FA QB's for 2018

jetfan8178

1 hour ago, rdelaney89 said:

1/2 my guess. When did I say I wanted to give him $50M per year??? I said front load the contract so he doesn't handicap our ability to sign players once our rookies come off their first contracts. 

5 Year $150M Contract

Year 1 - $50M (Still have $50M in cap space AFTER front loading)

Year 2 - $30M

Year 3 - $23M

Year 4 - $23M

Year 5 - $23M

Not to mention that wouldn't be all guaranteed money. He'd be the best QB in our franchises history. So again I ask who are you going to spend $80-100M on this off-season? And how much cap are you trying to roll into next year, and who are you planning to save that money for?

QB is the most important position in the game so yes I'd rather spend our money on that position since a top 10 QB will be available.

We have to resign some players. Enunwa, ASJ, Claiborne just to make a few. And I’d assume we will be very active in the FA and trade market. We also aren’t a desuresbke team, so to get FAs here we will have to overpay. It sucks, but it’s a fact. We also don’t HAVE to use all 80mill of our cap space. I’d imagine we use at least 50-60 of it, but probably not all. Resigning the 3 I mentioned alone will cost close to 30mill of it. 

19 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

We have to resign some players. Enunwa, ASJ, Claiborne just to make a few. And I’d assume we will be very active in the FA and trade market. We also aren’t a desuresbke team, so to get FAs here we will have to overpay. It sucks, but it’s a fact. We also don’t HAVE to use all 80mill of our cap space. I’d imagine we use at least 50-60 of it, but probably not all. Resigning the 3 I mentioned alone will cost close to 30mill of it. 

Assuming we cut Skrine, Forte, and Wilk we'll be at $89.5M in cap space

Resign

ASJ - 3 years $30M - Cap hit $10M (would be one of the top TE contracts, include a clause the lets us off if he screws up)

Claiborne - 3 years $36M - Cap hit $12M (injury clause)

Enunwa - 1 year $5M - Cap hit $5M (Healthy Pryor got 1 year $6M from Washington)

Davis - 2 year $8M - Cap hit $5M

Cap - $57.5M remaining

FA

Cousins - 5 year $150M ($50M year 1)

Cap - 7.5M remaining. 

Draft

Holes Remaining - Pass Rusher/Center/LT/CB with 4 picks in the top ~70

33 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

Assuming we cut Skrine, Forte, and Wilk we'll be at $89.5M in cap space

Resign

ASJ - 3 years $30M - Cap hit $10M (would be one of the top TE contracts, include a clause the lets us off if he screws up)

Claiborne - 3 years $36M - Cap hit $12M (injury clause)

Enunwa - 1 year $5M - Cap hit $5M (Healthy Pryor got 1 year $6M from Washington)

Davis - 2 year $8M - Cap hit $5M

Cap - $57.5M remaining

FA

Cousins - 5 year $150M ($50M year 1)

Cap - 7.5M remaining. 

Draft

Holes Remaining - Pass Rusher/Center/LT/CB with 4 picks in the top ~70

Don’t take this the wrong way but paying Cousins 50mill year 1 is maybe the dumbest thing I’ve seen in this forum. I think everyone on here would agree. So I think it’s best for you to be more realistic and realize he’s only getting between 20-30mill. No team is going to take a 50mill cap hit even if only for 1 season for a player. Not even Rodgers, never mind Cousins.

22 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Don’t take this the wrong way but paying Cousins 50mill year 1 is maybe the dumbest thing I’ve seen in this forum. I think everyone on here would agree. So I think it’s best for you to be more realistic and realize he’s only getting between 20-30mill. No team is going to take a 50mill cap hit even if only for 1 season for a player. Not even Rodgers, never mind Cousins.

I agree, thats so far out there for whats really a mid tier QB... I feel like the team still wont be looking at any big name QB next year.

