2021 Titans Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

43 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I also don't think of Firkser as TE1. Firkser is a big slot WR. He's more of a replacement for Humphries' snaps than Smith's.

Just don't think we need a TE1. Get some guys who can block in there and go TE by committee.

sounds like you've been listening to Jared Stillman.. i dont belive that about firkser.. the guy is a legit TE prospect. yes, he's more of a receiving TE, but he's not a "big slot" IMO. I think Firk will have a breakout season and announce himself to the league.. he has an awesome skillset.. Ive said many times, that he reminds me of Frank Wycheck..

40 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

I've never viewed Burton as a good blocker and Firkser is already the receiving TE.

And isn't Rodgers still a RFA? Not very familiar with him but he hasn't even played 2 of the last 3 years.

lol naw.. he had 20 something catches for 350 something yards last year.. id take that from our TE2.

36 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Yeah, Firkser had more slot snaps than TE snaps last year, he’s definitely not a true TE1 in our style of offense. And given the skill set of the WRs on the roster, slot seems to be his likely role anyways.

We can probably survive without a true starting tight end, though it gets a lot tougher if you’re trying to survive without either a TE1 or WR2. I’d guess there’ll be a trade of some kind, whether it’s for one of the talented, backup TEs (Howard, Njoku) or a reliable WR (Crowder, Patrick), there just needs to be something else added to the receiving room.

Or Julio lol. Because sure, why not?

We  have a WR2 IMO.. i like reynolds a lot.. lacking in certain positions can be overrated as long as you have elite guys in other places.. which we do.. qb, wr1, rb along with our oline are ALL elite.. as long as the other role players on offense are sufficient, we will be good.. who was green bay's number 2 wr or te last year? who was the bills' te last year? who was their rb? average guys but these teams were good because elite play from their big money guys.. as long as our big money guys play how they should, we will be fine..

7 minutes ago, Airness McNairness said:

who was green bay's number 2 wr or te last year?

I mean, Tonyan had double-digit touchdowns last year. And I love Tannehill, but he’s not Aaron Rodgers. And I love AJB, but he’s not Davante Adams. At least not yet. One of the best QBs in the history of the game gives you a bit more flexibility.

As for the Bills, they had a talented and capable RB duo and entered the year with a WR trio of Stefon Diggs, John Brown and Cole Beasley, so I’m not sure where we’re going with that.

33 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I think those options would be much too appeasing to the fans to happen. I'm thinking more along the lines of a WR everyone thinks is washed up and a TE half of us haven't heard of.

Fully possible. But until camp opens, I can keep hoping.

5 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I mean, Tonyan had double-digit touchdowns last year. And I love Tannehill, but he’s not Aaron Rodgers. And I love AJB, but he’s not Davante Adams. At least not yet. One of the best QBs in the history of the game gives you a bit more flexibility.

As for the Bills, they had a talented and capable RB duo and entered the year with a WR trio of Stefon Diggs, John Brown and Cole Beasley, so I’m not sure where we’re going with that.

the point is tannehill doesnt have to be aaron rodgers.. just perform at that elite level that he did last year.. aj doesnt have to put up the numbers adams did, but going into year 3, do we really think he can be just as productive? not 100 catches in this offense but the same talent level.

and you're proving my point with the bills... they didnt have "talented" running backs.. they had back up caliber guys.. again.. aj is and can be just as good as diggs was last year.. remember aj is skill ascending and diggs likely has plateued. the supporting cast may be SLIGHTLY better but not by much.. THE POINT, in all of this is that if your elite guys play like elite guys, then production from your role players or lack their off can be less.. if its more, you're probably a superbowl caliber team

2 minutes ago, Airness McNairness said:

they didnt have "talented" running backs.. they had back up caliber guys.

No, they didn’t. Singletary was a Day 2 pick that averaged 5 yards per carry as a rookie and Zack Moss was another Day 2 rookie. Both of them are fully capable runners, especially in a pass-heavy scheme.

