Raiders sign DL Solomon Thomas (1 year, $5M)

RaidersAreOne

31 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

In terms of talent. I don’t think so I think we’re better at some position and worse at others. 

I also think Gruden had to blow up the team to build his own team(what was also evidenced by him getting rid of McKenzie the following year) That’s my take

We had to stop paying 4-5 OL 50M combined per season.  We were never going to be able to put together a well rounded roster when 4 players were making a quarter of our entire salary cap.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

We had to stop paying 4-5 OL 50M combined per season.  We were never going to be able to put together a well rounded roster when 4 players were making a quarter of our entire salary cap.

I’ve been saying that but ppl think I’m crazy when I say it

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I’ve been saying that but ppl think I’m crazy when I say it

It's the truth, the line was overpaid and underperformed. It had to be addressed to spend money on defense which we did. Hudson was a tough one but he was overpaid. Jackson and Brown were no brainers

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

In terms of talent. I don’t think so I think we’re better at some position and worse at others. 

I also think Gruden had to blow up the team to build his own team(what was also evidenced by him getting rid of McKenzie the following year) That’s my take

I understand the mind set of creating your own team but Davis should have known this team was not setup for a Gruden type offense and Davis should not have given a 10 year deal so that Gruden did not take his time.  My overall belief is that if Carr and JDR just stand with the team in 2017 against WFT we easily could have made the playoffs and Davis would not have been able to fire him for Gruden.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I understand the mind set of creating your own team but Davis should have known this team was not setup for a Gruden type offense and Davis should not have given a 10 year deal so that Gruden did not take his time.  My overall belief is that if Carr and JDR just stand with the team in 2017 against WFT we easily could have made the playoffs and Davis would not have been able to fire him for Gruden.

Can you look at the

1.way the defense was playing

2.The lack of running game

3. The lack of quality wins against teams that went to the playoffs/ The excess of He is picking in the top 10 the following year 

I figure it was inevitable that if they played better team they would put out what they did in 2017

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

Can you look at the

1.way the defense was playing

2.The lack of running game

3. The lack of quality wins against teams that went to the playoffs/ The excess of He is picking in the top 10 the following year 

I figure it was inevitable that if they played better team they would put out what they did in 2017

The run game, defense, and getting up for big opponents are all aspects where effort and drive play a big role.  Whether you have effort or not if things are going your way it is easy to forget about not liking someone.  Yo are enjoying the game.  When things go bad you start asking yourself why am I even out here.  I do not want to make that @$$**** look good.  Not everyone will quit at the same time but you have a downward spiral affect.  It will also ebb and flow.  So you have to look at the average effort but that is the eyeball test which is hard to measure but it has already been said by Davis that JDR lost the locker room.

5 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

The run game, defense, and getting up for big opponents are all aspects where effort and drive play a big role.  Whether you have effort or not if things are going your way it is easy to forget about not liking someone.  Yo are enjoying the game.  When things go bad you start asking yourself why am I even out here.  I do not want to make that @$$**** look good.  Not everyone will quit at the same time but you have a downward spiral affect.  It will also ebb and flow.  So you have to look at the average effort but that is the eyeball test which is hard to measure but it has already been said by Davis that JDR lost the locker room.

I think all 3 do. 

14 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I don’t get why everyone thinks that Solomon Thomas got paid 5 million. It was actually 2.8 million. 

my bad. i never bothered re-checking after initial reports of 5 mil. you're right

i still think letting Hurst go in order to bring in Thomas was a poor decision

Edited by Turnobili
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Turnobili said:

my bad. i never bothered re-checking after initial reports of 5 mil. you're right

i still think letting Hurst go in order to bring in Thomas was a poor decision

LOL it’s all good you’re not the only one who’s been saying that

That Solomon Thomas signing has some great potential to break out and we shouldn't worry about the intetior without seeing guys actually play first.........

Our "big potential" DT signing is now our like 5th string DE. Quick! Someone make an excuse about DePtH! 

Our D will never really improve with this kind of nonsense and drafting almost exclusively depth players with almost no shot at starting. 

🤦🏼‍♂️

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

That Solomon Thomas signing has some great potential to break out and we shouldn't worry about the intetior without seeing guys actually play first.........

Our "big potential" DT signing is now our like 5th string DE. Quick! Someone make an excuse about DePtH! 

Our D will never really improve with this kind of nonsense and drafting almost exclusively depth players with almost no shot at starting. 

🤦🏼‍♂️

Haha it's both comical and sad all at the same time.  Our front office is so inept at talent evaluation it's really not funny.  Hey, at least Gruden talks a big game and makes funny faces.  Completely worth 10 million per season.

I cant wait to hear delusional fans start to "break down film" and claim a 500 year old McCoy is now our savior at 3T.  

You're exactly right, Thomas is now our 5th string DE and camp just started.  That is so pathetic, it's not funny. 

• Like 2