The Chess Thread

MKnight82

Anyone still playing? My 9 yr old has shown an interest so I’ve been teaching him a few weeks. I’m mid myself. I’ve only lost to two people in person in my life but seem to get embarrassed against people and cpu bots on the chess app. 

ty21a if anyone wants to play. 

13 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Anyone still playing? My 9 yr old has shown an interest so I’ve been teaching him a few weeks. I’m mid myself. I’ve only lost to two people in person in my life but seem to get embarrassed against people and cpu bots on the chess app. 

ty21a if anyone wants to play. 

I play on chess.com app on my phone if you want to play sometime. 

Took me 18 tries to beat that Deadpool bot on the Chess.com app. He was only rated 1300 but the dude was playing flawless games against me. I've beaten 1600 bots in the past without this much trouble. Now I'm working on the Wonder Women. I'm in the 1300's on daily if anyone wants to play send a PM. Don't want to post my username on here cause it's my real last name. 

• 2 months later...

I’m only paying attention to the chess World Cup for Magnus Carlsen since he’s never won it. Was also watching Hikaru. Carlsen just played a perfect game to move on from the Ukrainian chess player. Totally dominant 

I've never really got the appeal of Chess.  It feels so...limiting.  It basically discourages lateral or unconventional thinking.

It's just applying a bunch of rigid set principles and calculating from there.  When i play, i generally just get bored immediately and start moving pieces around because who cares.  Maybe something funny will happen.

It's always touted as this epitome of "strategic thinking".  But in reality, the best strategic thinkers are people who are actually able to think outside of the rigid patterns and conceive of completely different alternatives.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2023 at 7:06 PM, Malfatron said:

Chinese chess is more fun

Chess feels too rote 

Family rule dictates that undetected cheating is not only permissible but encouraged. 

Makes any game unrote. 

*If you are caught, punishments will be dished out as if the previous rule doesn’t exist.*

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Dome said:

Family rule dictates that undetected cheating is not only permissible but encouraged. 

Makes any game unrote. 

*If you are caught, punishments will be dished out as if the previous rule doesn’t exist.*

You’re one of those chess players that cheats with a vibrating Bluetooth buttplug aren’t you