2021 Free Agent Thread

MikeT14

Just now, LoganF89 said:

Truly think most of you all are over reacting right now. What are our positions of need the most?

WR- only one top guy has signed, that being Davis. Then you got less talented guys like Bourne and Agholor 

CB- as far as I’m concerned Darby is the only decent one who has signed with a team. Yeah he outplayed his contract but also was the first time he ever played a full 16. You can put another guy in his spot with the pressure we get up front

LB- yes this is a huge need but outside of Jayon is there really a bunch of guys we could target as a high profile guy? You could argue KJ Wright but he’s up there in age and isn’t what he used to be

FS- there’s been some safeties signed but this is a position we can get a bargain on with how saturated the market is with them. Not to mention mid rounds of the draft.

coll yalls Jets!

I mean, not having a QB is a major problem too. 

18 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

So let’s be realistic here, what happens if this season goes bad?

Depends on what version of "bad" you are envisioning.

If they go 5-11, that would only be a two game worse performance, so Rivera probably survives but is on the hot seat.
If they go 3-13 or worse, he's probably canned.

19 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

If Snyder is still around does he stay out of things?

I think he would, barring him falling in love with a player.

20 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

If a new owner comes in and we have a bad season are we to realistically expect him to keep Rivera and the Carolina crew around?

Again, depends on how bad "bad" is. If I were the new ownership group, I would give the current administration a year to turn it around before I would go looking to make changes ... unless it was an unmitigated disaster.

Yes, the product on the field might not be that good, but the off-field stuff has somewhat disappeared.

21 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I just don’t understand what they’re doing? 

You're not alone there.

16 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Rivera talked about KPL glowingly in his recent press conference, it sounded a lot like they wanted to keep him around if they couldn’t upgrade at the WLB spot. 

This might be a good sign that they feel they’re in the mix for a better player.

Well, yes, but given that KPL just went for $8M total, that's a bit disconcerting.

EDIT: I'm sure he'll be able to find another guy for 1y/$2M to be a drop-in starter. It happens all the time.

Edited by Woz

21 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The problem is, that hasn't happened here yet except for Roullier.  Darby and KPL have departed day one of negotiating.  Scherff is on a franchise tag.  If they don't plan to sign anyone to a large contract, they can get an extension done with Jon Allen.  

They did spend $2.5M on Hopkins! #nothelping

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

Problem solved. We have a franchise QB. 

Won’t give a 27-year old who was basically your most consistent corner $10M a year but we’ll pay a 38-year old QB going on his 9th team $12M lol. Rivera will be gone in two seasons. I’m calling it now. This is why you don’t hire retreads. 

9 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Won’t give a 27-year old who was basically your most consistent corner $10M a year but we’ll pay a 38-year old QB going on his 9th team $12M lol. Rivera will be gone in two seasons. I’m calling it now. This is why you don’t hire retreads. 

Darby showed up for a contract. He’s easily replaceable. As far as Fitz 

1- 12 million is nothing for a QB

2- Ron wasn’t about to get in the business of trading 3 1’s plus for a Deshaun or Russ 

3-Hes the ultimate bridge QB and the offense can actually function with him. 

Personally I wanted Darnold, and my first reaction was oh god no, but this team isn’t asking much from its QB. Defense will carry the day. Do I want the position locked up for a decade? Of course, but Fitz can succeed here for a year or 2. 

Edited by bigdog44

1 minute ago, bigdog44 said:

Darby showed up for a contract. He’s easily replaceable. As far as Fitz 

1- 12 million is nothing for a QB

2- Ron wasn’t about to get in the business of trading 3 1’s plus for a Deshaun or Russ 

3-Hes the ultimate bridge QB and the offense can actually function with him. 

Personally I wanted Darnold, and my first reaction was oh god no, but this team isn’t asking much from its QB. Defense will carry the day. Do I want the position locked up for a decade? Of course, but Fitz can succeed here for a year or 2. 

If this team is starting a 40-year old Fitzpatrick going into year three of Rivera then he’s badly failed as a team builder.