Best QB prospects that weren't “generational”?

pwny

(Granted I lived in Virginia at the time) but Michael Vick was HUGE. People who never even watched football, college or pros, were excited and new of Michael Vick. His hype was so huge that people were interested in his mediocre little brother Marcus

21 hours ago, Jaguarfan said:

I think that this misses the point of the question..........unless you had some seriously impressive foresight.

I think Palmer fits in this tier for sure. Others:

Burrow 

Winston (his hype train slowed a bit over time but at one point he looked like he was going to be the next Luck-tier prospect to many.......though I'll note that I personally wasn't a fan)

Jamarcus Russell (overhyped due to his arm talent but his arm talent was undoubtedly impressive)

Bradford

Pre-injury Tua

and, at least for me personally (and this will be a somewhat hot take):

Carson Wentz. Thought he was a borderline perfect prospect whose biggest knock was his level of competition. He had a few minor mechanics issues to clean up, but he was otherwise extremely impressive.

An even hotter take that I have is that he's probably the closest prospect comparison I have for TLaw. I think Lawrence is a similar prospect except more polished mechanically and obviously the level of competition concerns aren't there. 

Unfortunately for J. Russell all of his talents were from the neck down...

On 1/24/2021 at 9:17 AM, Malik said:

(Granted I lived in Virginia at the time) but Michael Vick was HUGE. People who never even watched football, college or pros, were excited and new of Michael Vick. His hype was so huge that people were interested in his mediocre little brother Marcus

There was enough doubt about Vick that the team with the first pick moved down. That just doesn't happen when there is a true generational-talent level prospect available. His athleticism and arm strength were unbelievable, but the skepticism on his actual potential as a QB turned out to be warranted.

On 1/23/2021 at 7:22 PM, Danger said:

Michael Vick arguably was in this conversation as "Generational" But for different reasons. He was kinda small at 6'0 ish but his other measurables were of the charts.

Yeah, I'd honestly throw Vick in the generational category.

Matt Stafford - #6 college, #1 overall NFL

49 minutes ago, WideRight said:

There was enough doubt about Vick that the team with the first pick moved down. That just doesn't happen when there is a true generational-talent level prospect available.

It wasn't for a lack of trying. The Chargers and Vick couldn't come to a contract agreement if I recall. Ryan Leaf had left a bad taste.

2 hours ago, -Hope- said:

stafford definitely comes to mind. not "generational" but an unquestioned #1 pick who was viewed as pretty much having the total package.

Stafford would be my answer. Without using hindsight he was the QB that was viewed as the clear #1 pick but didn't get the love of someone like Luck, Elway, Manning, etc. I viewed him in that light however. I am about to be 30 so he was one of the first guys I really "scouted" and I thought he had all the tools. I didn't think you could ask for much more in a QB prospect. 

4 hours ago, -Hope- said:

stafford definitely comes to mind. not "generational" but an unquestioned #1 pick who was viewed as pretty much having the total package.

That was my first thought. I think Stafford was as close to a "generational" pick as it got without being hailed as a first ballot HoF'er before he played a down.

10 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Who were FF's picks?

Bridgewater has to be up there.
Goff was a favorite.
Darnold was well received.
Wentz would be up there.

Bridgewater was the highest I’ve graded a QB that wasn’t Luck or Lawrence. I was on record saying his absolute floor was Dalton. Turns out that was his ceiling as well.