Steelers sign QB Ben Roethlisberger to new contract

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

According to Spotrac's update contract Steelers will have a 26 mil dead cap this year for Ben and 10.5 mil dead cap next year on this move. Kicking that can down the road one more year. 

How is it dead cap if he is still on the team?

1 minute ago, NudeTayne said:

Did you see him toward the end of the year?

He sucked, yes....but so did our OC and receivers, and we had zero running game.

I have no special love for Ben, and wouldve preferred we moved on....but not because I think we could upgrade from Ben this year.    We would either be starting Mason Rudolph, a developmental rookie or a low end FA QB if Ben wasnt retained.

Ben sucked....and alot of it was just time catching up....but he played pretty solid early on until we went almost exclusively to a bland, predictable short passing game.    If we open things up more and run the ball even decently....he still wont be what he was, but he wont be quite as bad as he was towards the end of 2020.

• Like 1

I think Ben would have retired if it weren’t for the embarrassing final performance. I don’t think he wanted to go out getting disemboweled by the Browns.

...but I think he’s done. I think he’s just gonna get worse and worse. He’s not like Brady or Brees. His body has been beaten to hell over time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blackstar12 said:

His arm isn’t going to magically get better. If they don’t have any sort of run game it’s going to be another longer season for him.

You are right about the running game, but his arm strength wasnt even a huge issue last year.  As the season went on, he had some problems, but he was passing way more than he should have been coming off a major elbow surgery....and it certainly doesn't help he is pushing 40.

Ben can still manage a game just fine....just gotta realize this isnt the same Ben from 10 years ago.   

10 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers made a surprise move up for a QB in this year's draft.  They are too well run to make the mistake of waiting too long to replace what is left of Roethlisberger. 

How? You don't just go from 24 to the top 10. Just to go to #10, they would have to trade their top 4 picks according to the conventional chart, or equivalent worth in players. To get to #6, the lowest slot where they would be guaranteed to get one of the top 4 QBs, their whole draft wouldn't do it.

Edited by Superduperman

So the quarterback everyone was sure would have the shortest career due to his playing style ended up out lasting both Ironmen Eli Manning and Philip Rivers. Ben has had a hell of a career and could retire now and make the Hall. However it looks like he wants at least one more attempt at that championship. 

6 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

TIL only Steelers fans have eyes to see.  Rivers looked WAYYYYYYYYYYYY better last year to these blind eyes.

I’d agree that Rivers looked better in 2020 but if the question is who has more left in the tank for 2021 it’s Ben. Rivers deserved to go out and that last injury just sealed the deal. 

2 hours ago, Superduperman said:

How? You don't just go from 24 to the top 10. Just to go to #10, they would have to trade their top 4 picks according to the conventional chart, or equivalent worth in players. To get to #6, the lowest slot where they would be guaranteed to get one of the top 4 QBs, their whole draft wouldn't do it.

That's true.  They probably wouldn't go all the way to #6, but if one of them falls past the top 12 or so, they could make a move.  For example, Chris Simms listed his Top 6 quarterbacks and he has Justin Fields and Trey Lance has his fifth and sixth quarterbacks.  That sounds kind of crazy, I know, (he also has Wilson #1 and Lawrence #2) but it just goes to show that there could be a guy there that the Steelers might want to go after.  It's a pretty crazy market for quarterbacks this year.

3 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

That's true.  They probably wouldn't go all the way to #6, but if one of them falls past the top 12 or so, they could make a move.  For example, Chris Simms listed his Top 6 quarterbacks and he has Justin Fields and Trey Lance has his fifth and sixth quarterbacks.  That sounds kind of crazy, I know, (he also has Wilson #1 and Lawrence #2) but it just goes to show that there could be a guy there that the Steelers might want to go after.  It's a pretty crazy market for quarterbacks this year.

In reality, Jones and Trask are probably the most likely to fall.   Mac Jones has already visited.   If one of them fail and the Steelers liked the enough, Im sure we would trade up.   The highest we would likely trade up is pick 14....or one pick ahead of the Patriots.   However, if the Patriots like a QB enough, they will be trading up themselves.

Decent chance all the good QBs are gone before pick 20.   And the the Steelers arent that high on a QB, they wont force a pick....nor should they.    

In all seriousness, as much as I've enjoyed my "crying Ben" days, I still think that if the Steelers are smart, they'll reload that offensive line and running game, and not ask Ben to throw it 600+ times again this year.

Their defense is still elite and was decimated with injuries, so if they have a good running attack and elite defense, and ask Ben to limit throwing the ball to a more reasonable 25 times or less per game (under 450 attempts on the 17 game schedule), then I think they will be able to run it back and be a viable contender again in 2021.

They need to seriously consider what their options will be down the road, and may want to look at acquiring a free agent/making a big trade in 2022, because in all likelihood, they'll be picking too low in the first to get a viable franchise QB, unless they catch lightning in a bottle.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers made a surprise move up for a QB in this year's draft.  They are too well run to make the mistake of waiting too long to replace what is left of Roethlisberger. 

The Steelers would have to give a boat load of picks and players to move high enough to get one of the top QBs in this draft.  

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

The Steelers would have to give a boat load of picks and players to move high enough to get one of the top QBs in this draft.  

I think it's more likely we move way up next year. We have a ton of cap space next year, and may have a boatload of comp picks. That is depending on what happens in FA this year obviously.