Could argue Marvin Wilson might be one who could play NT in the NFL in the right system.

NTs

Khyiris Tonga BYU
Jordon Scott Oregon
Lorenzo Neal Purdue RS
Tyler Shelvin LSU RS JR
Naquan Jones Michigan State RS

Jerome Johnson is one to watch, he had some impressive pass rush ability from the defensive tackle spot on Indiana.  

Overall the group sucks though in terms of top high end talent, no way anyone is close to Derrick Brown of last year or Kinlaw for that matter, I bet Madubuike could have been a lot higher pick in 2021 with this group than he was in 2020.  And 2019 it blows them right out of the water with super star type DTs across the board, not sure it is like that in 2021 at all.

Derrick Brown
Javon Kinlaw
Raekwon Davis
Justin Madubuike

Quinnen Williams
Ed Oliver
Christian Wilkins
Dexter Lawrence
Jeffery Simmons
Jerry Tillery

41 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Good for him, the dude is talented but honestly he has not accomplished much on Georgia.  Has tons of potential though and could be a 1st round pick with a dominating year next season.  He has just been ok and has yet to reach his potential, would not have been a 1st round pick in 2021 anyway.  Jordan Davis preseason is the #1 DT in 2022 arguably outside of DeMarvin Leal who is potentially a 3/4 DE or 4/3 DE instead of a DT but could play that as well.

Christian Barmore could absolutely shoot up draft boards because he has high end ability some others probably do not have, and he can get to the passer.  Twyman probably made a mistake sitting out, would not be surprised if Barmore maybe is picked over Twyman.

These guys to me are the top NTs potentially.  Scott I was kind of disappointed in him this year, thought he could have been a lot better but was an odd season especially for Oregon who had basically the entire secondary opt out before the season to prep for the draft.  Tonga is a good one and Shelvin has some upside but has not played in awhile.  Could argue Marvin Wilson might be one who could play NT in the NFL in the right system.

NTs

Khyiris Tonga BYU
Jordon Scott Oregon
Lorenzo Neal Purdue RS
Tyler Shelvin LSU RS JR

Jerome Johnson is one to watch, he had some impressive pass rush ability from the defensive tackle spot on Indiana.  

Overall the group sucks though in terms of top high end talent, no way anyone is close to Derrick Brown of last year or Kinlaw for that matter, I bet Madubuike could have been a lot higher pick in 2021 with this group than he was in 2020.  And 2019 it blows them right out of the water with super star type DTs across the board, not sure it is like that in 2021 at all.

Derrick Brown
Javon Kinlaw
Raekwon Davis
Justin Madubuike

Quinnen Williams
Ed Oliver
Christian Wilkins
Dexter Lawrence
Jeffery Simmons
Jerry Tillery

Been touting him. His hustle is like no other.

19 hours ago, Ozzy said:

NTs

Khyiris Tonga BYU
Jordon Scott Oregon
Lorenzo Neal Purdue RS
Tyler Shelvin LSU RS JR

Derrick Brown
Javon Kinlaw
Raekwon Davis
Justin Madubuike

Quinnen Williams
Ed Oliver
Christian Wilkins
Dexter Lawrence
Jeffery Simmons
Jerry Tillery

-I think I may have said it before but I really like Barmore but he needs to put it all together, he has all the tools (except the high end explosion) but has borderline elite technique, super physical, has a really good punch in the run game, and doesn't stay on blocks. I just don't like his motor.......at all......, and I think he takes plays off. Certain plays he is unblockable and others he is just a guy. I think a good comp for him is Chris Jones, who was similar to Barmore and put it all together at the next level. Also, that matchup against him and Josh Myers and Wyatt Davis should be epic

-As far as Twyman, you are 100% correct it hurt him, plus seeing a defensive line of him, Patrick Jones II and Rashad Weaver would be must see TV. But he can definitely help himself (As well as anyone who opted out) at the combine, show up in great shape, move well and interview well and voila, you've moved up someone's board, and of course the opposite can happen.

Edited by MSURacerDT55

7 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I just don't like his (Barmore)  motor.......at all......, and I think he takes plays off.

I see his inconsistent motor as a lack of awareness. When he seems to take plays off it is really a matter of not knowing what to do. Often times he will move slowly in the wrong direction. Sometimes he gets so confused and lost out there that he will almost stand still.

11 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

-I think I may have said it before but I really like Barmore but he needs to put it all together, he has all the tools (except the high end explosion) but has borderline elite technique, super physical, has a really good punch in the run game, and doesn't stay on blocks. I just don't like his motor.......at all......, and I think he takes plays off. Certain plays he is unblockable and others he is just a guy. I think a good comp for him is Chris Jones, who was similar to Barmore and put it all together at the next level. Also, that matchup against him and Josh Myers and Wyatt Davis should be epic

-As far as Twyman, you are 100% correct it hurt him, plus seeing a defensive line of him, Patrick Jones II and Rashad Weaver would be must see TV. But he can definitely help himself (As well as anyone who opted out) at the combine, show up in great shape, move well and interview well and voila, you've moved up someone's board, and of course the opposite can happen.

