Stand by Me Standings

vike daddy

58 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i've started a thread in the Philly forum (a very active one) about who's going to get the #1 seed. let's join in the discussion with them there:

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/4991-the-race-to-the-1-seed/

heads up on venturing in to the Carolina forum this week (a very dead one). i made some posts, got attacked, and won't be going back. no need for me to support that kind of "dialogue."

Seemed like you hurt someone's feelings by trying to start a conversation. I'd rather have engaging discourse with another teams fan base rather than what that dude had to say... Oh well...

Week 13 power rankings

1. Patriots (10-2; last week No. 2): They’re back. And likely to stay.

2. Steelers (10-2; No. 3): Based on how they’re barely beating so-so teams, that “elephant in the room” is probably going to sit on their heads.

3. Vikings (10-2; No. 4): When does “win one more and we’ll believe” finally become “OK, we believe”?

4. Eagles (10-2; No. 1): Fly, Eagles, fly. Right in to a Wolf Grey window.

5. Rams (9-3; No. 5): Bruce Arians is going to be eating his words every time he ever plays the Rams, ever again.

6. Saints (9-3; No. 6): With two games against Atlanta in December, the Saints have a chance to ensure that they won’t have to face the Falcons in January.

7. Seahawks (8-4; No. 10): Currently, they’re the most likely Super Bowl candidate that no one seems to be paying attention to.

8.  Titans (8-4; No. 11): They win they games they should win, and they lose the games they should lose.

9. Jaguars (8-4; No. 9): They lose some of the games they should win, but they can win some of the games they should lose.

10. Panthers (8-4; No. 7): Carolina needs to figure out what Mike Zimmer has done to figure out Cam Newton, if the Panthers hope to figure out how to stay in the playoff chase.

11. Ravens (7-5; No. 12): The last team the Patriots or Steelers want to see in the playoffs is closer and closer to getting there.

12. Chargers (6-6; No. 13): The next-to-last team the Patriots or Steelers want to see in the playoffs is closer and closer to getting there.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/05/week-13-power-rankings-7/

not sure why the Steelers moved up a notch, but power rankings mean nothing anyway.

51 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

not sure why the Steelers moved up a notch, but power rankings mean nothing anyway.

Not nearly as ridiculous as the ESPN poll, which had the Steelers dropping to 5th, despite winning on the road against a divisional foe (which is always difficult).  Ironically enough, in my personal power poll, I have the same exact order of the top 7 as the PFT poll.  I actually had the Patriots often below the Vikings at #4, but with their blowout victory in Buffalo, I leapt them over everyone, Vikings included.  My 8-10 teams are the same teams, but a different order (I have it Jax, Carolina, then Tennessee) and then I end the top 12 with Baltimore and Atlanta.  

Eagles have to win vs the Rams this week period to have any realistic chance at the #1 seed. In fact the only loss they could possibly take moving forward would be against the AFCW Raiders regardless of the Vikings losing. Otherwise any 13-3 type Tie breaker would not go in Eagles favor because of the H2H common opponent (LAR). Conference records vs NFC Opponent would also come into play if the Eagles beat LA but lost to NYG or Dallas instead. Vikings would have to end up 12-4 in that scenario.

4 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Eagles have to win vs the Rams this week period to have any realistic chance at the #1 seed. In fact the only loss they could possibly take moving forward would be against the AFCW Raiders regardless of the Vikings losing. Otherwise any 13-3 type Tie breaker would not go in Eagles favor because of the H2H common opponent (LAR). Conference records vs NFC Opponent would also come into play if the Eagles beat LA but lost to NYG or Dallas instead. Vikings would have to end up 12-4 in that scenario.

We just need to take care of business on our end!

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

Common opponent record will still be in play, if Philly & Minny lost this week. Forcing us to just win vs Bears

Perched atop the conference for the first time all year, Minnesota embarks on its final true test of the regular season. After playing Carolina, the Vikings will not take on another team currently with a winning record. This presents a great opportunity for Case Keenum's horde of unlikely conquerors to create serious separation between themselves and the other home-field contenders.

Minnesota can lock up the NFC North title with a win, but the Vikings could also miss out on a first-round bye with a loss and wins from New Orleans and Los Angeles. Fine line.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000888838/article/nfc-playoff-picture-eaglesrams-heads-critical-week-14-slate

I think we still have a fairly difficult schedule ahead of us. The Panthers are of course going to be tough, but beyond that we still have some tests. Cincy may not have a winning record, but last weeks performance showed that they are dangerous (to the health of players possibly) while hanging with the steelers. They are projected as possibly the best team in the league who wont make the playoffs, so even though it's a home game, we can't write them off. The Packers away seems like it should be easy, and even with Rodgers they don't scare me, but it is an away game, in the winter, in Lambeau vs a divisional opponent. Same essentially goes for the Bears, who have beaten some really good teams this year despite having a garbage pile of a season. We struggled with them early in the year, and again, a divisional matchup is always more difficult.

The Vikes have ever opportunity to win out the rest of the year, and I think there is a strong possibility that they could, but I still think there is high potential for it to be more of a grind than some think.

20 minutes ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

I think we still have a fairly difficult schedule ahead of us. The Panthers are of course going to be tough, but beyond that we still have some tests. Cincy may not have a winning record, but last weeks performance showed that they are dangerous (to the health of players possibly) while hanging with the steelers. They are projected as possibly the best team in the league who wont make the playoffs, so even though it's a home game, we can't write them off. The Packers away seems like it should be easy, and even with Rodgers they don't scare me, but it is an away game, in the winter, in Lambeau vs a divisional opponent. Same essentially goes for the Bears, who have beaten some really good teams this year despite having a garbage pile of a season. We struggled with them early in the year, and again, a divisional matchup is always more difficult.

The Vikes have ever opportunity to win out the rest of the year, and I think there is a strong possibility that they could, but I still think there is high potential for it to be more of a grind than some think.

I fully expect it to be a grind, and do expect them to lose at least once (IMO, the Packers' game is actually the most likely), but I think they've shown the ability to survive the grind, so I won't put anything past them.  

"Per NFL Research, the 2017 Vikings' defense compares favorably to the 2015 Broncos in terms of scoring defense (17 points per game vs. 18.5), pass defense (211.4 yards per game vs. 199.6), third-down defense (27.2 percent vs. 35.2), red zone defense (38.7 percent vs. 59.5), and big plays allowed (3.6 per game vs. 4.6). As we all know, the Broncos put on a clinic in the 2015 postseason and shut down the league MVP Cam Newton and the Carolina Panthers in Super Bowl 50. With the similarities of that Broncos' unit and this year's Vikings, can Zimmer's defense lead Minnesota to its first-ever Lombardi Trophy?

The answer? No. I think the Vikings' defense can get them to the big game but isn't dominant enough to win it alone -- like the Broncos essentially did -- which leaves Minnesota's fate in the hands of Case Keenum."

Ike Taylor, former PITT cornerback and two time Super Bowl winner

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000889208/article/week-14-cornerback-rankings-vikings-d-similar-to-2015-broncos

Archived