Raiders sign DL Solomon Thomas (1 year, $5M)

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

I didn’t read that article that Vic wrote but maybe it was they thought he was to small to be a everydown DT where he plays 60 plus snaps. Which is valid but as a situational player he has shown to very well hold his own there. 

That could be but there are two things wrong with that:

1. Our problem wasnt run stopping defensive tackles coming into the season. Our problem was that our defensive tackles never contributed to the pass to the pass rush. 

2. Tape don't lie put out a really good breakdown of Solomon Thomas(and even they didn't think he could rush the passer). One thing they were sure about was the fact that he can stop the run. That's also worth pointing out that he put up 36 wraps on the bench press at the combine when he was coming out. 

8:09-10:07

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mr Raider said:

How big would it be for this team if Thomas can be even remotely close to how good he was yesterday on a regular basis. Man it would be nice to have success with a former high pick cast off again. He definitely has all the tools, and while I won't make too big of a deal about it until he starts putting some solid games together consistently, regardless of how you spin it it's an encouraging sign to see the guy play better yesterday than he did in any one game in SF.

If he can be a guy that can do that even somewhat consistently when given opportunities because of all the attention Yannick and Crosby command this defense overall may end up being as good as it has been all season long. Thomas was super disruptive yesterday. And with him it's like he's playing a role who cares what his overall PFF grade is each week, just tell me his pass rushing grade. Because he isn't in there to be a run stuffing force (the reason the whole he's too small to play 3T that Vic brought up and was made a big deal over). It's like he clearly was signed for an amount of money, to be a potential reclamation project at a spot that we haven't had any success in since the days of Seymour and Tommy Kelly. And that isn't an elite run stuffing 3T. It was to get any semblance of a pass rush from the defensive interior.

Even if Thomas is too small to play 3T on obvious running downs (I'm not sure I agree anyway but for arguments sake) it's like who cares? We can throw Jefferson or Philon out there. Even though Vic made the claim the Raiders were worried about Thomas being too small, yet Jefferson is listed as 6'4" 291, Philon is listed as 6'1" 286, and Thomas is listed as 6'3" 295. So you would think the logical conclusion would be that literally every single guy brought in by this coaching staff at DT is in the 6'1" to 6'4" 285-300 pound range (including McCoy and Square) outside of Hankins who was already here and exclusively plays NT, is an indication that this current staff wants smaller, quicker DT that can push and collapse the pocket, even if it comes at the expense of their ability to be dominant against the run or taking on double teams. 

Instead Vic singled out Thomas for whatever reason, and perhaps there really were rumblings because Thomas despite being a similar size didn't look as strong or whatever in camp, but I don't really buy it. I don't think Thomas has ever been looked at as a guy that lacked strength or athleticism, since entering the NFL it's been about his lack of bend and ability to be athletic enough to pressure the QB around the edge. And I don't understand why a defensive staff that just came in this year would single out a guy that was paid relative peanuts in the grand scheme, was a former top 5 pick that is only 26 years old, at a position with probably the biggest need for guys to step up and surprise. Especially at that time, the staff is not only questioning what Thomas is capable of and if he is big enough to play the position, FOUR DAYS INTO TRAINING CAMP? Before a single preseason game has been played? Hell before pads had even came on? 

I don't like to take shots at people that are just trying to do their job, but in that situation it seemed like a lot of Vic trying to connect the dots himself, and perhaps making a lot of "educated" deductions based on things being said like the staff wanting to bring in another guy/body at DT, or keeping their eyes peeled for another DT that could come in and perhaps be a great anchor against the run for obvious running downs (since Jefferson and Philon are also on the smaller side like Thomas) and instead he singles out Thomas because a lot was made about the guaranteed money he was given. Made for a story that sounded plausible and would generate buzz because of Thomas being a former top 5 pick and how desperately the Raiders were in need of someone to produce at 3T.

Hundred percent everything you're saying is everything I believe personally. 

I mean I'm sure this goes without saying that everyone knows this already but basically what Vic Tafur does every time without fail is he'll have a personal opinion on something and then he'll put it out there as if it's some report. 