True Barmore is still raw but he is a RS SOPH and this is his first season as a starter, only had one start as a RS FR last year and clearly did not play as much as he is this season.  Yeah he can improve some things and play more consistently but in terms of potential he has as much potential as any DT in the draft no question about it.  That will be a great matchup against Myers and Wyatt Davis, will be interesting how that goes.  Barmore is very good but so is Dale, Bryon Young, Eboigbe and Mathis.   Not to mention Will Anderson on the outside who has had a great true freshman season.  Barmore will most likely go up against the tackles on Ohio State possibly more than the center or guard, Dale and Tim Smith will be up against Myers much more.  

Twyman could have been amazing this year with those guys around him, Jones who had a great season and is arguably a 1st round pick himself.  Twyman could have been crazy productive along with that entire DL who was very productive even without him.  Sure if he worked out this entire time and improve his athletic ability it might not matter, but sure would be nice to see him play.  I assume he cannot play in the senior bowl, would have been nice to see him out there but is not on the roster and not sure if there was a reason for that as a RS JR I assume he could have even with sitting out the year but maybe not.  Still with the some what weak class, if Twyman would have played and produced like he did the year before he would have easily been the #1 DT, now it is kind of in question somewhat.  

Guess same could be said for Onwuzurike, he could have helped himself a lot playing and not sure why he did not.  It is not like he was some promised super high pick or something or even a projected #1 at his position like say Sewell or Parsons.  Onwuzurike was projected high maybe but still.  Guess same could be said for his teammate Joe Tryon.  Sure Washington did not play a ton of games but not sure either one go that much better 'training' this entire time.  Sure was probably great not having to do school work but did they really improve their 40 time that much sitting out this long, will see.  

Will be a great game Monday, but Ohio State overall has not played a DL this good all season or a secondary this deep in terms of quality depth.  Indiana had some good DB talent but they do not have a CB as experienced as Surtain and Moore, Branch, Wright and Jobe give them a lot of defensive versatility.  Also Ohio State will not stop the Bama run game like they did with Clemson, Clemson could not run the ball at all and really doubt Bama will have that issue.  Also Ohio State was super motivated by the comments of Dabo, not sure they can carry over that motivation against Alabama when Nick Saban has said nothing like Dabo did.  Could be a great game though, that DL for Ohio State played really good against Clemson but most of that was late because Clemson was not running the ball at all and they could just T off, not sure that DL is that good but will see.  Werner and Browning will love it I am sure, and Hilliard over the past few weeks might have played himself into being a NFL player, he has stood out in that Big Ten title game and against Clemson for sure.

22 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

True Barmore is still raw but he is a RS SOPH and this is his first season as a starter, only had one start as a RS FR last year and clearly did not play as much as he is this season.  Yeah he can improve some things and play more consistently but in terms of potential he has as much potential as any DT in the draft no question about it.  That will be a great matchup against Myers and Wyatt Davis, will be interesting how that goes.  Barmore is very good but so is Dale, Bryon Young, Eboigbe and Mathis.   Not to mention Will Anderson on the outside who has had a great true freshman season.  Barmore will most likely go up against the tackles on Ohio State possibly more than the center or guard, Dale and Tim Smith will be up against Myers much more.  

Twyman could have been amazing this year with those guys around him, Jones who had a great season and is arguably a 1st round pick himself.  Twyman could have been crazy productive along with that entire DL who was very productive even without him.  Sure if he worked out this entire time and improve his athletic ability it might not matter, but sure would be nice to see him play.  I assume he cannot play in the senior bowl, would have been nice to see him out there but is not on the roster and not sure if there was a reason for that as a RS JR I assume he could have even with sitting out the year but maybe not.  Still with the some what weak class, if Twyman would have played and produced like he did the year before he would have easily been the #1 DT, now it is kind of in question somewhat.  

Guess same could be said for Onwuzurike, he could have helped himself a lot playing and not sure why he did not.  It is not like he was some promised super high pick or something or even a projected #1 at his position like say Sewell or Parsons.  Onwuzurike was projected high maybe but still.  Guess same could be said for his teammate Joe Tryon.  Sure Washington did not play a ton of games but not sure either one go that much better 'training' this entire time.  Sure was probably great not having to do school work but did they really improve their 40 time that much sitting out this long, will see.  

Will be a great game Monday, but Ohio State overall has not played a DL this good all season or a secondary this deep in terms of quality depth.  Indiana had some good DB talent but they do not have a CB as experienced as Surtain and Moore, Branch, Wright and Jobe give them a lot of defensive versatility.  Also Ohio State will not stop the Bama run game like they did with Clemson, Clemson could not run the ball at all and really doubt Bama will have that issue.  Also Ohio State was super motivated by the comments of Dabo, not sure they can carry over that motivation against Alabama when Nick Saban has said nothing like Dabo did.  Could be a great game though, that DL for Ohio State played really good against Clemson but most of that was late because Clemson was not running the ball at all and they could just T off, not sure that DL is that good but will see.  Werner and Browning will love it I am sure, and Hilliard over the past few weeks might have played himself into being a NFL player, he has stood out in that Big Ten title game and against Clemson for sure.

Ozzy I feel DT can be a slow developing position in the NFL. Do you agree? This makes me worried about opt out guys