FA QB's for 2018

jetfan8178

I'm okay reaching for a QB this year because I think team in the back end of round 1 will take a stab at 1 this year. For me I think it makes a lot of sense to sign Brees and then target Baker Mayfield. Aside from height I see some similarities in their games. Baker runs a little more but I think having Morton could be beneficial for both. I'm interested to see if we try to bring in a vet to match the play style of the young QB we want.

38 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

I'm okay reaching for a QB this year because I think team in the back end of round 1 will take a stab at 1 this year. For me I think it makes a lot of sense to sign Brees and then target Baker Mayfield. Aside from height I see some similarities in their games. Baker runs a little more but I think having Morton could be beneficial for both. I'm interested to see if we try to bring in a vet to match the play style of the young QB we want.

I doubt very much that Brees, will leave his home town of New Orleans, I watch last Sunday and the guy really is special. He is on a par with Brady. Now that the Saints have build a good defensive I can't see him going anywhere. I am not crazy about drafting second & third tier QB's. It has to be Rosen, Darnold, or Lamar Jackson, not a QB with limitations.

52 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

Brees is only 6’0”. But i do think Mayfield is a good fit in NO behind Brees.  I think Mayfield has a better chance of success if he’s in a warm weather city under a HC that is offensive minded.

1 hour ago, rdelaney89 said:

You’re missing a couple big things. 1st major one is why would Brees leave NO? They look pretty good. Just bc his OC is here? Payton is really the OC and he’s still HC there. Bree’s isn’t leaving IMO. And regarding Baker... most his plays are made with his feet. The complete opposite of Breed. The comparisons are if anything 180 degrees different rather than similar.

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

You’re missing a couple big things. 1st major one is why would Brees leave NO? They look pretty good. Just bc his OC is here? Payton is really the OC and he’s still HC there. Bree’s isn’t leaving IMO. And regarding Baker... most his plays are made with his feet. The complete opposite of Breed. The comparisons are if anything 180 degrees different rather than similar.

"Here’s where that approach is leading. Given the presence of a no-trade clause and a commitment not to tag Brees in 2018, he has one year under contract with the Saints. After that, who knows what will happen? Whether Brees stays in New Orleans or not, $18 million will count against the team’s salary cap in 2018 in his name. The cap charge from a new deal would only add to that. Which means that, if he has for example a cap charge of $20 million in 2018, the Saints would have $38 million assigned to Brees next year." - Per NBC Sports

So to answer your statements 1) Brees may not have an option but to leave NO unless he wants to play for free next season. 2) If Brees isn't staying I believe the Saints will look for another coach and QB. Sure Payton could stay but does he really want to try and groom a rookie or will he look for an established team looking for a legit head coach. 3) Brees knows the system Morton put in place so at 38 he won't need to relearn a playbook, he's 6' just like Mayfield so learning to throw on bootlegs and moving within the pocket to see over the 6'5" offensive lineman is a skill that someone like Brees could help teach. 

@doumeyer

9 hours ago, doumeyer said:

I doubt very much that Brees, will leave his home town of New Orleans, I watch last Sunday and the guy really is special. He is on a par with Brady. Now that the Saints have build a good defensive I can't see him going anywhere. I am not crazy about drafting second & third tier QB's. It has to be Rosen, Darnold, or Lamar Jackson, not a QB with limitations.

What limitations do you see in Baker Mayfield's game? Just wondering why you didn't put him in that tier with Rosen, Darnold and Jackson. I agree with your comment on not spending a draft on a second tier QB though. I would just add Mayfield to that list. 

43 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I have Mayfield closer to the Manziel tier than I do a legit starting qbs in the nfl. Undersized, uses his legs to create lanes to throw and is as cocky as they get.

I like Mayfield cause he was a walk on and he's always had a chip on his shoulder because of it. Johnny Football was handed everything and came off as a spoiled brat. Manziel tier is confusing, are you saying he will be out of the league due to drugs/lifestyle or that he will be a mid first round QB?

Baker is really likable, but he flies out of the pocket at sight of pressure. This is a huge concern to me. Wilson and Brees have success because they know how to step into pocket. 

I'm putting all my eggs into Lamar Jackson. He's my QB1 as of now. Elite tools. All he needs to do is gain some muscle.

Many QB's use their legs just look around the league.  If you can escape trouble that's when big plays happen.  Even guys like Luck, A-Rod, Watson, Wilson etc. are using their legs when things break down as a second option.  They are pocket passers first unlike the Tyrod and Cam type QB's but they use their legs more times then not.  

I'm not sold on Mayfield as I need to watch more film but having the ability to use you legs to extend plays has become a huge part of playing QB.  The Brady's and Manning type QB's who slide around the pocket are becoming few and far between.  The key with guys like Mayfield and Jackson are teaching them to keep their eyes downfield so when they do extend the play that's when guys shake loose because they are a threat to run and DB's have to be aware of that.

