2021 Free Agent Thread

MikeT14

Just now, LoganF89 said:

People put way to much into comp picks, only way you get those picks is if you don’t sign anyone to a close deal or one that cancels it out. If you signed Darby back you wouldn’t get one, if you signed an even replacement for him you wouldn’t get one so I don’t see what that matters right now.

even if you don’t replace him in free agency and you signed a decent WR that would cancel it out.

only way to get those picks is to have guys you drafted waiting and ready to play and don’t sign any FAs

For instance this year we weren’t expected to get any anyways

26 minutes ago, Woz said:

Rosen had only one year's worth of meh-to-bad tape on him, and three years of a rookie contract remaining (plus 5th year option). Darnold has the opposite: three years meh-to-bad tape, 1 year of rookie contract (plus 5th year option).

I think Darnold shows a lot of promise and we all know he played for a badly coached team.  We will see what the rest of the nfl thinks.  I am guessing likely on draft day.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I wonder if we may find a better/younger option but I’m disappointed. He was good last year he had the most pass defensed on the team.

Where? Whom? At what price?

At the price Denver got Darby, there should have been no question that he was re-signing in Washington.

6 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

No no no they’re just looking for a good deal. I’m glad we’re becoming the rest of the leagues farm system though. Also, watching fans call every single player we let walk away an overpay is getting hilarious.

Also, this is why I didn’t moan and whine when they tagged Scherff like everyone else did. They weren’t going to use that money and they knew it. 

Bruce Allen is still secretly running the team :)

1 minute ago, LoganF89 said:

People put way to much into comp picks, only way you get those picks is if you don’t sign anyone to a close deal or one that cancels it out. If you signed Darby back you wouldn’t get one, if you signed an even replacement for him you wouldn’t get one so I don’t see what that matters right now.

even if you don’t replace him in free agency and you signed a decent WR that would cancel it out.

only way to get those picks is to have guys you drafted waiting and ready to play and don’t sign any FAs

The sad part is that this is not the offseason to be inactive in free agency in. That's next year.

2 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I think Darnold shows a lot of promise and we all know he played for a badly coached team.  We will see what the rest of the nfl thinks.  I am guessing likely on draft day.

If we're waiting for draft day, don't make a move until Day 3. He's not worth more than that relative to his contract.

1 minute ago, Woz said:

The sad part is that this is not the offseason to be inactive in free agency in. That's next year.

Oh don’t worry. When we have $140M worth of cap space next year and we sign nobody and let Allen and Scherff walk you’ll start to see the plan. I’m guessing Snyder needs another yacht. 

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

If we're waiting for draft day, don't make a move until Day 3. He's not worth more than that relative to his contract.

We’ll sign Fitzpatrick so we can kill our draft position again and he’ll retire and we’ll still have no option or way to get a QB lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Oh don’t worry. When we have $140M worth of cap space next year and we sign nobody and let Allen and Scherff walk you’ll start to see the plan. I’m guessing Snyder needs another yacht. 

OHHHH! His winter yacht! I totally forgot about how he needed to have one to keep up with the Joneses.

Everything makes so much more sense now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

You’re right about this. 

Actually, the best way to play the comp pick game is something you suggested earlier: let Darby walk, then sign a guy someone else has cut (like Casey Hayward or Malcolm Butler, for a couple examples). Then you’ve lost a qualifying FA in Darby, and you’ve replaced him with a guy who is not a qualifying FA because he was released by his team. If you’re trying to maximize comp picks, that’s the best way to do it without totally compromising the quality of your team.

The key to me, though, is something you said in your follow-up post: specifically, that we were likely never going to get any comp picks out of this offseason anyway. Because yes, we will now have one qualifying FA in Darby. But who else are we losing that will get signed for enough money to factor into the comp pick formula? Probably Kerrigan. Maybe KPL or Ryan Anderson? In any event, let’s say we have 3 guys walk and become qualified FAs — are we really going to be so conservative in FA that we wouldn’t cancel those out? And even if we don’t cancel all 3, are we not going to sign anyone who would at least cancel out Darby?

If they wanted to play the comp pick game, the move would have been to let Scherff walk too, and replace him with one of these recently released OGs. Then you’re actually in a position to get a good pick or two. But they are, as always, not choosing a coherent course/direction.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

But they are, as always, not choosing a coherent course/direction.

Wait, you mean it didn't make any sense when they completely changed their game plan last season because the rest of the East was a dumpster fire?

AggravatingPeskyCassowary-size_restricte

• Like 1

Oh and now we’re at the part on Twitter where we brag about the lack of leaks. “Oh it’s refreshing and so professional” as the rest of the league gets better. I won’t be excited for one year deals where the guy just walks and we stay in this perpetual 6-10 to 7-9 range year after year. This is still the same dumb *** team that let a franchise QB walk for a third round compensation pick in his prime. 

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

He is probably a little overrated and overpaid with that deal, but he’s a much better player than 2020 Ryan Kerrigan. At this point in Kerrigan’s career, all you’re getting is some pass rush push. He’s never been able to cover a lick and he frequently seems pretty uninterested in playing the run either these days. 

Judon is one of the more well-rounded SAM players in the league. He plays more coverage than most 3-4 OLBs, so you have to adjust his pass-rush totals for the fewer opportunities he has. For a defense that relies on its LBs to give them multiple things, as NE’s (and BAL’s) do, he’s a pretty valuable player.

BAL is a LB factory, so they’ll probably come up with a way to replace most of his contribution, but they’re definitely losing more than just a pass-rusher in Judon. 

I can see Baltimore drafting a LB early and maybe even signing Dupree away from the Steelers. Like you said, they’ll replace him. They know how important LBs are to a 3-4 D