2017-2018 NBA GDT: Off the court discussions

11sanchez11

NBA Champions  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who's The Favorite to Win it All This Year?

• Warriors
    • Cavaliers
    • Someone Else, Somehow?

18 hours ago, Danger said:

The Lonzo Ball who is shooting 35% on the season.

The Lonzo Ball just the other day had more 3 point attempts then points scored? Small Sample Size but humor me.

Fultz 14 minutes tonight vs Lonzo's per game season numbers

Assists/TO
Ball: 7.2/2.7
Fultz: 8/1

Rebounds
Ball: 7.0
Fultz: 4

FG%
Ball: .352
Fultz: .385

Fultz: 10

So on a night where he was just coming back and there's reason to believe he can shoot better, he did perform better in his 14 minutes than Ball has all season in his 35 minutes per game. 

Lulz.  That's all I really have to say about your argument.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Lulz.  That's all I really have to say about your argument.

I'm not trying to prop up Fultz. His play will show who he is for better or worse. What was amusing is that a Lakers fan is taking the biggest potshots at Fultz when their own Top Draft pick is looking no better.

1 minute ago, Danger said:

I'm not trying to prop up Fultz. His play will show who he is for better or worse. What was amusing is that a Lakers fan is taking the biggest potshots at Fultz when their own Top Draft pick is looking no better.

It certainly came off that way.  We all figured that Lonzo was going to struggle with his shot, that's not really a surprise.  It'd be one thing if he was bad shooting the ball the entire season, but we saw flashes in the middle of the season where he shot reasonably well (shot 38% from beyond the arc in December).  But even when his shot wasn't falling, he's getting involved in terms of passing (would be tied for 7th in APG if he played enough games) and rebounding (tied for 36th with Larry Nance Jr.).  Fultz was productive sans the shooting last night, but that 8 assists in 14 minutes seems totally unsustainable given how he was in college.  Fultz was billed as a go-to scorer, and if these 5-13 shooting nights are going to be a regular thing than that's an issue.

Just now, CWood21 said:

It certainly came off that way.  We all figured that Lonzo was going to struggle with his shot, that's not really a surprise.  It'd be one thing if he was bad shooting the ball the entire season, but we saw flashes in the middle of the season where he shot reasonably well (shot 38% from beyond the arc in December).  But even when his shot wasn't falling, he's getting involved in terms of passing (would be tied for 7th in APG if he played enough games) and rebounding (tied for 36th with Larry Nance Jr.).  Fultz was productive sans the shooting last night, but that 8 assists in 14 minutes seems totally unsustainable given how he was in college.  Fultz was billed as a go-to scorer, and if these 5-13 shooting nights are going to be a regular thing than that's an issue.

Given that Ben Simmons is going to play our PG, Fultz long term projects to be a 2G, so I'd assume that no it certainly isn't sustainable. I fully expect his assists to be lower but his shooting percentage to rise. The most encouraging thing about Fultz's game last night was with how many touches he had on the ball, he only committed one turnover. 

Just now, Danger said:

Given that Ben Simmons is going to play our PG, Fultz long term projects to be a 2G, so I'd assume that no it certainly isn't sustainable. I fully expect his assists to be lower but his shooting percentage to rise. The most encouraging thing about Fultz's game last night was with how many touches he had on the ball, he only committed one turnover. 

Simmons may be the "PG" in terms of running the offense, but he's going to guard SF or PF which leaves Fultz to guard other teams' point guards.  Given that Fultz averaged 6 APG in 36 MPG in college, I feel pretty damn confident that his assists from last game is an anomaly.  Add on the fact that Simmons effectively runs the offense, and I'd anticipate his APG to be in that 4-5 APG range at best.

50 minutes ago, Danger said:

LOLLOLOLOLOL

Ball has looked better than Fultz no question, but that's really only by virtue of being on the court. Both have had incredibly underwhelming years, at least from where I'm at.

Lonzo's rookie year is similar to Mudiay's in many regards, and I guarantee Laker's fans are saying the exact same things to cope that we were saying about Mudiay. Now they could turn out being right for sure, but I'd say it's not a good sign. I didn't think Lonzo was supposed to be a project at all, normal rookie woes of course, but that's it. Maybe that's the issue and why I consider him to be such a disappointment. 

58 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Ball has looked better than Fultz no question, but that's really only by virtue of being on the court. Both have had incredibly underwhelming years, at least from where I'm at.

Lonzo's rookie year is similar to Mudiay's in many regards, and I guarantee Laker's fans are saying the exact same things to cope that we were saying about Mudiay. Now they could turn out being right for sure, but I'd say it's not a good sign. I didn't think Lonzo was supposed to be a project at all, normal rookie woes of course, but that's it. Maybe that's the issue and why I consider him to be such a disappointment. 

The only thing similar about Mudiay and Ball are their low fg percentage. Mudiay was a ball dominent scorer who tried to play a pure pg role. Ball is not as ball dominant and he's playing pass first. He has a higher a/to rate, plays better defense and pretty damn good defense for a rookie,  and a better rebounder. Ball is living up to the realistic expectations. Everyone who had realistic expectations said ball would struggle scoring. If he was a better scorer, he would be having one of the best rookie years ever. But that just shows how well he has been doing in other areas. Obviously scoring is a big part of the game and I'm not saying ball is having a great rookie campaign, but it's not underwhelming either. 

As for fultz, dude will be trash if his shoulder remains hurt. If he gets healed, then his potential is up there but my fultz comment was pertaining to that certain game, not his potential 

Archived