2017-2018 NBA GDT: Off the court discussions

11sanchez11

NBA Champions  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who's The Favorite to Win it All This Year?

• Warriors
    • Cavaliers
    • Someone Else, Somehow?

5 hours ago, kyle21121 said:

So I thought I heard that Embiid was cleared medically to play tonight be he himself decided not to play. Is that correct?

He took parts in warm ups and probably didn't feel like he could go. Woj expected him to miss both Raptors games before returning at Xmas. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

He took parts in warm ups and probably didn't feel like he could go. Woj expected him to miss both Raptors games before returning at Xmas. 

Dude is basically Shaq in his 30s.

I still refuse to rank or compare him to anyone. He's an actual NBA player by the thinnest of all margins.

Also not a fan of Embiid's cocky schtick. Him talking crap to Westbrook after they lost the game? Really? Take your L and get your arse to the showers. You gotta actually do something in the NBA before you act like that, or at the very least win the freaking game. Kinda surprised a lot of people are enjoying it TBH. And this is coming from someone who roots for the guy and enjoyed that fat bastard in the front row double birding Westbrook in last year's season opener.

1 hour ago, Mossburg said:

Also not a fan of Embiid's cocky schtick. Him talking crap to Westbrook after they lost the game? Really? Take your L and get your arse to the showers. You gotta actually do something in the NBA before you act like that, or at the very least win the freaking game. Kinda surprised a lot of people are enjoying it TBH. And this is coming from someone who roots for the guy and enjoyed that fat bastard in the front row double birding Westbrook in last year's season opener.

Westbrook was talking smack to him after the game, not the other way around......

Embiid is awesome. Damn good player and great character. Only dude that really consistently goes at other players either on twitter or in pre/post game interviews. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Westbrook was talking smack to him after the game, not the other way around......

Embiid is awesome. Damn good player and great character. Only dude that really consistently goes at other players either on twitter or in pre/post game interviews. 

And he has the right to given he closed out the game and won. And I don't recall Westbrook talking crap too often to people after games, so it could have been because of the back and forth jawing throughout the game and him finger wagging and taunting Adams repeatedly.

He'll be awesome when he accomplishes something more than tease fans.

13 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

I still love Kyrie Irving and I love his potential and I definitely would have done that trade with Cleveland all over again but to this point I really can't disagree with what you are saying

Still would like him on the Cavs but the trade so far has worked out a lot for both teams. I dont know if it holds up but he Cavs have a proven top10 bench. I believe they are 6th in scoring, 3rd in FG%, 5th in 3pt%, 8th in efficiency. Compared to last year they were 28th in scoring, 18th in FG%, 1st in 3pt % (Cavs had more shooters on the bench last year compared to this year), and 29th in efficiency. Gonna miss seeing Irving rip off a 35+ point scoring night, but I love seeing the Cavs actually have a bench that is productive and actually scores while James is off the floor. I think I read a stat a week or two ago that basically said the Cavs have a + scoring stat with Lebron off the floor this year, where last year it was in the negatives. I know its a short sample size but its something as of right now. I also believe this might be the best bench Lebron has ever played with. Cavs have DWade to thank for that. I remember on paper last year Cleveland was talked about having a good bench but it never materialized. This year it actually has and it should hopefully get better when IT comes back. 

13 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

Kyrie Irving still has to learn the balance of when to take over and went to trust teammates. I'm still hoping Brad Stevens can get that done down the road

To me its always been hard for Irving to take over on his own. What I mean by that, When Irving and James were on the floor together, Irving could take games over. I believe that was possible because teams had to worry about James because he was still the most dangerous guy on the floor. Whenever James left the floor, he really struggled at time. When it came to play the best teams in the league, Irving couldnt handle taking over when James was off the floor. Maybe it improves when Heyward comes back. Same with trusting his teammates. When James was off the floor last year, it was very hard for Irving to distribute the ball unless he was just blanketed.  

29 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

And he has the right to given he closed out the game and won. And I don't recall Westbrook talking crap too often to people after games, so it could have been because of the back and forth jawing throughout the game and him finger wagging and taunting Adams repeatedly.

I kinda appreciate that he's trolling how serious people take stuff. It's really not that serious and it's fun to see a dude not be a cliche. I think the public will turn on him, like they do on everyone, but idk I'm all in on it. 

People should lay off crowning the guy until he proves he can stay healthy, though, forreal. I'd take all the young stud bigs before him if I were building a team. 

Just now, champ11 said:

I kinda appreciate that he's trolling how serious people take stuff. It's really not that serious and it's fun to see a dude not be a cliche. I think the public will turn on him, like they do on everyone, but idk I'm all in on it. 

People should lay off crowning the guy until he proves he can stay healthy, though, forreal. I'd take all the young stud bigs before him if I were building a team. 

I'm ok if he clowns someone like Draymond who flexes when he scores over PGs, but doing it against Steven Adams? Adams is all class, dude is blue collar af, never complains or says anything to anyone, just a limitless grinder who works had every minute he's on the floor and never showboats.

4 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

I'm ok if he clowns someone like Draymond who flexes when he scores over PGs, but doing it against Steven Adams? Adams is all class, dude is blue collar af, never complains or says anything to anyone, just a limitless grinder who works had every minute he's on the floor and never showboats.

Even more reason to flex on him. Trying hard is for dweebs 

1 hour ago, Mossburg said:

Embiid did do the finger wag when Adams got ejected, but I don't think he said anything to Westbrook beforehand. After the game, Westbrook just returned the favor. No harm no foul....Embiid is entertaining on/off the court. And easily the best twitter follower.....

4 hours ago, buno67 said:

Still would like him on the Cavs but the trade so far has worked out a lot for both teams. I dont know if it holds up but he Cavs have a proven top10 bench. I believe they are 6th in scoring, 3rd in FG%, 5th in 3pt%, 8th in efficiency. Compared to last year they were 28th in scoring, 18th in FG%, 1st in 3pt % (Cavs had more shooters on the bench last year compared to this year), and 29th in efficiency. Gonna miss seeing Irving rip off a 35+ point scoring night, but I love seeing the Cavs actually have a bench that is productive and actually scores while James is off the floor. I think I read a stat a week or two ago that basically said the Cavs have a + scoring stat with Lebron off the floor this year, where last year it was in the negatives. I know its a short sample size but its something as of right now. I also believe this might be the best bench Lebron has ever played with. Cavs have DWade to thank for that. I remember on paper last year Cleveland was talked about having a good bench but it never materialized. This year it actually has and it should hopefully get better when IT comes back. 

To me its always been hard for Irving to take over on his own. What I mean by that, When Irving and James were on the floor together, Irving could take games over. I believe that was possible because teams had to worry about James because he was still the most dangerous guy on the floor. Whenever James left the floor, he really struggled at time. When it came to play the best teams in the league, Irving couldnt handle taking over when James was off the floor. Maybe it improves when Heyward comes back. Same with trusting his teammates. When James was off the floor last year, it was very hard for Irving to distribute the ball unless he was just blanketed.  

for the most part no one player, can consistently take over a game. At least not on a nightly basis and expect good results. One reason why Hayward is so important. But KI is in prove it mode and he always had undeniable high confidence. 

BUT I do wonder what will happen with KI and GH (when back and healthy) will KI go into full alpha mode? Will GH accept the "Scottie Pippen" role? Will Brad Stevens be able to work this out? 

won't find out till next season I guess, but will be interesting to see how this develops.

Archived