56 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Again I'll ask, who would you rather spend the remaining $50M in cap space on? You act like that $50M is coming out of your pocket, it would be silly to pass on a top 10 QB because you are concerned about the owners bank account. There is no guarantee you will land the QB you want in the draft unless you trade up, which means loss of significant draft picks. Call me crazy but I'll take the top 10 QB with a lot of money over trading up for an unproven QB who by the time he figures it out will be demanding an even higher contract than the one I mentioned. Keep in mind if you trade up then say goodbye to all the cheap players to fill out the roster. Signing Cousins allows us to pay that QB while we have no one else on the books and it will let us go BPA in the draft as opposed to being forced to try and find/trade for a QB.

Just now, rdelaney89 said:

Again I'll ask, who would you rather spend the remaining $50M in cap space on? You act like that $50M is coming out of your pocket, it would be silly to pass on a top 10 QB because you are concerned about the owners bank account. There is no guarantee you will land the QB you want in the draft unless you trade up, which means loss of significant draft picks. Call me crazy but I'll take the top 10 QB with a lot of money over trading up for an unproven QB who by the time he figures it out will be demanding an even higher contract than the one I mentioned. Keep in mind if you trade up then say goodbye to all the cheap players to fill out the roster. Signing Cousins allows us to pay that QB while we have no one else on the books and it will let us go BPA in the draft as opposed to being forced to try and find/trade for a QB.

I’m open to signing Cousins @ 20-30 per season for around 3-5yrs. Like is stated we will have to overpay players to come here. So if we think they’re worth 10mill a year we have to pay more to get them more than likely. We aren’t a desirable franchise right now. Resigning our own and the draft alone should take up around 40mill in cap. Leaving us with holes still at CB, Edge, RB, WR, LT, C and obviously QB. CB’s and Edge cost a good amount. I haven’t looked at the FA list to see who might be a FA that won’t be tagged. Bell is an option for us. Maybe Pitt lets him walk bc of price. We should add one of Jeffrey, Robinson, Landry or Moncrief. That would bolster our WR group big time. C aren’t expensive typically. I don’t know the LT market either. But we very well might just bolster everything except q.v. and go after a guy in the draft. If we do sign cousins it’d be at a normal price still leaving us with money to address other areas.

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’m open to signing Cousins @ 20-30 per season for around 3-5yrs. Like is stated we will have to overpay players to come here. So if we think they’re worth 10mill a year we have to pay more to get them more than likely. We aren’t a desirable franchise right now. Resigning our own and the draft alone should take up around 40mill in cap. Leaving us with holes still at CB, Edge, RB, WR, LT, C and obviously QB. CB’s and Edge cost a good amount. I haven’t looked at the FA list to see who might be a FA that won’t be tagged. Bell is an option for us. Maybe Pitt lets him walk bc of price. We should add one of Jeffrey, Robinson, Landry or Moncrief. That would bolster our WR group big time. C aren’t expensive typically. I don’t know the LT market either. But we very well might just bolster everything except q.v. and go after a guy in the draft. If we do sign cousins it’d be at a normal price still leaving us with money to address other areas.

1) I really don't think we'll need to over pay our own players to resign them especially since we took a risk on ASJ and Claiborne when no one else did

2) a FA top 10 QB is going to break the record for a contract, tell me I'm wrong but I don't think I am. So you would be okay with 5 years $150M ($30M per year) but not okay with front loading it?? 

I think the difference with our opinion is you don't think a QB will change this roster, where I think we are a QB and a Pass Rusher away from contending.

1 hour ago, jetfan8178 said:

I agree, thats so far out there for whats really a mid tier QB... I feel like the team still wont be looking at any big name QB next year.

What do you consider mid tier??

Kirk Cousins 

Passer Rating - 3rd

QBR - 5th

Comp % - 4th

Total Yards - 9th

Yards per Game - 6th

TDs - 7th

26 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

What do you consider mid tier??