The point seems to be that if we stay completely and totally healthy, maybe the offense can remain good. What happens if AJ goes down? He missed a game and at least a drive essentially every week last year, we just keep rolling with a career WR3 as our primary receiver and a rookie fourth-rounder on the other side? I guess you can make the argument that any team is hurt if their No. 1 goes down, so let’s  say it’s Reynolds or Firkser instead. Where are we at when teams throw hard doubles on AJB on every passing down?

The passing game under the current roster construction is set up in a way that literally any injury to a contributor could cripple the offense. If you’re comfortable with that, that’s great. Given that we’re coming off of a year where all three of our receivers and our TE missed at least one game, I’m not quite sure I love the injuries won’t happen plan.

1 minute ago, titans0021 said:

No, they didn’t. Singletary was a Day 2 pick that averaged 5 yards per carry as a rookie and Zack Moss was another Day 2 rookie. Both of them are fully capable runners, especially in a pass-heavy scheme.

The point seems to be that if we stay completely and totally healthy, maybe the offense can remain good. What happens if AJ goes down? He missed a game and at least a drive essentially every week last year, we just keep rolling with a career WR3 as our primary receiver and a rookie fourth-rounder on the other side? I guess you can make the argument that any team is hurt if their No. 1 goes down, so let’s  say it’s Reynolds or Firkser instead. Where are we at when teams throw hard doubles on AJB on every passing down?

The passing game under the current roster construction is set up in a way that literally any injury to a contributor could cripple the offense. If you’re comfortable with that, that’s great. Given that we’re coming off of a year where all three of our receivers and our TE missed at least one game, I’m not quite sure I love the injuries won’t happen plan.

I mean, the scenario of one of your best players going down will affect any team.  I mean, we were the only team in the NFL last season with two 1000 yd receivers.  The only one.

So what would happen to us would be the same thing that happens to any team that loses a star player to injury.

As for what we do if teams are double teaming AJ, then we run them into the ground, because they can't stack the box and double team AJ every play.  Or if they try, they can leave every other player we have uncovered.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

then why were they rumored to be trying to find a running back and linked to both Harris and Ettiene in the draft? those running backs are Darrington Evans level...

I never based this off injuries wont happen.. if you look back, my point was that we could be ok lacking in certain areas as long as our elite guys perform at the level expected.. you talking about injuries and guys going down is not my point at all..

i answer that with a, DUH!.. how many teams wouldnt be affected by that?

Just now, Airness McNairness said:

then why were they rumored to be trying to find a running back and linked to both Harris and Ettiene in the draft? those running backs are Darrington Evans level...

I never based this off injuries wont happen.. if you look back, my point was that we could be ok lacking in certain areas as long as our elite guys perform at the level expected.. you talking about injuries and guys going down is not my point at all..

i answer that with a, DUH!.. how many teams wouldnt be affected by that?

Be affected by players the caliber of Josh Reynolds and Anthony Firkser going down? I’d say most teams wouldn’t be all that affected by it. Hell, we wouldn’t have been affected by it last year.

Just now, titans0021 said:

Like, I get the point that with elite QB play, you can get by with a No. 1 and role players. But we barely even have role players.

how do we barely have role players? we are a run first team.. we have maybe the best o line in football, the best running back, a top 10 wr and qb.. a wr2 who had 600 yards last year in limited oppurtunies.. we did all we did last year with 675 yards combined from the slot and te1 last year..

Just now, Airness McNairness said:

we could in their new roles as te1 and wr2....

That’s kind of my point. By thrusting players that would’ve been nothing more than good depth pieces last year into those roles, we’ve now put ourselves in a position where if we lose just competent role players we’re now forced to rely on garbage.

Kind of like, you know, the playoff game where we ended up calling plays for Khalif Raymond with the game on the line because of our injuries and lack of depth.

6 minutes ago, Airness McNairness said:

how do we barely have role players? we are a run first team.. we have maybe the best o line in football, the best running back, a top 10 wr and qb.. a wr2 who had 600 yards last year in limited oppurtunies.. we did all we did last year with 675 yards combined from the slot and te1 last year..

How do we barely have role players in the passing game? We literally have one established receiving threat, two players that have proven little and then nothing. Three NFL caliber receiving options on the entire roster is pretty much the definition of barely having role players.