• Like 1

@Frankie2Gunzjust for reference sake to go back to what we were talking about about a month ago:

You mentioned that Selah didn’t want Solomon Thomas and the Niners let Solomon Thomas walk. You also mentioned that the Raiders were stupid for picking up someone that the people that were involved in drafting him and seen him for four years didn’t want. This is what things look like right now:

Sheldon Rankins(Selahs pick): 1 sack

Javon Kinlaw(The Niners pick): 0 sacks

Solomon Thomas(Raiders pick): 2.5 sacks(currently leads the team)

Here’s what I was mentioning before. Solomon Thomas was

1. being brought in as a rotational piece. So there is no expectation for him to produce at all. So if he doesn’t get another sack now he basically did his job. 

2. Was recognized as the top defensive player in the 2017 draft for playing 3T in college and was played DE in San Francisco because they already had one of the best 3T in the NFL(Who they foolishly got rid of)

13 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

@Frankie2Gunzjust for reference sake to go back to what we were talking about about a month ago:

You mentioned that Selah didn’t want Solomon Thomas and the Niners let Solomon Thomas walk. You also mentioned that the Raiders were stupid for picking up someone that the people that were involved in drafting him and seen him for four years didn’t want. This is what things look like right now:

1. being brought in as a rotational piece. So there is no expectation for him to produce at all. So if he doesn’t get another sack now he basically did his job. 

2. Was recognized as the top defensive player in the 2017 draft for playing 3T in college and was played DE in San Francisco because they already had one of the best 3T in the NFL(Who they foolishly got rid of)

You’re clueless and Frankie knows all 

2 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

I was one of the first people who projected him to us in the offseason and I was all for signing him.  I wanted him because of all of the reasons that you mentioned, upside potential, age and draft status. 

Did I expect him to produce 2.5 sacks three games into the season, I did not.

• Like 1

Just now, Frankie2Gunz said:

I was one of the first people who projected him to us in the offseason and I was all for signing him.  I wanted him because of all of the reasons that you mentioned, upside potential, age and draft status. 

Did I expect him to produce 2.5 sacks three games into the season, I did not.

Yeah I do remember that but you did punk the Raiders decision to bring him in because of the fact that the Niners and  their former defensive coordinator both passed on him. I also remember you weren't really a fan of the whole get a bunch of these upside guys make a rotation out of them. 

That said, It's really cool to see that the interior rush isn't a liability thus far into the season. 

7 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Yeah I do remember that but you did punk the Raiders decision to bring him in because of the fact that the Niners and  their former defensive coordinator both passed on him. I also remember you weren't really a fan of the whole get a bunch of these upside guys make a rotation out of them. 

That said, It's really cool to see that the interior rush isn't a liability thus far into the season. 

Let's just say that I was not expecting much from any of them lol.  They have exceeded my expectations and I feel that a lot of the early success has to do with YN and Maxx collapsing the pocket.  

The 9ers letting ST go and Saleah not bringing him in were certainly red flags in my opinion.  They watched him in practice every day and knew way more about him than any of us could ever imagine.  

Granted it's only been three games but 2.5 sacks is quite impressive and so far his production is proving everyone wrong!!! 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Let's just say that I was not expecting much from any of them lol.  They have exceeded my expectations and I feel that a lot of the early success has to do with YN and Maxx collapsing the pocket.  

The 9ers letting ST go and Saleah not bringing him in were certainly red flags in my opinion.  They watched him in practice every day and knew way more about him than any of us could ever imagine.  

Granted it's only been three games but 2.5 sacks is quite impressive and so far his production is proving everyone wrong!!! 

I do agree very much with Yannick and Crosby also getting a lot of attention off the edge. Like I was saying before that's all they really have to do is not be the liability and actually get the pressure like they're supposed to when when a team has good defensive ends. That's why it mattered more than a lot of people thought to get someone like Yannick who may not always get the crazy sack numbers but he wins most of the time unless he gets double teamed allowing for someone else to eat

What you're saying about the Niners and Selah are not wrong in theory but when you think about it it's like why would you not play somebody that was the best defensive player playing one thing and then you play them at something else? That doesn't make sense to me. And they think around here three or four "why don't we just try him at his regular position for a season and see what happens" before letting him go

And yeah who thought that guy would be leading the team in sacks in 3 games given that he doesn't even play full time.

I respect you admitting when youre wrong btw

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 1