Best QB prospects that weren't “generational”?

pwny

On 1/25/2021 at 1:50 PM, MikeT14 said:
On 1/23/2021 at 6:22 PM, Danger said:

Michael Vick arguably was in this conversation as "Generational" But for different reasons. He was kinda small at 6'0 ish but his other measurables were of the charts.

Yeah, I'd honestly throw Vick in the generational category.

The more I think about it, the more I think generational fits for Vick too. But as Danger alluded to, it was more a generational talent than a generational “QB prospect” if that makes sense. We had never seen anything like him before, and the assumption was that if someone figured out how to scheme with him, they were going to get a player nobody could gameplan for. From what I remember, it was viewed that he wasn’t going to be a truly top end passer, but that was viewed as something that might not matter if you could maximize his athletic ability, because he’d still win you football games.

And really for the most part, when it came to the regular season at least, he was able to turn that athletic ability into wins. 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2021 at 12:58 PM, Kmart128 said:

Probably Patrick Mahomes 1st round talent with an amazing arm but he wasnt seen as a generational prospect. No idea why... on tape he has everything you look for.

Air Raid offense, not a lot of pro concepts, and a lot of players running wide open. Not sure how that translates. Mahomes said himself he didn’t know how to read defenses until halfway through 2019.

Plenty of physically talented QBs bust, Mahomes is one of the few that actually proved the “has all the tools but if he became a student of the game, he’d be special” mantra.