Our new defensive scheme under Robert Saleh

jetjuice

Great find on the video.

Defensively I think we have a few key holes to fill.  CB is one.  Poole should be brought back and Guidry certainly flashed enough to be solid depth.  Hall was great down the stretch outside of a few instances but overall he is pretty clearly a starting CB.  Great find by JD.  We are desperate for another CB though and I think that is made a big priority either at 23 or 34 in the draft.

The DL is mostly set but given our cap space we should look for an immediate impact pass rusher like Trey Hendrickson which is the other key holes we need to fill.  He'll fit the scheme perfectly and between Huff and Zuniga you hope you can get enough out of the other side.  Our interior is set.

I love the idea of Tartt.  Given Mate's fit is better suited for FS, Tartt makes a ton of sense in the SS role.  That takes the pressure off Davis early on which is good.

Lastly the LBs. I think Mosley will be fine if we have a normal offseason.  It may take him the first quarter of the season to get back into playing form if not.  Most of the time we'll be in nickel anyway but I don't expect any major moves here at least not in year 1.  I could see us looking for that athletic type LB in the 4th or 5th.

So we make a big splash in FA with Trey, we use a high pick on a CB, we resign the important pieces Maye and Poole, and we add a late round LB to compete with Hewitt and Cashman opposite Mosley.

That defense should be good enough to keep us in games with improved pass rush and hopefully a high level CB tandem.  If Mosley is himself then it could even be better.

That still leaves us with a ton of cap and picks to attack the offense which should be the priority.

Edited by Rockice_8

38 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Great find on the video.

Defensively I think we have a few key holes to fill.  CB is one.  Poole should be brought back and Guidry certainly flashed enough to be solid depth.  Hall was great down the stretch outside of a few instances but overall he is pretty clearly a starting CB.  Great find by JD.  We are desperate for another CB though and I think that is made a big priority either at 23 or 34 in the draft.

The DL is mostly set but given our cap space we should look for an immediate impact pass rusher like Trey Hendrickson which is the other key holes we need to fill.  He'll fit the scheme perfectly and between Huff and Zuniga you hope you can get enough out of the other side.  Our interior is set.

I love the idea of Tartt.  Given Mate's fit is better suited for FS, Tartt makes a ton of sense in the SS role.  That takes the pressure off Davis early on which is good.

Lastly the LBs. I think Mosley will be fine if we have a normal offseason.  It may take him the first quarter of the season to get back into playing form if not.  Most of the time we'll be in nickel anyway but I don't expect any major moves here at least not in year 1.  I could see us looking for that athletic type LB in the 4th or 5th.

So we make a big splash in FA with Trey, we use a high pick on a CB, we resign the important pieces Maye and Poole, and we add a late round LB to compete with Hewitt and Cashman opposite Mosley.

That defense should be good enough to keep us in games with improved pass rush and hopefully a high level CB tandem.  If Mosley is himself then it could even be better.

That still leaves us with a ton of cap and picks to attack the offense which should be the priority.

Only thing I'm not with you on is the importance of the LB position. This defense runs off fast athletic linebackers being able to shoot their gaps aggressively that can also cover. Our guys are questionable at best fits right now and we lack depth as well. I think we are more likely to bring over SF defensive backs to at least hold down the fort this year and let guys our young guys continue to develop and compete. Richard Sherman, Jason Verrett, Akhello Witherspoon, and K'Wuan Williams are all FA's, any one of them would help our situation a lot.

Sherman/Witherspoon/Verrett/Williams (we may even sign multiple)

Poole

Austin

Hall

Guidry

Day 2 rookie

Not world beaters, but it can get us by. Now the front 7...

I do love the idea of Hendrickson in this defense. There is no way the Saints can re-sign him as a third pass rusher with their cap situation. He would shore up one massive hole for us. Our line with Hendrickson on run downs would be:

Hendrickson.    Quinnen.    Foley.    JFM.    

Cashman.    Mosley.    Collins.     

Sherman.    Tartt.     Maye.     Poole.      

However on passing downs we would kick JFM inside and take Foley off the field for a speedier rusher. Now this is where I start to get excited about the possibilities on this defense. Imagine we can get a guy like Zaven Collins at 23 who could play as a 4-3 stack LB on early downs alongside Mosley and Cashman or whoever else we acquire. He has good enough pass rush that he can move down to a 9-tech and provide the speed rush we need from that position on passing downs too. That speed and versatility is super important from that position.

Our nickel defense would be:

Hendrickson.    Quinnen.    JFM.    Collins.    

Cashman.    Mosley.    

Sherman.    Tartt.     Maye.     Poole.    Hall.    

Now we have the versatility at every level to deploy a 4-2-5, 3-3-5, 3-2-6, or any sort of passing sub-package. That's a complete face lift right there with just 3 additions - two free agents that are direct transplants from SF, which is not an unreasonable prediction, and one draft pick. We still have plenty of draft capital and cap space to attack the offensive side of the ball and even further help the defense. Even though you're not worried about our LB's, I still am after looking at this projected lineup. It's hard to trust Mosley and Cashman honestly. If you replace Collins with Micah Parsons this defense gets even better. Parsons is someone I think we need to seriously prepare ourselves for as a real possibility if we trade down to 4 or because he's an absolutely a perfect fit for this defense. Either way, with the right moves we can reshape this side of the ball rather quickly. The good thing for us is that while the wide-9 relies heavily on interior DL, we actually have the horses we need there. Keep building inside-out, it'll pay off.

