FA QB's for 2018

jetfan8178

On 11/28/2017 at 4:01 PM, JetsandI said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000884604/article/arians-could-see-blaine-gabbert-as-starting-qb-in-2018

Do you believe him?

I googled up Kurt Warner and Steve Young.  Warner started NFL career at 27 and got recognized next year. Young become star at 31 and never slowed down until he retired.  Both are HOF.  Gabbert is up for that challenge.

Doesn't even have to be that good... look at Alex Smith, who was a colossal bust yet went on to become a solid starter in the league. Or even Josh McCown lol... crazier things have happened. 

I'm starting to get a feeling that the odds of us landing Kirk Cousins are rising due to the Eli Manning news. Eli is a perfect fit for Jacksonville, which would eliminate possibly the most attractive option off of Kirk's list. 

13 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Doesn't even have to be that good... look at Alex Smith, who was a colossal bust yet went on to become a solid starter in the league. Or even Josh McCown lol... crazier things have happened. 

I'm starting to get a feeling that the odds of us landing Kirk Cousins are rising due to the Eli Manning news. Eli is a perfect fit for Jacksonville, which would eliminate possibly the most attractive option off of Kirk's list. 

I always have thought we’d be right in the mix for Cousins. I think we’re an enticing team for him. No probably not as enticing as Jacksonville bc of the young core they’ve built, plus less taxes. But I do think we stand a shot at him.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I always have thought we’d be right in the mix for Cousins. I think we’re an enticing team for him. No probably not as enticing as Jacksonville bc of the young core they’ve built, plus less taxes. But I do think we stand a shot at him.

I started working on a piece that I'll publish soon regarding how if he is available (I ultimately think Washington will tag-and-trade him), we are one of a few landing spots that make a ton of sense. Between young core, market, financial flexibility, facility, prior interest, offensive scheme (assuming it remains) and the "new" culture we're seeking to instill, he's a perfect match. 

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

I started working on a piece that I'll publish soon regarding how if he is available (I ultimately think Washington will tag-and-trade him), we are one of a few landing spots that make a ton of sense. Between young core, market, financial flexibility, facility, prior interest, offensive scheme (assuming it remains) and the "new" culture we're seeking to instill, he's a perfect match. 

I do agree with this. And I’m not opposed to it at all.

6 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I do agree with this. And I’m not opposed to it at all.

I have been pushing for Josh Rosen since the beginning of the season, but our chance of getting him in the draft are slim and none. And I also think we have to go in another direction. If there is any chance of getting Kirk Cousins, I am on board. The only thing that will drive me over the edge if I hear Rodger Goodell say at the draft ( with the third pick in the draft the Giants select Josh Rosen ). My wife is Jewish and a Giant fan, so of course she wants Rosen on the Giants. I really can't believe some people on this board are coming up with all these scenarios how we could make the playoffs this year, we are not a playoff team yet. With the right picks in the draft, and getting a QB some how, next year we could very well be a strong playoff contender. But the big question is, can Mac make all the right moves, his history with the Jets so far hasn't shown that.

The good thing is since we have a hole at QB... we can go hard after Cousins or Bridgewater in FA (which is before the draft). If we can’t get either of them, then that’s when the FO has to decide what to do at QB. We won’t be bad enough time get Rosen or Darnold (if he declares). I don’t see a sure fire franchise QB outside of those 2 guys. She we trade up for Rosen or Darnold then, bc we missed out on our 2 franchise QBs in FA? Maybe. What I don’t want is to sign some average vet again and start them.

5 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

What do you think it would take to get Cousin? Think we could pull off something like 2 1st and a mid for Cousins and their 2018 1st?

I have no idea, but it will be very very expensive, I am sure you are right it will start with two first round picks + ????

49 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

What do you think it would take to get Cousin? Think we could pull off something like 2 1st and a mid for Cousins and their 2018 1st?

I don’t think even close to that. Washington has very little leverage. And whoever is trading for him has to use a ton of cap space on him, so Washington loses leverage for that too. And I think Cousins will require an annual salary right around 25mill/per.

15 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I don’t think even close to that. Washington has very little leverage. And whoever is trading for him has to use a ton of cap space on him, so Washington loses leverage for that too. And I think Cousins will require an annual salary right around 25mill/per.

That would be wonderful if you are right. That would give us a real shot to get him.

One thing to keep an eye on is if Teddy's injury will allow the Vikings to carry him at the 2017 salary in 2018. I've never heard about this rule, but, apparently, the new CBA allows teams to toll player injuries effectively extending a player for another year. 

https://scout.com/nfl/vikings/Article/CBA-language-could-force-Teddy-Bridgewaters-hand-on-contract-74908316

Earlier in the year, I would have been ok with trading a high pick and signing Cousins because a lot of these college QBs were under-performing. But most have found their footing. So, I prefer not to trade a high draft pick for Cousins. 

1 hour ago, Dr.O said:

Franchised player value at maximum is 2 1st round picks.  No more than that. Any business partner would know that.

59 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Maybe. Redskins will have about 50 something cap space next year. Murphy and Breeland's cap would be no more than 15m combination next year easily. Assuming you know how salary cap works.

Cousins- 35m

Breeland - 8m

Murphy - 7m

While it is not a good strategy for Redskins but it is doable.

12 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

One thing to keep an eye on is if Teddy's injury will allow the Vikings to carry him at the 2017 salary in 2018. I've never heard about this rule, but, apparently, the new CBA allows teams to toll player injuries effectively extending a player for another year. 

https://scout.com/nfl/vikings/Article/CBA-language-could-force-Teddy-Bridgewaters-hand-on-contract-74908316

Earlier in the year, I would have been ok with trading a high pick and signing Cousins because a lot of these college QBs were under-performing. But most have found their footing. So, I prefer not to trade a high draft pick for Cousins. 

Interesting.  However, Bridgewater has been active for 4th game this weekend so he may complete the final season of contract as a full time active player. He should become UFA. If first 6 weeks entering the final season is all that matters then so be it. Worth following him up, though.

6 hours ago, Dr.O said:

It won't cost more than a 2nd IMO. If the Redskins transition tag Cousins than he'll make $28M if no one offers him a deal, he could talk to other teams to work out a deal and then he Redskins would have the ability match the contract; we could front load the deal so much that the Redskins could not match it. Or they will franchise him for $34M and then no team will give up the 2 firsts needed to sign him away.

I thought I heard somewhere that if he had the transition tag then we'd need to give up a 2nd round pick to sign him away, if that is true then serious props to Macc for having the foresight to getting that additional 2nd. I've been saying Cousins this offseason since before last draft, I'm sticking to my guns. Then I'll take Chubb in round 1 to be our Pass Rusher and Price to be our center. I see no reason to believe Cousins won't continue to play at this caliber for another 5+ years. He could be our QB for 10 years at the rate QBs are playing these days. Not outrageous to think he could play til 39.

Archived