Rivera on the OL

turtle28

40 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Even if the cap just stays the same that is the same as it going down because every team expects it to go up in their long term plans.

Yes it would have been better to sign him long term last year.  But the way I see it, is he wanted top money and it was hard to give it to him with the injuries.  So we used that 5th year option and then franchise tagged him.  In his case, you have to use the tag as a health try out.  He failed it.  So I don't think we should kick ourselves if we let him walk.  I agree that the franchise tag should be avoided, but you shouldn't throw good money after bad.  

Assuming he wants a 4-5 year deal, how much are you willing to pay him on average per year?  14? 15? 16?

With the amount of space we have and if smith retires or is cut I think if we sign him back we can honestly front load the heck out of his contract. May look crazy paying him in the 20s for the first year but in the following years his cap hit would be much lower and the Cap would go up earning us more flexibility in the future. 

for example let’s say Scherrf earns a 4 year deal worth an avg of 14 mill a season, it may look outrageous to give him 23 million in year 1 guaranteed with an avg of 11 mill over the next 3 season with most of the guaranteed money off the books.

all depends on how we approach FA but that would give us around 30-35 mill left to resign Darby and whoever else, and also enough cap to address a WR in FA

if Scherrf ends up having bad injuries in year 2 or 3 of his deal we can cut or trade him and free up space bc guaranteed money will be off the books

like I said may not be a popular decision but depending on who all we sign and how we spend money this year it would be smart to frontload if we aren’t going after a ton of players

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoganF89 said:

With the amount of space we have and if smith retires or is cut I think if we sign him back we can honestly front load the heck out of his contract. May look crazy paying him in the 20s for the first year but in the following years his cap hit would be much lower and the Cap would go up earning us more flexibility in the future. 

for example let’s say Scherrf earns a 4 year deal worth an avg of 14 mill a season, it may look outrageous to give him 23 million in year 1 guaranteed with an avg of 11 mill over the next 3 season with most of the guaranteed money off the books.

all depends on how we approach FA but that would give us around 30-35 mill left to resign Darby and whoever else, and also enough cap to address a WR in FA

if Scherrf ends up having bad injuries in year 2 or 3 of his deal we can cut or trade him and free up space bc guaranteed money will be off the books

like I said may not be a popular decision but depending on who all we sign and how we spend money this year it would be smart to frontload if we aren’t going after a ton of players

I agree with that cap strategy.  It makes so much sense, but we rarely see our team use it.

Still, I think we will be lucky to get him for 14M/year average which is still an obscene amount for a player who is often injured.  

If we sign a qb like stafford for instance, that cap space is going to disappear right quick.

19 hours ago, offbyone said:

I agree with that cap strategy.  It makes so much sense, but we rarely see our team use it.

Still, I think we will be lucky to get him for 14M/year average which is still an obscene amount for a player who is often injured.  

If we sign a qb like stafford for instance, that cap space is going to disappear right quick.

Then don’t sign a QB like Stafford.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, offbyone said:

That is an unknown.  

Let me pose the Scherff quandary another way.  We basically tried him out this year for what his contract will be- 15M/year.  Do you feel like you got your 15M $ worth?

I don't feel qualified to answer that and I'd be surprised if any of us posters could . Have to leave it to the coach/ coaches .

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

That is an unknown.  

Let me pose the Scherff quandary another way.  We basically tried him out this year for what his contract will be- 15M/year.  Do you feel like you got your 15M $ worth?

Well he was voted as one of the best Guards in football.  $15 mil is essentially what the best Guards in football make. So yes.  

• Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 10:30 AM, MKnight82 said:

Well he was voted as one of the best Guards in football.  $15 mil is essentially what the best Guards in football make. So yes.  

That is a non answer.  I don't care about popularity contests. 

You watched him play, you saw his availability, etc.  Did you see a 15M/year guard?

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

That is a non answer.  I don't care about popularity contests. 

You watched him play, you saw his availability, etc.  Did you see a 15M/year guard?

I’d like to know in what way do you think he’s not worthy of the contract and what are your plans to replace an All-Pro OL?

Minus having the knee injury that cost him a few games, Scherff was once again great this year. He’s a dominant run blocker, he’s good in pass pro too. 

Could he be better sure? Everyone could be better but if we have the cap space and he’s our best OL I think it’s a bad idea to not re-sign him and then create a major hole.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

The Pro Bowl is a popularity contest.  All Pro selections are not.  

Again, I am not asking what the everyone else saw, I am asking what you saw as a WFT fan who closely watches our games.  Did you see a 15M performance this year?

10 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Again, I am not asking what the everyone else saw, I am asking what you saw as a WFT fan who closely watches our games.  Did you see a 15M performance this year?

I do not have the expertise to compare a Guards play with the rest of the Guards in the league.  People that know a lot more than me voted him one of the best at his position this year.

13 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I do not have the expertise to compare a Guards play with the rest of the Guards in the league.  People that know a lot more than me voted him one of the best at his position this year.

By the extreme skill you show in dodging the question, you clearly must be a career politician.  :)