Edited by jetjuice

10 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

We have 3-4 EDGE rushers in the program tho, we really just need a consistent threat from one side. Now we need two. 

Austin can start at CB2 but we should bring in some competition.

You ignored the entire point about Linebackers which could be 3 potential holes depending on what they do with Mosley and how he looks. 

I ignored that part because I do not entirely disagree with you. We need upgrades to be sure, but I don’t believe it is as dire as you make it sound.

I just can’t get over any Jets fan watching our CB’s and thinking we can run with them next year. That, to me, is the biggest need on D. Personally, I do not like this team being ranked 29th in passing yards per game. The front 7 had better get to the QB in record breaking fashion for that to change much.

I love the ideal of Tartt too @Rockice_8 and I also like the idea of Ahkello Witherspoon. They have a ton of free agents. Like it or not, a handful of ex 49ers will be in green in 2021. Rex did the same when he came here as did the two other idiots we hired after him. Tartt and Witherspoon could be very solid starters and had for modest salaries, especially Tartt. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Enough with Sherman.   He will be FREAKING 33 years old next season.

Yeah, his play has definitely fallen off. I would not want him to start for this team and he would if we signed him, he would. I would like to bring him in as a coach. He is smart and knows the D. I wonder if he would accept a coaching role?

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

Enough with Sherman.   He will be FREAKING 33 years old next season.

I named 4 CB's from SF and he was one of them, it's just an example. You get the idea, replace him with Witherspoon, Williams, Verrett. Take your pick, but let's not act like a veteran presence to assist with the transition is far-fetched.

1 hour ago, xrade said:

I ignored that part because I do not entirely disagree with you. We need upgrades to be sure, but I don’t believe it is as dire as you make it sound.

I just can’t get over any Jets fan watching our CB’s and thinking we can run with them next year. That, to me, is the biggest need on D. Personally, I do not like this team being ranked 29th in passing yards per game. The front 7 had better get to the QB in record breaking fashion for that to change much.

This defense is built on pressure from the front 4 and linebackers who can play both the run and pass effectively. How is CB a bigger need than that?

3 hours ago, jetjuice said:

Only thing I'm not with you on is the importance of the LB position. This defense runs off fast athletic linebackers being able to shoot their gaps aggressively that can also cover. Our guys are questionable at best fits right now and we lack depth as well. I think we are more likely to bring over SF defensive backs to at least hold down the fort this year and let guys our young guys continue to develop and compete. Richard Sherman, Jason Verrett, Akhello Witherspoon, and K'Wuan Williams are all FA's, any one of them would help our situation a lot.

Sherman/Witherspoon/Verrett/Williams (we may even sign multiple)

Poole

Austin

Hall

Guidry

Day 2 rookie

Not world beaters, but it can get us by. Now the front 7...

I do love the idea of Hendrickson in this defense. There is no way the Saints can re-sign him as a third pass rusher with their cap situation. He would shore up one massive hole for us. Our line with Hendrickson on run downs would be:

Hendrickson.    Quinnen.    Foley.    JFM.    

Cashman.    Mosley.    Collins.     

Sherman.    Tartt.     Maye.     Poole.      

However on passing downs we would kick JFM inside and take Foley off the field for a speedier rusher. Now this is where I start to get excited about the possibilities on this defense. Imagine we can get a guy like Zaven Collins at 23 who could play as a 4-3 stack LB on early downs alongside Mosley and Cashman or whoever else we acquire. He has good enough pass rush that he can move down to a 9-tech and provide the speed rush we need from that position on passing downs too. That speed and versatility is super important from that position.

Our nickel defense would be:

Hendrickson.    Quinnen.    JFM.    Collins.    

Cashman.    Mosley.    

Sherman.    Tartt.     Maye.     Poole.    Hall.    

Now we have the versatility at every level to deploy a 4-2-5, 3-3-5, 3-2-6, or any sort of passing sub-package. That's a complete face lift right there with just 3 additions - two free agents that are direct transplants from SF, which is not an unreasonable prediction, and one draft pick. We still have plenty of draft capital and cap space to attack the offensive side of the ball and even further help the defense. Even though you're not worried about our LB's, I still am after looking at this projected lineup. It's hard to trust Mosley and Cashman honestly. If you replace Collins with Micah Parsons this defense gets even better. Parsons is someone I think we need to seriously prepare ourselves for as a real possibility if we trade down to 4 or because he's an absolutely a perfect fit for this defense. Either way, with the right moves we can reshape this side of the ball rather quickly. The good thing for us is that while the wide-9 relies heavily on interior DL, we actually have the horses we need there. Keep building inside-out, it'll pay off.

Listen I get it the LB aren't great but that is down my list of priorities.  I think CB and pass rusher should be higher.  We have a ton a cap so I'm not opposed to grabbing a guy on a prove it deal I just don't think spending a valuable pick on an ILB is ideal.  We just went down that road with Mac.

I think look to add some speed just in rounds 4 and beyond.  We likely will as you said grab a guy in FA too on a valuable contract.

Can't fix every hole on one year.

I love the idea of bringing Sherman here. Yeah, the calf/Achilles ruined his 2020 campaign but he was still extremely good in 2019. 

I would imagine there could be some big names joining this team if we were to land someone like Watson. 

Edited by Jag68Sid87