Kirk Cousins 

Passer Rating - 3rd

QBR - 5th

Comp % - 4th

Total Yards - 9th

Yards per Game - 6th

TDs - 7th

30 years old and 0 playoff wins.  Currently 3-4 on pace to miss playoffs again.

The guy puts up stats we get that but it just doesn't translate to wins.  We are going to bring him in and what let him lead us to 8-8 every year.  We don't have a good team right now.  He should go to Jacksonville and play there.  They have a solid rush attack and a very good defense.  We have neither.

3 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

30 years old and 0 playoff wins.  Currently 3-4 on pace to miss playoffs again.

The guy puts up stats we get that but it just doesn't translate to wins.  We are going to bring him in and what let him lead us to 8-8 every year.  We don't have a good team right now.  He should go to Jacksonville and play there.  They have a solid rush attack and a very good defense.  We have neither.

Why don't we just fix our running game then and sign Cousins

Just now, Dr.O said:

Why don't we just fix our running game then and sign Cousins

Well sure it sounds easier said then done.  We would be the the Colts with Luck if we signed him except Cousins is no Luck.

Why don't the Colts just fix their run game and defense for Luck?  Because it takes time and resources and signing a fringe top 10 QB to a worse roster than what he already works with and can't succeed with is horrible for a rebuilding team.  We are not a QB and pass rusher away from contending that is homerism at it's finest.  We need a pass rusher an upgrade at CB, a long term ILB, a LT, a Center, a WR and an upgrade at RB to go along with a QB.  I'm not ready to go all in on Cousins and go FA splurge to contend for a few years and then crash and burn.  I want long term success, not the Tanny Ryan era of going all in on a short window.

10 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

Lol at Cousins slander

It's not slander at all.  The guy is a good QB, not a great one what is so slanderous about that.  He is heading to the wrong side of 30 and looking for a major pay day.  The team that drafted him won't give him a long term deal and the coach who helped him get to the level he is at just traded for a guy with like 6 games under his belt rather than wait to sign him.  Please explain that to me?  If he was so great why aren't the Redskins locking him up and the 49ers setting up to make a run at him?  Look at the writing on the wall he's not as great as you want to believe.  We have a worse roster than the Redskins which he has yet to carry to anything significant but he is going to come here and we are going to draft a pass rusher and be contenders, got it.

1 hour ago, rdelaney89 said:

1) I really don't think we'll need to over pay our own players to resign them especially since we took a risk on ASJ and Claiborne when no one else did

2) a FA top 10 QB is going to break the record for a contract, tell me I'm wrong but I don't think I am. So you would be okay with 5 years $150M ($30M per year) but not okay with front loading it?? 

I think the difference with our opinion is you don't think a QB will change this roster, where I think we are a QB and a Pass Rusher away from contending.

I don’t think we are a QB away from competing. So we don’t agree on that. You’re right in that Cousins will get paid. And we I’m sure will at bare minimum gage the market on him. With our cap space and having no QB we’d be dumb not to. But I don’t think we overpay by a significant amount just to get him. He will be 30 next season. I don’t think we want to go all in on Cousins without setting up the rest of the roster in some form. No we can’t fill every hole this team has in 1 offseason but we sure can address at least 4-6 big needs. Cousins is a borderline top 10 QB and he will get overpaid bc qbs that good don’t hit the market that often. But with Dtaffird being the highest paid at 27mill, I can’t see Cousins getting more than 20-25mill per season. And like I stated, since he’s been with no contract the last 2 seasons I’m sure he’d take an extra year or 2 on his contract before taking more money. Just bc if the situation he’s been in the last 2 years. I for 1 am not pro or against signing him. He easily would be the best qbs we’ve had here in a long time, but he’s not young and isn’t a top qb when he will have to get paid like one. On the other hand I’d rather see us lock up our own for starters (Enunwa, ASJ, Claiborne, etc.) and then be very aggressive in the FA market at RB, WR, LT, C, Edge and CB. We always can make a trade. We have cap space and teams might want to offload a contract that we can take on. 

Archived