Seattle Seahawks -- Off-Season Thread

showtime

19 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Jamaal Williams - 100% expect him to sign here if we miss out on Fournette. Big back, bruiser, very good hands, good in pass pro. Recipe for what Pete likes.

Signed with the Lions 2 years max $7.5m (so more likely in the 5-6m range). 

Really frustrating that we didn't make a move on this at that price. He would've been a tremendous compliment to Penny. 

NFC West updates: 

49ers resign LT Trent Williams & sign C Alex Mack. Trent is arguably the best LT in the league and, while Mack is not what he used to be, he's very familiar with Shanahan and should be an upgrade to what they had last year. 

Rams resign Leonard Floyd to big money & trade away DT Michael Brockers for absolute peanuts ('23 7th). They also lost S John Johnson to the Browns, which is probably the biggest blow to that team this offseason. 

Cardinals just signed WR AJ Green. He ranked dead last in the NFL in Separation Yards last year, but Seahawks fans saw first-hand what happens when a talented, disgruntled Bengal escapes the clutches of that franchise. Green isn't a guy to fear, but it's a formidable addition to that WR room. 

Just now, showtime said:

It kind of feels like Seattle is tanking lol

It's getting hard to watch. Teams like the Saints and Chiefs are magically moving around tens of millions of dollars in cap space to maximize the window of their teams and we're sitting on our hands hoping Ahkello Witherspoon can slow down DeAndre Hopkins, Robert Woods, and Brandon Aiyuk 🤦‍♂️

I'm just getting tired of Pete and John. Pete refuses to adapt to an evolving league and John continues to cripple us by trading for other teams damaged goods (obviously Jamal's a great player, but you'll never convince me he's worth two 1st round picks + a max contract). 

2 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

It's getting hard to watch. Teams like the Saints and Chiefs are magically moving around tens of millions of dollars in cap space to maximize the window of their teams and we're sitting on our hands hoping Ahkello Witherspoon can slow down DeAndre Hopkins, Robert Woods, and Brandon Aiyuk 🤦‍♂️

I'm just getting tired of Pete and John. Pete refuses to adapt to an evolving league and John continues to cripple us by trading for other teams damaged goods (obviously Jamal's a great player, but you'll never convince me he's worth two 1st round picks + a max contract). 

I assumed after the Adams trade they were going all in. Maybe they can't afford people? I don't really follow cap stuff. All I see is other teams making stuff happen and the Seahawks getting worse.

Just now, showtime said:

I assumed after the Adams trade they were going all in. Maybe they can't afford people? I don't really follow cap stuff. All I see is other teams making stuff happen and the Seahawks getting worse.

We're definitely cap strapped, especially when you consider the inevitable Jamal Adams contract on the horizon; but the Saints and Chiefs literally had negative cap space to begin this offseason. Since then, the Saints have signed a starting QB and the Chiefs have signed one of the best Guards in football. 

We've signed Ahkello Witherspoon. It'd just be nice to see a little creative cap maneuvering the way you see other teams do it. Other teams treat the cap like a suggestion. We treat it like constitutional law. 

/frustration

3 hours ago, animaltested said:

They seem to be trying to have a pristinely clean book in 2022 and 2023. 

Not sure why. 

Ya I can’t tell if this is our preference or the players preference when negotiating. I can’t think of anyone outside of DK who we should be dying to make room for.

That said, Seahawks trade a 2021 5th for Raiders OG Gabe Jackson.

Interesting move here. On the upside, Jackson has been rated as a top 20 pass pro Guard every single year he’s been in the league. He’s played the last 4 seasons at RG, but prior to that he played 2 seasons at LG where he graded as the 8th best pass pro Guard in each of those seasons. I’m thinking we shift him back to the left to keep Lewis at RG. 

On the downside, he’s a fairly mediocre run blocker despite being 330+ pounds. He also carries a non-guaranteed $18m over the next 2 years. Big number to be giving up a 5th for. I imagine we rework his deal to give him more guaranteed money while lowering the cap hit. 

Overall, we have what might be the best OLine in the Pete Carroll era with this addition. It will be very interesting to see who we acquire at this point to play the pivot. David Andrews still out there.

I like bringing back Carson. Carson-Penny-Dallas-Homer/Collins is a solid stable to run with. 

Additional good news Seahawks fans. League source told me today the market continues to break favorably when it comes to KJ Wright and Carlos Dunlap. Strong chance both players eventually return.

This is also good news as well. 

16 hours ago, animaltested said:

I like bringing back Carson. Carson-Penny-Dallas-Homer/Collins is a solid stable to run with. 

Additional good news Seahawks fans. League source told me today the market continues to break favorably when it comes to KJ Wright and Carlos Dunlap. Strong chance both players eventually return.

This is also good news as well. 

Would absolutely love to get those guys back. 

Very happy to have Carson back but I can't say for sure if that's my preferred use of cap space. Personally would've been find with Jamal Williams for half the cost. He's younger, more durable, and has essentially the same skill set. 

Brady Henderson

@BradyHenderson

The Seahawks’ one-year deal with C Ethan Pocic is worth $3M fully guaranteed, I’m told. He gets a $2M signing bonus and a $1M base salary. There’s a second year that automatically voids five days after the Super Bowl and spreads out the bonus proration. His ‘21 cap number is $2M.

2 million cap hit for Pocic in 2021 is pretty solid. Could obviously still draft an IOL to compete/ develop for 2022.