2021 Titans Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

So how do yall grade the draft overall? I think it’s a solid B.

Good marks for Farley, Molden, and Weaver, low ones for Rice and Fitzpatrick. Wish they addressed the front seven more, and added a TE. Happy that OT and DB appear to be strong, and ok with the WR depth added.

33 minutes ago, Daniel said:

So how do yall grade the draft overall? I think it’s a solid B.

Good marks for Farley, Molden, and Weaver, low ones for Rice and Fitzpatrick. Wish they addressed the front seven more, and added a TE. Happy that OT and DB appear to be strong, and ok with the WR depth added.

yeah, i’d say about the same. farley has the potential to be the kind of bona fide superstar CB the titans have never seen, but he’s a biiiig risk. molden’s almost the opposite, super high floor guy who can come in and be a rock solid slot/3rd safety immediately. radunz is a good player, but not sure i would’ve gone OT there. weaver was a steal. still scratching my head over rice, and fitzpatrick doesn’t seem like he was the best WR available there. overall pretty solid draft that i’ll feel a lot better about if we do something about our WR/TE and DL depth situation

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-draft-grades-2021-live-picks-results/12vn4s61xusn71cix3t8h0lv7k#Round 2 results

22. Tennessee Titans: Caleb Farley, CB, Virginia Tech

• Grade: B+

The Titans stopped Farley’s fall because of injury concerns, knowing he has the size and smooth coverage skills to develop into a shutdown player who can also make big plays when needed. The Titans could have also considered offensive tackle or edge rusher, but this was a good choice to bring into their defense along with Janoris Jenkins and Kristian Fulton. The value boosts the decision to address this position first.

53. Tennessee Titans: Dillon Radunz, OT, North Dakota State

• Grade: A

The Titans had to upgrade right tackle opposite Taylor Lewan and did it with a sturdy presence built to power their run-heavy attack with Derrick Henry. Radunz, early with some first-round consideration, had a late resurgence up some boards with his ideal frame. 

92. Tennessee Titans (from Packers): Monty Rice, LB, Goergia

• Grade: B

The Titans got a heady defender built for former linebacker Mike Vrabel. Rice might be limited to being a run-stopper in the NFL, but he has the smarts and instincts to develop from a situational, physical thumper into more of an asset vs. the passing game.

100. Tennessee Titans: Elijah Molden, CB, Washington

• Grade: A

The Titans took a sliding Caleb Farley for a potential big shutdown corner outside and followed up with a slot solution after only renting Desmond King last season. Molden has the athleticism, quickness and toughness needed to consistently win in inside coverage.

PFF likes it..

TENNESSEE TITANS

R1 (22): CB Caleb Farley, Virginia Tech
R2 (53): OT Dillon Radunz, North Dakota State
R3 (92): LB Monty Rice, Georgia
R3 (100): SCB Elijah Molden, Washington
R4 (109): WR Dez Fitzpatrick, Louisville
R4 (135): EDGE Rashad Weaver, Pittsburgh
R6 (205): WR Racey McMath, LSU
R6 (215): S Brady Breeze, Oregon

Day 1: If Farley had a clean medical report, he would have gone within the first 10 picks. He suffered a torn ACL in 2017, had a back operation in 2019 and then had another surgery in late March. That makes this a risky bet, but if he stays healthy, this is a huge steal. His 6-foot-2, 207-pound frame with 33 ⅜-inch arms is ideal for an NFL corner. Farley is also capable of running a sub-4.3-second 40-yard dash and boasts the production to back those traits up. He earned a 90.5 coverage grade in his final college season in 2019.

Day 2: Tennessee’s last swing at an offensive tackle was a disaster, as 2020 first-round pick Isaiah Wilson played just three snaps on offense — all kneel-downs — before he ran himself out of town. Dillon Radunz is a little undersized and underweight but has exceptional movement skills and the tools to be an elite pass-blocker, even if it could take a period of time to get there.

Monty Rice has been flying around finding the football between the hedges for as long we can remember, but he lost his starting spot to Nakobe Dean this past season. He’ll need to figure out what’s happening in front of him at a much higher level in the NFL, but at least he has the athleticism to work with at the pro level. He’s a great tackler, but he just needs to read the game better. 

