Raiders sign DL Solomon Thomas (1 year, $5M)

RaidersAreOne

29 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Haha it's both comical and sad all at the same time.  Our front office is so inept at talent evaluation it's really not funny.  Hey, at least Gruden talks a big game and makes funny faces.  Completely worth 10 million per season.

I cant wait to hear delusional fans start to "break down film" and claim a 500 year old McCoy is now our savior at 3T.  

You're exactly right, Thomas is now our 5th string DE and camp just started.  That is so pathetic, it's not funny. 

100% agree except for 3 points.  Thomas is not or 5th DE but is expected to compete for a starting spot over Ferrell.  So we signed a sucky DE thinking he could play 3T but not any more.  Apparently he is close to the same level as our 4th overall DE pick but still sucks.

McCoy is not our savior but the sad part is he might be our best DT.  

Our team is completely horrible at talent evaluation but it is not funny anymore.  I would drop Mayock and hire Kiper.  At ;east he would not be a Gruden yes man.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

100% agree except for 3 points.  Thomas is not or 5th DE but is expected to compete for a starting spot over Ferrell.  So we signed a sucky DE thinking he could play 3T but not any more.  Apparently he is close to the same level as our 4th overall DE pick but still sucks.

Our team is completely horrible at talent evaluation but it is not funny anymore.  I would drop Mayock and hire Kiper.  At ;east he would not be a Gruden yes man.

You're looking at it all wrong the Raiders want 10-15 plays from McCoy. That's it. He'll come in on 3rd and long and the final 2 minutes of the game. The Raiders are looking for someone to help finish the game not an every down DT.

11 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I just hope we can see him in a game getting whooped not saying I don’t trust grudock but I’m not saying I do either. 

6 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

That Solomon Thomas signing has some great potential to break out and we shouldn't worry about the intetior without seeing guys actually play first.........

It has been a couple of weeks of training camp. Quinten Jefferson was always going to be our starting 3T. 

3 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

You're looking at it all wrong the Raiders want 10-15 plays from McCoy. That's it. He'll come in on 3rd and long and the final 2 minutes of the game. The Raiders are looking for someone to help finish the game not an every down DT.

I have no clue how they are going to use him or how many plays he will get.  I think it is sad that we sign a 3T that is a lottery and could very easily be our top DT after signing 5 other DTs this offseason.

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

I have no clue how they are going to use him or how many plays he will get.  I think it is sad that we sign a 3T that is a lottery and could very easily be our top DT after signing 5 other DTs this offseason.

I mean yeah if you look at it that way but I mean none of them are getting paid really so that was always to be expected 

1 minute ago, Jeremy408 said:

I mean yeah if you look at it that way but I mean none of them are getting paid really so that was always to be expected 

We are probably going to spend on three of them what we could have spent to get a good option to play the position.  We could have signed Tomlinson, RRH, or Reed for what we are spending on Jefferson, Thomas, and McCoy.  If we give McCoy anything near what Reed got I will be very angry.  If we would not have guaranteed Thomas' contract we could have dumped him and gone after Reed.  So many mistakes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

We are probably going to spend on three of them what we could have spent to get a good option to play the position.  We could have signed Tomlinson, RRH, or Reed for what we are spending on Jefferson, Thomas, and McCoy.  If we give McCoy anything near what Reed got I will be very angry.  If we would not have guaranteed Thomas' contract we could have dumped him and gone after Reed.  So many mistakes.

1. Tomlinson(Who I wanted by the way although everybody said I was crazy) was more of a NT than a 3T. So he wouldn’t of given that the effect that we were looking for on his own. We would’ve still had to sign a 3T. I could’ve definitely seen people still complaining if we signed him (especially for what he ended up getting)

2. I don’t know who are RRH is

3. i’m pretty sure McCoy got around the amount that Solomon Thomas got(which was 2.8M just so we’re clear). That being said, I am pretty sure we didn’t pass on reed(who mind you, came out a month after a month into FA.) because of $2.8 million dollars. 

Thomas has always just been depth in my mind. Not good at anything but will move all over the line to spell others and if he actually breaks out then keep him there and see if it's a fluke. Jefferson is the same way in my mind. Jack of all trades but master of none. McCoy plays less than 50% of snaps unless he has the juice and wants to be squeezed. lol

15 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

1. Tomlinson(Who I wanted by the way although everybody said I was crazy) was more of a NT than a 3T. So he wouldn’t of given that the effect that we were looking for on his own. We would’ve still had to sign a 3T. I could’ve definitely seen people still complaining if we signed him (especially for what he ended up getting)

2. I don’t know who are RRH is

3. i’m pretty sure McCoy got around the amount that Solomon Thomas got(which was 2.8M just so we’re clear). That being said, I am pretty sure we didn’t pass on reed(who mind you, came out a month after a month into FA.) because of $2.8 million dollars. 

