Best QB prospects that weren't “generational”?

pwny

So the general consensus is that the generational QB prospects have been John Elway, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck, and now Trevor Lawrence. If you disagree with this list, that's fine. Not here to start a war over which of these belong here.

I'm interested in who everyone views as the best prospects that didn't get this level of hype. Sam Bradford? Michael Vick? RGIII? Eli? Drew Bledsoe? Jeff George? Carson Palmer? David Carr?

9 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Pat Maholmes
Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Russell Wilson

I think that this misses the point of the question..........unless you had some seriously impressive foresight.

I think Palmer fits in this tier for sure. Others:

Burrow 

Winston (his hype train slowed a bit over time but at one point he looked like he was going to be the next Luck-tier prospect to many.......though I'll note that I personally wasn't a fan)

Jamarcus Russell (overhyped due to his arm talent but his arm talent was undoubtedly impressive)

Bradford

Pre-injury Tua

and, at least for me personally (and this will be a somewhat hot take):

Carson Wentz. Thought he was a borderline perfect prospect whose biggest knock was his level of competition. He had a few minor mechanics issues to clean up, but he was otherwise extremely impressive.

An even hotter take that I have is that he's probably the closest prospect comparison I have for TLaw. I think Lawrence is a similar prospect except more polished mechanically and obviously the level of competition concerns aren't there. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Are we talking about them as prospects?  Or guys who were considered good prospects, but vastly outproduced expectations?

The best as prospects.

Any suggestions for changing the thread title to be less confusing?

11 minutes ago, pwny said:

The best as prospects.

Any suggestions for changing the thread title to be less confusing?

I'm not sure the thread title is the issue.  I think it's just the nature of the question.  I wanted to make sure I was understanding the question correctly.

EDIT: Maybe "Best QB prospects that weren't generational prospects?"

• Like 1

Michael Vick arguably was in this conversation as "Generational" But for different reasons. He was kinda small at 6'0 ish but his other measurables were of the charts.

IMO

Alex Smith, Sam Bradford, Matthew Stafford, and Marcus Mariota would be these guys.

• Like 2

Robert Griffin III comes to mind. As a prospect, people were salivating over his athletic ability and lively arm.

Cam Newton is also one that comes up. He was a mutant physically, had 4.5 speed to go with a 6' 6" 250 frame and an unbelievable arm to go with it. He also had that "he's a winner" tag, taking Auburn to a NC his only year as a starter.

Sam Bradford and Sam Darnold were getting a lot of hype as "Pro Ready" as was Josh Rosen...

• Like 1