Molden can come in and be an excellent slot cornerback, especially on a team looking to rebuild its defensive backfield. Molden, who was the highest-graded slot corner of the PFF College era, was a borderline first-round talent and falls to the bottom of the third. There’s no doubt that this is a great pick, and now Molden and Caleb Farley could change the outlook of the Titans’ season. Molden is a playmaker and a great tackler — he has so much value at this pick it’s incredible.

Day 3: The Titans got exceptional value here by selecting Rashad Weaver, PFF’s EDGE10 and the 63rd-ranked prospect in this class. He has power, ideal size/length and technical refinement, but he’s not going to impress from an athletic standpoint. He is also on the older side. Still, he has an incredibly high floor and should be able to make an impact right away. After coming off a torn ACL, Weaver posted a 90.0 pass-rush grade this past year.

Draft Grade: A

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-draft-grades-all-32-teams#TEN

15 minutes ago, TitanTuff said:

Monty Rice has been flying around finding the football between the hedges for as long we can remember, but he lost his starting spot to Nakobe Dean this past season. He’ll need to figure out what’s happening in front of him at a much higher level in the NFL, but at least he has the athleticism to work with at the pro level. He’s a great tackler, but he just needs to read the game better. 

Sounds like Evans lol

18 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Nice way of saying “we don’t want you back”

“We want you back just no where near that option price” 😂

Ya as expected

Cowboys are not picking up Vander Esch’s option either

2 LBs who were supposed to be franchise guys 

I’m all for Evans having a great year in a year we are trying to revamp the D as he’s going out the door 

• Like 1

Some thoughts on the draft and roster. 

Farley - Risky, but I like the fact that, if healthy, we’re getting elite athleticism at the position. The secondary desperately needed an injection of speed and Farley is all that.

Raydunz - not who anyone wanted, but it makes sense. The Isaiah Wilson makeup pick. Hurts we couldn’t land a  premier pass catcher here, but that’s the cost of missing so badly on a 1st round pick. Solid pick

Monty Rice - the biggest head scratcher given the needs, but it gives us some insight on their opinion of their LBs. The writing is on the wall for Evans and Jayon Brown is likely out the door as well. I think this is a guy they really wanted. The pick might be good, but again passing on a pass catcher is a MAJOR head scratcher here. 

Moldon- Again pass on pass catchers, but I love this pick. I think this guy will be a fan favorite and make a bunch of splash plays. Younger, cheaper Desmond king. If they use him smartly, he’ll be very good.

Fitzpatrick - finally they take a pass catcher and I dunno. I like the traits, but this guy needs to be a home run. If AJ Brown goes down this passing game reverts basically to Fisherball. Would like this pick much more if he was the 2nd wr we had drafted, but I think we’re expecting a lot of quality snaps right away for 4th round pick. 

Weaver- Going into the draft, outside of corner, I would say our biggest needs were Wr, TE, and edge depth. We finally get some edge depth here. My question is where does he play? Does he stand up or is he more of a 5 tech? I still don’t like the edge rusher depth and I have a feeling  that they are counting on Dupree and Landry to both play over 85% of the defensive snaps.

McMath - Titans drafting special teamers. Again has some traits. I guess he has more upside than nick westbrook-Ikene 

Breeze - another special teamed. Will he even make the  53 man roster?🤷🏾‍♂️🤷🏾‍♂️

All the picks made sense to me, but the lack of pass catchers or TE’s was troubling. I know this is a weak year for them, but at this point you only have Firkser and Swainn at this point? Could this be an area they address via trade? Same goes for WR, we’ve all heard the rumors. I’m not expecting Julio, but I expect them to infuse some veteran talent somehow. My last thought is about Evans again. I’m sure I’m not the first person to mention this, but I could certainly see a DGB type trade that moves Evans to a LB needy team in exchange for a WR or TE. That’s something to pay attention to.

1 minute ago, 615finest said:

I think we’re going to trade for another WR or TE. This off-season just seems incomplete so far.

Im holding out hope ART has given us a verbal ok on Julio trade.

For Robinson to really comment on other teams calling about a trade makes me say there is a trade coming.

Will it be for a TE like Njoku or Howard? 
I have a hard time seeing how Julio would fit, money wise. But many here say it's a simple Tanny restructure so...dunno. 

I don't think our TE room is set. 
I think we will add another WR, vet in FA. 
I think Reynolds is better option than many want to give credit for.
I think Fitzpatrick at worst could give us what Tajae did before he left.