Our new defensive scheme under Robert Saleh

jetjuice

It goes without saying that we will be seeing some changes under the new staff and it's going to be on both sides of the ball. I found some videos that dig a bit deeper into the systems that Robert Saleh and Mike LaFleur will be bringing over from San Francisco. I highly advise you take the time to watch these videos if you want to know more about what we'll be running next year. I am going to make a post for the offense and the defense. 

Let's start with the defense as that will be Saleh's responsibility.

So a few misconceptions about Saleh's defense... he broke away from that Seattle 4-3 under/LEO defense because it was very vanilla with a single-high safety look and relied heavily on talent, which is why it basically only worked for the Legion of Boom and the ridiculous amount of talent in Seattle. Saleh actually runs more of a wide-9 defense now and the transition to this scheme coincides directly with the 49ers defense skyrocketing to 2nd best in the league under Saleh. The wide gap schemes means that we are definitely going to need some fast,, aggressive linebackers that can fill those gaps, while also being smart and athletic enough to cover ground in the pass game and not get eaten alive by play action (run/pass queues). Point being - this defense will run through our LB's, and we have a lot of work to do there.

LINEBACKERS - only noteworthy guys CJ Mosley and Blake Cashman are under contract for next year, and we have no idea what we're even getting out of Mosley at this point. I expect a massive facelift at the LB position this offseason, but I will say that both of those guys are solid fits for the defense. If we can get the most out of them this season, that'll be HUGE, but we need the Mosley we expected when we first signed him and for Cashman to stay healthy. In all honesty, Micah Parsons is an excellent fit in this defense. He's an absolute savage when he gets to play downhill and is athletic and versatile enough to not only fill run gaps from a stack LB position, but also has some pass rushing chops and being that he is a former RB he is fluid enough to play in coverage too. His biggest issue is his instincts, so he's a guy that might be best served at the MIKE position where he won't have cutback responsibilities in an ever-evolving offensive landscape in the NFL. Zaven Collins is another guy who I love, but I see him as a riser who will eventually work his way into the teens. Nick Bolton might be more reasonable at 23 and he's highly instinctive, but not as athletic as some of the other guys. Hell I would give a call to SF and see if they might entertain a Fred Warner trade. He's a beast and plays a huge role in Saleh's defense, plus they seem to love each other. Warner is entering a contract year and while the 49ers aren't cap strapped, they could use the space and draft picks if they wanna make a play for DeShaun Watson...

SECONDARY - as you can see there is a lot of communication needed in this secondary. With basically all of SF's cornerbacks being free agents this offseason, I expect us to definitely bring over some combination of Richard Sherman, K'Wuan Williams, Jaquiski Tartt, and/or Akhello Witherspoon. Also we NEED to re-sign Maye, he's too good of a player to let walk and fits the scheme perfectly as he's capable of doing everything needed from the safety position in this scheme. We need SMART DB's that can handle route switching responsibilities and know when they're seeing tendency breakers vs. what was scouted. I need to dig deeper into the CB prospects this year to see who might be a fit for us.

D-LINE - this is probably where we are best off with our current personnel. We have the guys to make it work without adding any new pieces (Quinnen/JFM inside, Basham/Zuniga/Jenkins from the edge). Do we have world beaters at these positions? No. Can we use the upgrade? Sure. Do we have a gaping hole anywhere along the line? Not nearly as much as we do in the secondary or LB position. I would love to see us add a guy like Nick Bosa and help bring consistent pressure, but I am not sure that guy is available this year, especially in the draft. I am curious to see how Fatukasi fits in this scheme too, because if he fits then we will be just about set on our interior DL rotation. It seems like Saleh's front line needs to be able to occupy two blockers at a time, which Fatukasi does well. I could see him being a trade option if he doesn't fit though, plenty of teams would have interest in a young, cheap, talented player like him.

Overall, we have a lot of work to do, but we have the right guy in place. Now it's on JD to get him the right players.

• Like 1

The thing is his scheme was adjusted after two years in San Francisco so I think he’s going to run something different based on the personnel. We don’t have wide 9 personnel, we don’t have rangy linebackers.  And If we try And utilize our resources this off-season to rebuild the defense then we’re trotting out another bottom 5 offense. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

The thing is his scheme was adjusted after two years in San Francisco so I think he’s going to run something different based on the personnel. We don’t have wide 9 personnel, we don’t have rangy linebackers.  And If we try And utilize our resources this off-season to rebuild the defense then we’re trotting out another bottom 5 offense. 

