Rank the Super Bowl winning coaches

biggie.

Note: This list will change a few times.

01. Bill Belichick
02. Vince Lombardi
03. Bill Walsh
04. Joe Gibbs
05. Chuck Noll
06. Tom Landry
07. John Madden
08. Bill Parcells
09. Jimmy Johnson
10. Don Shula
11. Andy Reid
12. Sean Payton
13. Pete Carroll
14. Hank Stram
15. Mike Holmgren
16. **** Vermeil
17. Bill Cowher
18. Tony Dungy
19. Mike Tomlin
20. Mike Shanahan
21. John Harbaugh
22. George Seifert
23. Mike McCarthy

24. Mike Ditka - Gets a lot of flak for not winning more Super Bowls with a legendary defense (a valid point), but I will credit him for keeping Chicago as one of the NFC powers during the 80's after Buddy Ryan left.

25. Tom Coughlin

26. Tom Flores

27. Jon Gruden - Like Billick, Gruden never developed an offense and Tampa was mediocre at best after their Super Bowl win.

28. Doug Pederson - Everything completely crashed and burned after his Super Bowl victory. Each passing season it's more aplarent his All-Star crew of assistants won it.

29. Brian Billick - Baltimore fell into inconsistent mediocrity after their Super Bowl win. Never developed an offense and rode the coattails of Marvin Lewis, Rex Ryan and Ray Lewis.

30. Gary Kubiak - 2015 Denver's success is more accreddited to Wade Phillips and John Elway's aggressive free agency.

31. Barry Switzer - As Jerry Jones said, anyone could have won a Super Bowl with that roster.

32. Weeb Ewbank - Most of his glory days were in the pre-Super Bowl days. He had a losing record as the Jets head coach.

33. Don McCafferty - Had a short career as a head coach and won with Shula's team.

Edited by biggie.

35 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

Why Walsh over Gibbs if you don’t mind asking?

One of the big architects of SF's dynasty and probably would have won as much if not more than Seifert.

When people think of the SF dybasty, they think Montana/Young and Walsh.

Edited by biggie.

13 minutes ago, biggie. said:

One of the big architects of SF's dynasty and probably would have won as much if not more than Seifert.

When people think of the SF dybasty, they think Montana/Young and Walsh.

Yeah but Gibbs won 3 superbowls with 3 different Qbs and none of them were joe Montana.

Switzer is always obscenely underrated in lists like this. That's because the sports media and the typical sports fan is totally clueless regarding situational variance. I was betting sports in Las Vegas at the time and the sharp guys were raving about what Switzer accomplished in 1995. He became only the second coach in pro football history to win the championship one year after the team was dethroned as champion. That is historically an awful scenario with one flop season after another. Prior to Switzer, only George Halas in the early '40s with the Bears had ever regained the championship one year after being dethroned. Subsequent to Switzer, Belichick has managed it multiple times. But those remain the only three coaches in NFL history with that on the resume. The trend is so strong it never happened during the decade of the AFL either.

Pure incompetence by the mainstream media that this angle is never mentioned. But the betting realm is all about situational impact because it completely overwhelms fundamental handicapping.

On 1/31/2021 at 7:17 AM, biggie. said:

Walsh built SF's dynasty and would have won more Super Bowls had he chosen to stay. I don't think it's fair to knock against him for winning with Montana when he was the one who drafted him. I just think Walsh was the better coach than Gibbs.

Not really sure what Walsh could have done that Seifert did not. The Cowboys/Redskins/Packers teams from 91-97 were just insanely good.

Seifert still won 2 SB's. I'm not sure Walsh would have won more than that.

The more time has gone forward, the more credit Gibbs deserves I think. Walsh probably gets seated higher due to winning three in one decade within 10 years. Gibbs got to 4, winning 3 in 12 all with three different quarterbacks. The WCO and coaching tree probably propel Walsh at a higher spot, but as far as just winning games and championships, I'd probably rank them the same. Walsh had Montana and some good players, but he put those rosters together. Not sure why that should be held against him. It would be like holding Brady against Belichick, who should have taken him in the first round in hindsight.