2017-2018 NBA GDT: Off the court discussions

11sanchez11

NBA Champions  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who's The Favorite to Win it All This Year?

• Warriors
    • Cavaliers
    • Someone Else, Somehow?

3 minutes ago, utley4568 said:

Is it really that loaded where they're at in the standings? It's not like 7-10 in the West is an elite group of teams that would easily make it in the East. 

In a manner of speaking, I believe so. In the East it's essentially a 3 team competition for the last 2 playoff spots, while it's a tossup between 6 teams for the last 4 spots in the West, at the moment. The bottom half of both conferences are pretty bad, but I think the mid-tier is a little bit stronger out West. Not to mention the recent win streak by the Jazz has included victories over teams such as the Raptors, Warriors, Trailblazers and Spurs (twice).

1 minute ago, RavensTillIDie said:

In a manner of speaking, I believe so. In the East it's essentially a 3 team competition for the last 2 playoff spots, while it's a tossup between 6 teams for the last 4 spots in the West, at the moment. The bottom half of both conferences are pretty bad, but I think the mid-tier is a little bit stronger out West. Not to mention the recent win streak by the Jazz has included victories over teams such as the Raptors, Warriors, Trailblazers and Spurs (twice).

Just because it's more competitive, doesn't mean the teams are better. I would argue that the conferences are fairly similar from six down.

Just now, utley4568 said:

Just because it's more competitive, doesn't mean the teams are better. I would argue that the conferences are fairly similar from six down.

But we're not really talking about individually ranking the teams. The discussion was centered around the perception that Mitchell is leading his team in a more competitive race for a playoff spot, which you agree with. Which in turn is what is fueling his rise in the ROTY rankings.

ROY has no consistency to the award whatsoever. Carmelo had similar stats and led his team to a playoff spot in the old West while LeBron missed the playoffs in a worse East and still got ROY over Melo. In a similar scenario, Amare and Yao had similar production and Yao (like LeBron) had infinitely more hype, and Amare won ROY because his team made it into the playoffs.

It's basically darts on a wall being thrown at a few candidates outside of one being super obvious.

8 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

ROY has no consistency to the award whatsoever. Carmelo had similar stats and led his team to a playoff spot in the old West while LeBron missed the playoffs in a worse East and still got ROY over Melo. In a similar scenario, Amare and Yao had similar production and Yao (like LeBron) had infinitely more hype, and Amare won ROY because his team made it into the playoffs.

It's basically darts on a wall being thrown at a few candidates outside of one being super obvious.

STILL SALTY MELO DIDNT GET ROY 

2 minutes ago, champ11 said:

STILL SALTY MELO DIDNT GET ROY 

Was a slam dunk really. Worst team from previous season, adds high impact rookie who is their best player and to everyone's surprise makes the playoffs with 43 wins in a brutal conference.

I bash Fat Melo for a hobby, but that was a goddamn robbery.

33 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

Was a slam dunk really. Worst team from previous season, adds high impact rookie who is their best player and to everyone's surprise makes the playoffs with 43 wins in a brutal conference.

I bash Fat Melo for a hobby, but that was a goddamn robbery.

I literally thought you wrote Fab Melo.. what happened to that dude?! Ironically, they both played at Syracuse.

1 hour ago, 49er pride said:

Denver Melo doesnt deserve the bashing. If it wasn't for an Ariza steal... lawd.

The best player he has ever played with was an old Billups. And he went to a WCF that was super close with him. Melo's game became outdated, but he was amazing for a decade on meh teams that couldn't stay healthy w/ a coach he didn't like. Deserves way more praise than he gets

Archived