What are you thinking about?

pwny

On 9/15/2023 at 12:37 PM, Forge said:

Got bored, bought a laptop. Have no idea why I spend money on gaming laptops when I really don't play games on the computer at all, but I will say, this thing feels crazy well built and sturdy lol 

Usually I'm a 13in, 2 pound notebook type guy 

I've been thinking it's round abouts time to update my **** around laptop.  My old one is getting super old and the chipset isn't even compatible with Windows 11 for some reason so lol.  Was thinking that's probably gonna be a Christmas/Birthday thing for me this year.  Time has come.  Even though i barely use it, it's nice to have.

My "getting **** done" laptop is a ******* brick though.  It owns.  I think it's like 7lbs+ and made of metal or something.  Lotta people use "gaming laptops" but they all feel so cheap and flimsy to me.  Especially the keyboards.

Defs starting to look at some nice thin little beauties for that other gig though.  Probably just end up getting some Dell XPS because Dell's always been kinda good to me and i usually like the way their keyboards and trackpads feel.

On 9/15/2023 at 12:57 PM, Heimdallr said:

I finally perfected my iced coffee recipe:

Aeropress XL

45 grams light/medium roast coffee - slightly coarser than espresso grind

400 grams of boiling water

5 minute brew time

poured over 200 grams of ice

What kind of unholy science experiment is this?

Also...does it not just melt the ice and become...lukewarm watery coffee?

On 9/17/2023 at 6:07 PM, Dome said:

He’s wrong 

idk if Neil Degrasse Tyson is wrong on this, technically...but that man can suck the joy out of literally anything.  So it kinda sounds right.

As an unrelated thought...ya'll ever go for a drive at night and roll the windows down...this cool night air is curious...

And end up with that **** stuck in your head, trying to quietly sing that song out.  But it sounds so ******* awkward without backing, and you kinda have to screech the ~*roooooollllllllllllll the*~ to make it even work at all?

6 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Depends on the amount of ice. Too little and it just waters your coffee down a bit and becomes lukewarm. 

What's the golden ratio to make it work?

I don't even really brew my own coffee 'cause i don't drink it often enough to bother really.  I'm more into tea.  But making iced tea...i don't just dump hot tea over ice and call it good.  I brew the tea hard, add some lemon and a dash of sugar and then chill the heck out of it in a pitcher.  Then pour it over ice later for drinking.

But my tea connect is all ****ted out right now, so that's annoying.  All they've got is like some bull**** "Pumpkin Earl Grey" and "Lavender Earl Grey" like i want to fall asleep when i drink my morning tea.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

Thinking about all the times pre-covid I went into work on public transit with cold/fever/sickness and hacked, coughed, sniffled all day at my desk, and how much of a POS that made me. Hopefully in the post-covid times we can all be better than that. 

My girlfriend called out on Tuesday because she felt awful, and while she tested negative, her boss asked her to stay home until symptom-free.  She can do all of her work remote (why they have an office, I don’t know.)  

I hope that also continues from a workplace perspective.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

What's the golden ratio to make it work?

That doesn’t matter so much, if you don’t add enough and it melts, just add more. But I’m sure heimdallr can tell you down to the gram what your science coffee needs. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I've been thinking it's round abouts time to update my **** around laptop.  My old one is getting super old and the chipset isn't even compatible with Windows 11 for some reason so lol.  Was thinking that's probably gonna be a Christmas/Birthday thing for me this year.  Time has come.  Even though i barely use it, it's nice to have.

My "getting **** done" laptop is a ******* brick though.  It owns.  I think it's like 7lbs+ and made of metal or something.  Lotta people use "gaming laptops" but they all feel so cheap and flimsy to me.  Especially the keyboards.

Defs starting to look at some nice thin little beauties for that other gig though.  Probably just end up getting some Dell XPS because Dell's always been kinda good to me and i usually like the way their keyboards and trackpads feel.

What kind of unholy science experiment is this?

Also...does it not just melt the ice and become...lukewarm watery coffee?

idk if Neil Degrasse Tyson is wrong on this, technically...but that man can suck the joy out of literally anything.  So it kinda sounds right.

I really did like my MSI gaming laptop I got maybe 5 years ago stock from Amazon.  It feels sturdy, and unlike my previous gaming laptop, the keyboard did feel pretty responsive.  

I did cut down on my devices though right after the initial Covid stuff.  I got an iPad Pro with the full keyboard which functions as my laptop, and I use a Mac Mini as a “desktop” and have it running through the same monitor I use for the gaming laptop.  I rarely use the Mac Mini.  

We had an XPS used for work stuff that lasted 12 years, so if you’re feeling that, go for it.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

My girlfriend called out on Tuesday because she felt awful, and while she tested negative, her boss asked her to stay home until symptom-free.  She can do all of her work remote (why they have an office, I don’t know.)  

I hope that also continues from a workplace perspective.  

There was such a nice period where people took illness and hygiene seriously.  I didn't get sick...at all?  Except for actually getting covid.  But other than that, it was great.

2 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

https://www.history.com/news/what-if-the-moon-landing-had-failed

“Richard Nixon had a speech prepared to announce to the American public that it had been a one way trip” 

And as we know, he cannot tell a lie.