Yeah because the 4-3 under defense that Seattle ran was outdated. It only worked because of the talent there. 

You are looking at our team needs very acutely. We need a lot of help on both sides of the ball. We are going to have a much different looking team next year.

I do like the idea of building the O thru the draft this year tho, plenty of talent all over.

11 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

Yeah because the 4-3 under defense that Seattle ran was outdated. It only worked because of the talent there. 

You are looking at our team needs very acutely. We need a lot of help on both sides of the ball. We are going to have a much different looking team next year.

I do like the idea of building the O thru the draft this year tho, plenty of talent all over.

The needs on O outweighs the needs on D. The defense hasn't been great but is closer to being great than the O. You bring back key guys like Maye and Poole and I'm comfortable with the secondary  especially if we run more quarters coverage since it fits. Other than that its about the linebackers and EDGE positions. 

I'm glad we have evidence of him adjusting because that gives me hope he looks at what we have and builds the defensive scheme around that. 

58 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Lol I wish we had the personnel for this but not even close. I am encouraged though.

What would we need that we did not already need?  Serious question. In my eyes we need at least one starting outside CB, a slot CB (maybe Guidry can fill that role), and EDGE. If we resign Hewitt which, I expect, he can fill the Sam, Mosley at Mike, Cashman at Will. It may not be ideal but I am not sure it is such a pressing need. 

1 hour ago, xrade said:

What would we need that we did not already need?  Serious question. In my eyes we need at least one starting outside CB, a slot CB (maybe Guidry can fill that role), and EDGE. If we resign Hewitt which, I expect, he can fill the Sam, Mosley at Mike, Cashman at Will. It may not be ideal but I am not sure it is such a pressing need. 

Hewitt and Cashman arent starting LBs. They are reserves but we may not have a choice with at least one of them playing a ton of snaps. We need athletic LBs to play with Mosely (who you can hardly count on) and like you said at least 2 corners. Hall should start, zone is what hes best at. We need a SS that can also cover as well as move into the box. Davis is a decent player but def more of a FS like Maye and didnt exactly look great in year one. We need 2 DEs. Again its going to be athletic DEs with some speed over size (something we've lacked for a decade or more). For years the best teams were getting faster and we were getting bigger on D. JFM will likely be rotational and honestly I think hes legitimately good, but not exactly the ideal wide 9. Hey we are the 2-14 Jets we need a lot everywhere but I do think a lot of players we just drafted are going to benefit from this scheme, specifically Jabari Zuniga and Bryce Hall. 

46 minutes ago, xrade said:

Defensive Line- we do not have Wide 9 EDGE rushers at all. Maybe JFM and Zuniga can play it next year. 

Linebackers- Need to be physical enough to play the run(similar to 3-4 ILB) and tangy enough to cover in space(similar to 4-3 LB). Mosley can play MIKE but we don’t know if he’s lost a step. The rest of our linebacker core doesn’t fit. Cashman, we haven’t seen enough of to even know because he gets hurt every time he gets on the field.

Secondary- I would roll with what we have for this season. I’m comfortable with them should we bring Maye and Poole back.

15 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Defensive Line- we do not have Wide 9 EDGE rushers at all. Maybe JFM and Zuniga can play it next year. 

We don’t have any 3-4 Edge rushers either. This is why I said we need an EDGE anyway. 

17 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Secondary- I would roll with what we have for this season. I’m comfortable with them should we bring Maye and Poole back.

Who would start opposite Hall?  Austin? He can’t cover and is probably better suited to SS. Jackson? Guidry who is better suited in the slot?

41 minutes ago, xrade said:

We don’t have any 3-4 Edge rushers either. This is why I said we need an EDGE anyway. 

Who would start opposite Hall?  Austin? He can’t cover and is probably better suited to SS. Jackson? Guidry who is better suited in the slot?

We have 3-4 EDGE rushers in the program tho, we really just need a consistent threat from one side. Now we need two. 

Austin can start at CB2 but we should bring in some competition.

You ignored the entire point about Linebackers which could be 3 potential holes depending on what they do with Mosley and how he looks.