Steelers sign QB Ben Roethlisberger to new contract

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, JiffyJag said:

They would have a worse season if Ben retired and they took a shot on Rudolph/Haskins, but this pretty much confirms that they will only tread water/exit in the divisional round at best again. Time to start looking at 2022 QBs if you're a Steelers fan.

This is basically my take

Why go through all of these motions to strive to win 9 games?

4 minutes ago, JiffyJag said:

They would have a worse season if Ben retired and they took a shot on Rudolph/Haskins, but this pretty much confirms that they will only tread water/exit in the divisional round at best again. Time to start looking at 2022 QBs if you're a Steelers fan.

Yes but having a worse season would actually put them in a better position to win in 2022. Now lets say ben does enough to get them to tread water to 8-8 or better now you have no shot at a top pick in order to land the qb of the future and you are right where you left off in 2020-2021 post season. Dont get the move as you just pushed more dead cap in to next year knowing that Ben isnt capable of winning you a championship at his age.

3 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

This is basically my take

Why go through all of these motions to strive to win 9 games?

They don't want to tank maybe? Also, our defense and skill guys are good enough to win 8 games with Duck Hodges and a brain scrambled Mason Rudolph. May as well run it back and try. 

Just now, soflbillsfan said:

Yes but having a worse season would actually put them in a better position to win in 2022. Now lets say ben does enough to get them to tread water to 8-8 or better now you have no shot at a top pick in order to land the qb of the future and you are right where you left off in 2020-2021 post season. Dont get the move as you just pushed more dead cap in to next year knowing that Ben isnt capable of winning you a championship at his age.

........yeah that's what I was saying. Agreed.

Just now, MOSteelers56 said:

They don't want to tank maybe? Also, our defense and skill guys are good enough to win 8 games with Duck Hodges and a brain scrambled Mason Rudolph. May as well run it back and try. 

It isn't tanking, it's setting yourself up better for the future. If Ben retired, the team could begin trying to find their QB of the future. That is now delayed for another year. 

1 minute ago, JiffyJag said:

It isn't tanking, it's setting yourself up better for the future. If Ben retired, the team could begin trying to find their QB of the future. That is now delayed for another year. 

I honestly don't see a lot of difference in any option they had. We aren't going to be bad enough to draft a good QB regardless of who is starting at QB for us this year. If we moved on from Ben we would have saved an extra $4M. Not really enough to go for it. 

2 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

You're going to lose most of Pouncey, Juju, Conner, Dupree, Villanueva, Alualu, Mike Hilton, Joe Haden -- and I'm not sure what talent you will have the cap to add

I just don't see how that team, with a declining Ben OR with a Rudolph, manages to be a real contender

4 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

You're going to lose most of Pouncey, Juju, Conner, Dupree, Villanueva, Alualu, Mike Hilton, Joe Haden -- and I'm not sure what talent you will have the cap to add

I just don't see how that team, with a declining Ben OR with a Rudolph, manages to be a real contender

I don't think we're going to lose all those players, and the ones we do lose we have replacements for. 

And I'm not arguing the second point. I don't see us as SB contenders in any way. If there is even a miniscule chance to win it all, it's with Ben, though.

3 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I don't think we're going to lose all those players, and the ones we do lose we have replacements for. 

And I'm not arguing the second point. I don't see us as SB contenders in any way. If there is even a miniscule chance to win it all, it's with Ben, though.

That's kind of why if I were Pitt, I would go into full meltdown mode and hope to get an elite QB in the draft next year. But if Ben wants to stay with you, ya gotta keep him. He's earned that.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, August4th said:

Steelers dealt a 1st round pick right after they found out Ben was out for the yr and a 0-2 start. I think they're always in a win now and retool on the go mindset.

I get it, but they're going to have to get really lucky finding a QB if they have no cap space and are still winning 6-9 games a year. The good news is, that whatever QB is next, he'll have a solid team and a great organization around him. You'll have a legit chance to scout him early, as it won't be "rookie savior & bum squad" out there.

19 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I honestly don't see a lot of difference in any option they had. We aren't going to be bad enough to draft a good QB regardless of who is starting at QB for us this year. If we moved on from Ben we would have saved an extra $4M. Not really enough to go for it. 

By letting Ben walk you would have saved 19 mil not 4 mil as he had a roster bonus of 15 mil which now will likely be pushed for 2022 with his new deal. You still have a major cap hit this year and now with his deal likely 10+ mil in dead cap next year. Ben's cap hit will be over 20 mil because steelers are still facing the issues of his previous signing bonus in which they have to be stuck with. You have several key players leaving in free agency and you have a couple of massive decisions in Fitzpatrick and Watt that will eat up a bit of your future cap too as they are going on their last year of the rookie deal. 

36 minutes ago, JiffyJag said:

What’s stopping them from doing it this year?