Random blurb, but I find it highly ridiculous, borderline insulting to the average human's intelligence even that states and developed countries are still locking people up for finding an ounce of weed on them in the year 2023. I have yet to find a single article anywhere of anyone dying from a reefer overdose yet the DEA and big pharma want to tell you it's as bad or even worse than meth, heroine and cocaine or shyt I can buy legally, which it's not.

10 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I really did like my MSI gaming laptop I got maybe 5 years ago stock from Amazon.  It feels sturdy, and unlike my previous gaming laptop, the keyboard did feel pretty responsive.  

I did cut down on my devices though right after the initial Covid stuff.  I got an iPad Pro with the full keyboard which functions as my laptop, and I use a Mac Mini as a “desktop” and have it running through the same monitor I use for the gaming laptop.  I rarely use the Mac Mini.  

We had an XPS used for work stuff that lasted 12 years, so if you’re feeling that, go for it.  

I'm a pretty "heavy handed" typist, so i'm kind of picky about the weighting and feel of a keyboard and how solid the whole apparatus feels.  I like lots of travel and solidity.  Like...My dad swears by ASUS keyboards because they suit him well, but they always feel weirdly offset and way too light and flimsy to me.  It's all just personal preference really.

Lots of people i know have gone with those MSI laptops, but they still just don't feel as solid and beefy to me.  Also seem a little bit less reliable and stable with certain things.  Kinda hate the way most "gaming laptops" look too.  "Look at me look at me!!!"  lol.  But it really is just down to personal preference.  The MSI ones are definitely toward the more subtle end of things.

My srs beans laptop is a big ol' Dell Precision "mobile workstation" and it's pretty dope for what it is and what i need it to be.  Got basically the pinnacle of certified i7s with real good cooling, a billion rams and beefy non-gaming oriented graphics hardware.  Really upgradeable too for future-proofing.  I'll probably have it for ages and do just fine.  But it's not like a...haul around in your bag all day and do a lil FF ****posting sort of machine.  Pretty sure the power adaptor alone weighs a couple pounds. lol.

I've been kind of mulling over exactly what i even want in my other laptop though.  To replace the ****ty old Inspiron flippy touchy book i've had for...idk more than half a dozen years now.  Still works fine, but the battery is starting to go to crap and it really is just starting to show it's age.  It's a bit too limited.  But i've had good luck with Dell products outliving their actual useful computing life.

Definitely been considering what you did, just moving to a tablet for that sort of stuff.  I mean, i've got a powerhouse laptop for serious work, and a robust desktop that i use the majority of the time anyway.  Just seems like a big leap.  Still kinda want a nice super portable little laptop computer.

I've got time to figure it out though.  Just starting the process.  Hopefully final review is in by End of Year.

11 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

Random blurb, but I find it highly ridiculous, borderline insulting to the average human's intelligence even that states and developed countries are still locking people up for finding an ounce of weed on them in the year 2023. I have yet to find a single article anywhere of anyone dying from a reefer overdose yet the DEA and big pharma want to tell you it's as bad or even worse than meth, heroine and cocaine or shyt I can buy legally, which it's not.

I generally agree with thinking this is insane.  But as a resident of a country where it's legal for 18 year olds to buy and smoke it recreationally...i've seen more than a few very clearly impaired drivers roll up to dispensaries that make me question the whole thing.  Until i remember...these people would be driving while high either way.  So...**** it.

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I’ve now calmed down and enjoying working from home while smoking a pork butt and drinking my coffee, probably going to listen to my audio Bible here soon.

But on my immediate to do list, reading an article entitled “Your guide to pay and benefits during a shutdown”. @minutemancl my guy, Vegas odds have us at a 60% chance of a shutdown come EOFY (End of Fiscal Year to you non government types). You think it’s going to happen?

At least Congress no longer has to vote on back pay.

Nah. They almost always come to some sort of agreement. I also am lucky to be in a branch that isn't affected by shutdowns, so selfishly I'm not worried about it. I'm more excited for the between 5.2% and 8% raise we are going to get soon. 🤑

How's the new job going btw? You liking it as much as you hoped?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Nah. They almost always come to some sort of agreement. I also am lucky to be in a branch that isn't affected by shutdowns, so selfishly I'm not worried about it. I'm more excited for the between 5.2% and 8% raise we are going to get soon. 🤑

How's the new job going btw? You liking it as much as you hoped?

So far, I’ve come to a few conclusions:

1. I don’t need to be fulfilled in my job. Don’t get me wrong, I’m good doing it, but the mission, culture, support, team, perks, and work life family balance is what makes this job awesome.

2. My body composition is better. My sleep is better. My resting HR is down 10-12 bpm. No job is perfect, but it’s been a major blessing so far.

3. My wife told her friends that I’m happier, I’m more patient, I’m more “present”, and was bragging on me for doing laundry, cleaning the house, etc when I telework. Currently I’m working while smoking a pork butt for dinner.

I say none of that to boast, it’s just nice to get confirmation about making the right decision. I’m taking a $30K pay cut this year, and its the best decision I’ve made professionally.

• Like 2