NBA Fantasy Draft - Discussion Thread - Draft Starts Noon EST on 3/14

MKnight82

16 hours ago, beekay414 said:

It's funny. You look at DRPM and he's positive but then look at DPBM and he's negative. I typically put more weight into BB-Ref's stuff but it's just interesting how they rate these guys defensively.

DBPM is simply BPM minus OBPM, it's not really an actual measure of defense.

• Like 1

Just now, 11sanchez11 said:

if bpm is dbpm + obpm

and we assume dbpm and obpm try to measure defense and offense

then then dbpm measures defense

That's a worthy assumption but it's incorrect. BPM seeks to identify on-court contribution using box score stats. It's useful for offensive production and thus OBPM has its own calculation. DBPM does not. It's literally whatever is left over. The index on BPM literally reads Look at the defensive values as a guide, but don't hesitate to discount them when a player is well known as a good or bad defender.

9 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

So it's just a measure of overall impact? Explain RPM for me now. 

BPM is a box score stat. DBPM is literally the leftovers of BPM-OBPM which is essentially stl% and blk% compared to league average.

RPM doesn't have its actual formula out to my knowledge but it's far more in depth, takes teammates/opponents/etc into account and is still a combination of box stats and plus/minus numbers. That's all rolled into one to see how one impacts team performance.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

BPM is a box score stat. DBPM is literally the leftovers of BPM-OBPM which is essentially stl% and blk% compared to league average.

RPM doesn't have its actual formula out to my knowledge but it's far more in depth, takes teammates/opponents/etc into account and is still a combination of box stats and plus/minus numbers. That's all rolled into one to see how one impacts team performance.

I've never really put much stock into RPM and just looking at it, apparently Khris Middleton is one of the worst defensive wings in the league. Sorry but any stat that has Doug McDermott as a massively better defensive player than Middleton just doesn't fly with me.

Also a stat that indicates Tyler Herro is a better defender than Ben Simmons haha. NSJS.

5 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I've never really put much stock into RPM and just looking at it, apparently Khris Middleton is one of the worst defensive wings in the league. Sorry but any stat that has Doug McDermott as a massively better defensive player than Middleton just doesn't fly with me.

Also a stat that indicates Tyler Herro is a better defender than Ben Simmons haha. NSJS.

The problem with RPM is that by factoring in teammates it skews things further. Like if Khris Middleton's backup comes in and performs as well as he does defensively or the team does fine without him defensively, they deem that as unimpactful. Plus over the course of one season it's a very noisy stat. 

• Like 1