Steelers sign QB Ben Roethlisberger to new contract

RaidersAreOne

22 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

cap hit for the year not dead cap. Next year will be 10.5 mil in dead cap with him not on the roster but still has a cap hit.

Well....the 10.5 next year isnt a big deal.   It wont really affect much with Ben off the books and a likely major jump in the salary cap.  

Edited by 43M

8 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

That's true.  They probably wouldn't go all the way to #6, but if one of them falls past the top 12 or so, they could make a move.  For example, Chris Simms listed his Top 6 quarterbacks and he has Justin Fields and Trey Lance has his fifth and sixth quarterbacks.  That sounds kind of crazy, I know, (he also has Wilson #1 and Lawrence #2) but it just goes to show that there could be a guy there that the Steelers might want to go after.  It's a pretty crazy market for quarterbacks this year.

A. Not going to happen

B. Chris Simms is an idiot

C. (he also has Wilson #1 and Lawrence #2) did I mention Chris Simms is an idiot

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 43M said:

Well....the 10.5 next year isnt a big deal.   It wont really affect much with Ben off the books and a likely major jump in the salary cap.  

It is when you can look at it that the 19 mil in savings this year to just let Ben go could have been applied to new deals for guys this year and next year along with extensions. Keep in Mind Watt is on his 5th year and Fitzpatrick is on his last year of his deal. Along with guys like Edmunds and Bush coming up around the same time. All 4 will likely need extensions and Watt is likely going to land Bosa/Mack type deals in which 140 mil will be the starting price for him. So having 26 mil in cap this year and 10.5 next year may not seem like a huge deal but it could have been better utilized for the future of that franchise in which they arent always having to create cap space every year. Now the Steelers have enough to sign the draftees but thats all they can afford with out anymore restructures or cuts. So guys like Juju, Villanueva, Dupree Hilton will all likely be on a new team next year.

25 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

A. Not going to happen

B. Chris Simms is an idiot

C. (he also has Wilson #1 and Lawrence #2) did I mention Chris Simms is an idiot

It sounds like a pretty crazy take to me too, Super D.  I'm just hoping the Jets believe every word he says and decide they want to give the Jaguars a couple of first round picks to move up to #1 so they can grab Zach Wilson.  :)