Tomlinson is more of a NT but him playing next to Lawrence last year showed how he could be used next to Hankins.  You could also leave him in during passing downs.  Not optimal choice but a clear upgrade even if we decided to not go after Hankins.  This is hindsight but we could have had Tomlinson and Reed in the middle if it all played out perfectly.

Roy Robertson-Harris - I did not like how much he got (Same with Tomlinson) but we still spent that much and got lesser talents.

Reed coming out a month into FA did make it a more complicated but that could have easily been fixed by not giving Thomas an almost 100% guaranteed contract.  They handcuffed themselves to Thomas which was stupid.  There are always going to be unforseen players hit the market after FA starts so you try to have some dry powder or contracts you can easily get out of to make moves.  Reed and Hankins would have been our best option.  If McCoy got what Thomas got then their combined salaries are more than what Reed got.

18 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Tomlinson is more of a NT but him playing next to Lawrence last year showed how he could be used next to Hankins.  You could also leave him in during passing downs.  Not optimal choice but a clear upgrade even if we decided to not go after Hankins.  This is hindsight but we could have had Tomlinson and Reed in the middle if it all played out perfectly.

Roy Robertson-Harris - I did not like how much he got (Same with Tomlinson) but we still spent that much and got lesser talents.

Reed coming out a month into FA did make it a more complicated but that could have easily been fixed by not giving Thomas an almost 100% guaranteed contract.  They handcuffed themselves to Thomas which was stupid.  There are always going to be unforseen players hit the market after FA starts so you try to have some dry powder or contracts you can easily get out of to make moves.  Reed and Hankins would have been our best option.  If McCoy got what Thomas got then their combined salaries are more than what Reed got.

If he played 3-T next to Hankins it would be the same thing as Quinton Jefferson.

The reason why I wanted him if I think it be to put him at NT and he’ll give us more pass rush than Hankins so then it helps whoever we end up starting at 3T because the interior rush would be relied on to people instead of one.

I think a key issue with what you’re saying is that is looking at it from hindsight. Nobody knew reed was going to get cut their were no rumors about Reed getting that nobody knew. People will be calling the Raiders organization crazy if we waited on someone who’s there was no guarantee was ever going to hit the open market. Because it’s unrealistic

36 minutes ago, G said:

Thomas has always just been depth in my mind. Not good at anything but will move all over the line to spell others and if he actually breaks out then keep him there and see if it's a fluke. Jefferson is the same way in my mind. Jack of all trades but master of none. McCoy plays less than 50% of snaps unless he has the juice and wants to be squeezed. lol

From the very beginning I always saw him as a high potential flyer. I think it’s why I’m not as upset as everyone else.

13 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

1. That is.....depressing. 

2. Sad, but true. 

3. 100%. We can all certainly debate guys like Leatherwood being taken too early and whether we made a dumb move and got lucky by snagging Moehrig (I think both, but I'm more than happy to have both guys, I just question the wisdom in "how" we acquired them respectively). 

But what isn't debatable anymore is how we waste pretty decent picls on longshot projects (Muse, Bowden, Deablo, etc.), guys at positions with ZERO chance of starting (Koonce, Gillespie while there were decent prospects on the board at positions like RB, WR, LB, DT- things we needed more than deep reserves), and then double down by using picks on guys like Morrissey as a 3rd C....seriously, 3 deep at C when we have the guy we let a top 5 C go in favor of and a low end starting caliber C already on the roster? (And yeah, it was a 7th rounder which is barely more than grabbing the rights to an UDFA, but again, there were UDFA guys we could've spent a 7th on to guarantee they come to Vegas that could've pushed some of the trash on the roster). 

Talent evaluation and prioritization are an absolute joke with Gruden and Mayock. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

If he played 3-T next to Hankins it would be the same thing as Quinton Jefferson.

The reason why I wanted him if I think it be to put him at NT and he’ll give us more pass rush than Hankins so then it helps whoever we end up starting at 3T because the interior rush would be relied on to people instead of one.

I think a key issue with what you’re saying is that is looking at it from hindsight. Nobody knew reed was going to get cut their were no rumors about Reed getting that nobody knew. People will be calling the Raiders organization crazy if we waited on someone who’s there was no guarantee was ever going to hit the open market. Because it’s unrealistic

Reed is hindsight but not the contracts we gave to Thomas and Jefferson.  I said from the very beginning it was mistake to give that much guaranteed money.  If we would have given 25% guaranteed then you could have gone after Reed and then let everyone battle it out in camp.  With the percentage guaranteed you have already given them a roster spot which was a poor decision for both Jefferson and Thomas.  Thomas has already proven to not be what they wanted him to be and Jefferson could end up like Collins.  

As for Tomlinson I think you could line him up next to Hankins because 1 you would completely shutdown the opposing teams run game and 2 Hankins and Tomlinson can both beat man to man blocking up the middle.  Not as much pass rush as I would like but Tomlinson adds more than Jefferson and that is from the NT position.

Reed would have been my number one choice, Tomlinson #2, and what we did would have been last with a lot of other stuff in between.