I want Lamar Jackson not so we can just run him like Vick but I think having that ability to escape is so important.  I think Morton's quick passing offense and Jackson's ability to throw the ball down field will be a great fit for him here.  It will keep the offense simple with quick reads so that we can help him ease into a multiple read offense, he has an elite deep threat to go to in Anderson and his ability to extend plays with his legs will lead to big plays.  Jackson is an underrated passer as he is not NFL ready by any means but has improved throughout his college career.  At this point he won't come into the league and be Watson but without question his ceiling is sky high and one that would give the Jets a QB unlike anything they have ever had.  

35 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Many QB's use their legs just look around the league.  If you can escape trouble that's when big plays happen.  Even guys like Luck, A-Rod, Watson, Wilson etc. are using their legs when things break down as a second option.  They are pocket passers first unlike the Tyrod and Cam type QB's but they use their legs more times then not.  

I'm not sold on Mayfield as I need to watch more film but having the ability to use you legs to extend plays has become a huge part of playing QB.  The Brady's and Manning type QB's who slide around the pocket are becoming few and far between.  The key with guys like Mayfield and Jackson are teaching them to keep their eyes downfield so when they do extend the play that's when guys shake loose because they are a threat to run and DB's have to be aware of that.

I want Lamar Jackson not so we can just run him like Vick but I think having that ability to escape is so important.  I think Morton's quick passing offense and Jackson's ability to throw the ball down field will be a great fit for him here.  It will keep the offense simple with quick reads so that we can help him ease into a multiple read offense, he has an elite deep threat to go to in Anderson and his ability to extend plays with his legs will lead to big plays.  Jackson is an underrated passer as he is not NFL ready by any means but has improved throughout his college career.  At this point he won't come into the league and be Watson but without question his ceiling is sky high and one that would give the Jets a QB unlike anything they have ever had.  

Very quality post. I'm all in on Lamar Jackson as well. His tools are elite and his improvement as a passer are REAL. He'll gain weight w time.

I've been a Rosen guy since he started college.  Hhas put up numbers without a lot of talent around him.  Thats the sign of a potential pro qb

If you look at the most successful QB's the past 15+ years in the NFL, most of them did not have an NFL caliber WR to throw the ball to in college

Just now, bcb1213 said:

I've been a Rosen guy since he started college.  Hhas put up numbers without a lot of talent around him.  Thats the sign of a potential pro qb

If you look at the most successful QB's the past 15+ years in the NFL, most of them did not have an NFL caliber WR to throw the ball to in college

Your point has been my point all along. Rosen is playing with zero talent their defensive is giving up 47 points a game, so he get less playing time. I am old school I like a QB who stays in the pocket like Brady, Brees, Big Ben, Eli Manning, Phil Rivers, Kirt Cousins or Luck. As great as Rogers is that running around cost him and this team the season. In the NFL only Russell Wilson has not gotten hurt yet, but it is only a matter or time. Look at Griiffen 111 it didn't take him long to get knocked out of the NFL due to injuries.

No more veteran QBs. I've seen the Jets pick up more veteran QB in my lifetime than the franchise have drafted QBs in the 1st round in their existence. 

• Sanchez
  • Pennington
  • Richard Todd
  • O'Brein
  • Namath

That's 5 dudes in 50+ years! 

• McCown
  • Fitzpatrick
  • Favre
  • Testaverde
  • O'Donnell
  • Esiason

I'm not even 30 yet and I've lived through more old man free agency pick ups than QBs drafted in the 1st round by the Jets. Invest in a guy to build around. Stop all these season-by-season patchworks. Just don't pick another USC QB, I can't live through that again.

1 minute ago, doumeyer said:

Your point has been my point all along. Rosen is playing with zero talent their defensive is giving up 47 points a game, so he get less playing time. I am old school I like a QB who stays in the pocket like Brady, Brees, Big Ben, Eli Manning, Phil Rivers, Kirt Cousins or Luck. As great as Rogers is that running around cost him and this team the season. In the NFL only Russell Wilson has not gotten hurt yet, but it is only a matter or time. Look at Griiffen 111 it didn't take him long to get knocked out of the NFL due to injuries.

Ben has had multiple injuries, Brady torn his ACL, and Luck just missed the whole season.  There is no way to know if a QB will get hurt in or out of the pocket.  The idea is to get hit less and if Jackson uses his legs smartly then he will be just fine.  He's 20 and will get better as a passer and stronger with a full NFL workout regime.

I like Rosen as well but I can't see us in range to grab him or giving up what it will take to land him.  Jackson has a skill set unlike anything we've seen since Michael Vick but with what is a advanced passing ability.  Vick was all arm strength and no touch.  I think Jackson is more advanced at this stage even though he needs work with intermediate route accuracy still.  I think if you build a team around him with a tough defense and a good rush attack you can win with a QB like Lamar.  With improved C player from a guy like Price or Ragnow who can get push in the run game, an explosive RB like Guice, Wadley, Carter etc and a healthy Q you have the makings of a really good offense.  

Archived