2021 Free Agent Thread

MikeT14

11 minutes ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Relax

But why? All of these free agent signings were mediocre until Alex Smith was inserted in the line up. The OL suddenly got better, Logan Thomas and McKissic started catching a ton of passes and the defense wasn’t on the field the whole entire game. Just look at the difference in play when Smith went out and Haskins came back in. We were a terrible football team getting outclassed week in and week out until the moment they inserted Alex Smith. 

16 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

This front office likes leftovers

Lukewarm ones at that.

16 minutes ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Relax

I'm relaxed. Saddened because they could have done a lot to improve the franchise with only a couple of moves, but relaxed.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

Lukewarm ones at that.

I'm relaxed. Saddened because they could have done a lot to improve the franchise with only a couple of moves, but relaxed.

I don’t understand why fans have fallen for this ideal that you have to spend 3-5 years rebuilding? Rookie deals are short now and your window closes very fast. You add as much talent to your roster as you can and you go for it. This idea that you can build strictly through the draft is kinda silly. Especially when you refuse to pay most of those players to stick around. 

1 minute ago, Woz said:

Lukewarm ones at that.

Yeah. Don't get my wrong... in all seriousness I'll be panicking if we if we don't come out of this with one of the top four remaining WR targets, a good TE and corner. Would like a LB. But not too much out there that impresses... Jayon Brown maybe?

Let me say something far-fetched. Could we make a play for Russell Wilson? Crush away. 

Just now, Skinsin2013 said:

Yeah. Don't get my wrong... in all seriousness I'll be panicking if we if we don't come out of this with one of the top four remaining WR targets, a good TE and corner. Would like a LB. But not too much out there that impresses... Jayon Brown maybe?

Let me say something far-fetched. Could we make a play for Russell Wilson? Crush away. 

But why would Wilson come here? You have to know the players around the league have seen what’s gone on here for the last 10 years. Could you imagine them trading for Russell Wilson, having no first round pick for the next two years and still approaching free agency this way? Do you actually think they’d change because I don’t. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I don’t understand why fans have fallen for this ideal that you have to spend 3-5 years rebuilding? Rookie deals are short now and your window closes very fast. You add as much talent to your roster as you can and you go for it. This idea that you can build strictly through the draft is kinda silly. Especially when you refuse to pay most of those players to stick around. 

Part of it is based on the idea that the contracts you offer in free agency dwarf those that are obtained via the draft. However, part of the team building has to come through free agency as well. The fact that in a year when there is more talent available than should be that WFT is sitting on their hands is ungood.

Just now, lavar703 said:

But why would Wilson come here? You have to know the players around the league have seen what’s gone on here for the last 10 years. Could you imagine them trading for Russell Wilson, having no first round pick for the next two years and still approaching free agency this way? Do you actually think they’d change because I don’t. 

I'm not advocating for it. I'm more of a slow build kinda guy. 

And I do agree with you. We have money to spend... let's spend! But I'm wondering if what you're generally saying them is killing them with free agents too?

Wow. 3/$37.5M is an absolute steal for Corey Davis. Elite blocker, legit 4.45 speed at 6’3 and 210 pounds, and oh yeah, he had 65 catches for 984 yards on a team that threw the ball well over 100 fewer times than we did. And which had another star WR eating up targets. Top 10 in yards/target in the league. Top 10 PFF grade last year. Former top 5 pick, so he’s not just a scheme fit try-hard, he’s a legitimate blue chip talent. 

I can’t wait to hear the explanations filter out through the local mouthpieces. “I’m hearing they were very in on Corey Davis, actually had the best offer on the table from what I’m hearing, but the word is that Corey just really valued the opportunity to go play for the least-talented team in the league and he felt that no one could match the level of futility he sees with the Jets. Can’t make em sign 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m mad now. Landing Golladay for less than $18M AAV is the only salve, and I think we all know the odds of them pulling that off. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Woz said:

Lukewarm ones at that.

This is par for the course for Rivera. He only spent $21 million or above on two players during his tenure, and both were OL and near the end of his tenure.

3 minutes ago, Skinsin2013 said:

The corner didn't need to be addressed until they let the viable solution they had walk. They aren't apparently all that involved in the WR targets (unless they're just biding their time for Samuel once the top tier signs). TE market is high injury risk outside of Jonnu Smith.

But some action, anything that shows they are trying. I don't necessarily believe strongly on betting markets, but when WFT is regularly "not involved" or "not interested" I wonder what would require them to be interested.

5 minutes ago, Skinsin2013 said:

He has a no-trade clause he would have to waive to be shipped out of Seattle. Given his earlier list of favored teams and given WFT's lack of action, would he consider waiving it for them? I think that's doubtful.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsin2013 said:

I'm not advocating for it. I'm more of a slow build kinda guy. 

And I do agree with you. We have money to spend... let's spend! But I'm wondering if what you're generally saying them is killing them with free agents too?

It has to be. Snyder’s reputation is what it is right now and everyone knows he is still exerting influence behind the scenes. It also doesn’t help that there is a shadow hanging over us with the NFLs investigation into the franchise as far as free agents are concerned